main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Episode VIII - THE LAST JEDI - Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Feb 5, 2016.

1. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Prequels don't count. :p

Zorrixor and Stymi like this.
  2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I'm telling Twitter you said that.

Zorrixor, BigAl6ft6 and DelRiego like this.
  3. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    You don't scare me.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Whereas JJ Abrams is the type of guy who has a reputation for homaging the originals of whatever he's making (Trek or Wars) and (understandably) made the first film as close to the OT as possible, I can see Rian Johnson trying to branch out more into unexplored territory. He might purposefully do so for the very reason that the #1 major complaint about TFA was that it was too much like the OT.

So I would expect we get something completely different involving space at the start of the film.

This something will obviously be Luke's hand tumbling in empty space.

5. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    I had an unhealthy amount of stress leading up to the release of Outbound Flight. "How is Zahn going to open this one with a Star Destroyer?? The only SDs in the galaxy at this time are hiding from the galaxy on Kamino! Is he going to open with a shot of Kamino, and then say 'But that has nothing to do with our story. Meanwhile, on Coruscant...'" Then the book ended up opening without a Star Destroyer and I cried for days. It's ten years later and I still haven't gotten over it.

With that said, I fully support the idea of an Episode VIII cold open. If they can pull it off as well as Scrubs always did, it'll be about six and a half minutes into the movie before we hear "I can't do this all on my own, oh no-o, I'm no Superman!" and see Rey/Finn/Poe/Kylo/Leia hanging up a chest X-ray, and we'll be like "Holy crap! That was such a long cold opening I totally forgot that the opening credits hadn't rolled yet!"

Although if a Scrubs analogy goes any further, we'll all end up hating Season --- er, Episode --- IX and purging it from our memories.

6. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Not a single part of that post makes sense to me. :p

CaptainPeabody likes this.
  7. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    I suuuuuper hope
    Laura Dern
    is playing
    Morrigan Corde.
    Or, you know, the JaBen Solo equivalent...

8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It opened with a big ship chasing a small ship and firing at it. IMO a sufficient tribute to ANH.

9. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I'm kinda expecting Benecio Del Toro to turn out to be playing Snoke, with Andy Serkis having been merely a placeholder for TFA, you know to make it similar to how Palpatine was played by a different actor when he first appeared.

darklordoftech likes this.
  10. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    They could go even further and

make Hux the Gunn Yage of the story, and Rey's half-brother. Dern could be both Rey and Hux's mother, but via different fathers. Now there'd be a twist. :p

11. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Do we really need to spoiler-block speculation based on a 10-year-old comic? :p

Revanfan1 and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  12. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Snoke is Dash Rendar pass it on

Jag4Me , Zorrixor, Ulicus and 7 others like this.
  13. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    Approved.

No, but I thought we had to spoiler block all potential VIII spoilers including casting? Unless it's okay because it was in an official press release?

14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'd say II is the only outlier. TPM was clearly inverting ANH. The consular ship lands willingly, represents the ruling power, etc etc.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

15. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005

II can be the outlier - it goes up.

All I want out of this is for the STAR WARS to be bigger than the frame and for the orchestra to actually nail that first chord. Then we'll already have an improvement.

16. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    He's got such a bounty hunter face.

17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    *blows whistle, points to Diversity thread*

18. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I've been thinking this too. Considering that mo-cap is one of Serkis's expertises, it would make sense to use Serkis for the hologram. If they're going in this direction, I wonder if Del Toro will be dubbed by Serkis.

19. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Del Toro is playing King Prana. He keeps Snokis in a cage where he wishes he had his new rapthtars. The cage is on display in his zoo. He invites Laura Dern's xenobotanist to come visit his Collection. Snokis gets loose. Mayhem ensues.

Then everyone eats Space Ice Cream before it gets bad. Also coming to a Walmart near you, 2017.

starfish likes this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Del Toro would be great as a goon, have you seen Sicario? He's amazing in that, just scary as hell. The world seems a bit darksider heavy and I'd love to see the TFA era underworld explored a bit more.

Kylun likes this.
  21. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Eh, I'd only really be okay with this if it turns out the hologram is significantly different from what Snoke actually looks like (such as the observation someone made that he may have given it scars that resemble Vader's). Otherwise I'm not sure a recast is a good idea.

Ulicus likes this.
  22. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Way back in the day, I wanted Gunn to be Kol's, too, with Cade dying (because **** Cade) and the torch passing to her.

So when you say this, what goes through my head is: "OMG HUX IS JACEN SKYWALKER".

23. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Del Toro looks too much like Thrawn guys

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  24. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015

[​IMG]

Maybe.

[​IMG]

Definite maybe.

25. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Gunn as Kol's daughter? That would be cool. She and Cade would still be half-siblings, with Calixte being one of their moms and Nei Rin being the other's mom. I liked Cade as the Legacy protagonist because he was half-Vong, though. Points for diversity.