main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story Star Trek Medical mayhem, prompt challenge

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by earlybird-obi-wan, Jan 9, 2016.

1. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Medical mayhem
    Author: Earlybird-obi-wan
    Characters: McCoy, Kirk, Uhura, Spock and OC’s
    Genre: short pieces
    Disclaimer: The usual.

Sequel to
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/star-trek-medbay-mayhem-prompt-challenge.50018992/]Star[/url] Trek, Medbay mayhem

Beginnings
    Soft sounds of waves crashing on the beach reached the ears of the sleeping Nick. That the sounds could reach him was due to the open window in the chamber reserved for him alone. He didn’t like to be there at all but he had to. He was injured during one of the last missions with the Enterprise and recovering in Coronado Seaview Hospital.

Nick opened his eyes, a small smile in them when he heard the crashing waves. His beginnings had been there a little bit farther down the beach in the vast complex that had forged him into a Federation SEAL and after a medical discharge into a skilled doctor serving with Starfleet and on the Enterprise until some nitwit upper moron had discharged him because of his injuries.

But there would be new beginnings. McCoy was here in the hospital, having a new job as well after Jim Kirk had accepted the promotion to admiral.

Nick knew he would recover, marry his beloved Teri and get a new job.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Super start. :) :) I will be watching this one. :)

3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    What a sweet start to the story! [face_love] I can't wait to see where this goes!

4. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    With some fun coming from the next prompt

Wine and dine

Nick saw her coming. She was as always lovely and a beauty to behold. She was alone. ‘Spock must be busy.’

“Hey Nick,” Nyota entered and sat down on one of the chairs next to the bed. “Is old grumpy pestering you to much? You look tired.”

“Grumpy has given me exercises just one hour ago and yes I am still recovering from that prodding and poking,” Nick grumbled with a small smile appearing in his eyes. “But it is very nice to see you. How are things going?”

“I am working at headquarters with Audrey,” Uhura began to tell. “And one of the last things,” she began to smile when she reached for her PDA. “You should see this.”

“This,” Nick laughed when he saw what was on the PDA. “It looks like a pyjama with a restraining collar. McCoy should see this. I bet he will be delighted to have escaped that. Who designed that?”

“A famous Paris couturier,” Nyota grinned. “He must have been to a pyjama-party.”

“Paris gives nothing but trouble,” Nick sighed when a sharp pain coursed through his left leg.

“For you,” Nyota put her hand on Nick’s right arm and patted it softly. “I have read your file and know. But for Spock and me it was nice to visit again.”

“You have seen all the highlights?”

“The Notre Dame, the Eiffel tower, the Louvr,” Nyota stopped for a moment when she saw the painful frown on Nick’s face and continued “the Sacre-Coeur on Montmartre was nice with the artists and the restaurants.”

Nick looked for a moment to the almost empty IV-bag before seeing the now radiant smile on Uhura’s face.

“Wine and dine,” Nyota smiled “that was one of the most delightful things I have done with my beloved when we visited the Moulin Rouge.”

“And nothing naughty after that,” Nick was now totally distracted from the pain in his leg.

“I can tell you only this,” Nyota giggled.

Beep beep

“That’s my wine coming,” Nick sighed when a nurse entered with a new IV-bag and began to hook it up.

“And you should be asleep Mr. Roberts,” the nurse said with a stern voice when she injected medicines in the tap. “Visiting hour is over.”

“Time flies,” Nick mumbled when the fast acting sleep medicine began to claim him. “See you soon and…” Eyes drifted shut after seeing Nyota leaving.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Nice use of the prompt with a friendly visit full of teasing and reminiscing. :)

6. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    “For you,” Nyota put her hand on Nick’s right arm and patted it softly. “I have read your file and know. But for Spock and me it was nice to visit again.”

This was a beautiful line of empathy and shared bonds, perfectly captured; I absolutely loved it.

And I loved Nyota's thoughts on Paris. It's nice to know that some things never change, even so far into the future. :p [face_love]

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Paris will always be Paris. [face_love] [:D] !!!

8. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    And more to come with what's happening at the trial.
    We will always have Paris. And Nyota is again comforting

Momentum

“I mentioned my bondmate,” Nyota beamed. Two days after the long day at the court she was visiting Nick Roberts in the hospital. McCoy had asked her and she would be a great distraction.

Nick felt McCoy beginning to remove the splint but was drawn in by her mesmerising dark eyes. Nyota was still savouring the momentum when she saw Admiral Silvo Panusconi slumping in his chair after her devastating words and telling him that Spock would be testifying at the trial.

“It was fantastic,” Nyota laughed.

“Spock will be thrilled if and when he comes to the stand,” Nick grinned.

“He will be very persuasive.”

“Oh really,” McCoy halted for only a moment.

“Even more I suppose as when he was under our care in the medbay and trying to escape our prodding and poking.”

“He always is,” Nyota smiled.

“And making a beeline towards his beloved after he is done arguing,” Nick remembered when Spock was arguing with McCoy to leave their tender and loving care and Nyota barely keeping him there in the medbed.

“I stayed with him after you asked for a very persuasive keep the patient in his bed companion.”

Hmpff

“And had him working when you brought him his datapad,” Nick smirked. “No relaxation…”

“Oh yes Doctor Roberts,” Nyota interrupted. “And you too are totally relaxed not minding at all that our grumpy…”

“Grumpy,” McCoy looked up from his work on the leg.

“Ouch,” Nick grumped.

“I will tell you more about the trial,” Nyota patted Nick on his hand.

“And what came after that,” Nick was again distracted “including the details.”

“Not all but I will begin.”

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Great banter, very distracting indeed. :D

10. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    I loved the banter here; it's great to see everyone relaxing and healing, in more ways than one. [face_love]

11. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    and it is continuing

Overflow
    McCoy was doubled over with laughter when Nyota finished her details.

“Easy Len,” Nick grumped good naturedly “I feel my leg again.”

“You didn’t hear his tale yet,” Nyota smiled. “Audrey insisted, Jim took action and invited McCoy.”

“For what,” Nick saw the mischief in Nyota’s eyes and the shaking of a head, McCoy’s.

“To sort through the overflow of candidates all wanting to become chief medical officer on the Enterprise,” McCoy kept shaking his head. “They all praised the Enterprise and bragged about being the better man. Jim still wants me to come back but I won’t.”

“I know why,” Nick grinned. “You don’t because of the overflow of nitwit top-brass that’s still occupying command.”

“That’s why and I have to help you to get moving again,” McCoy began to apply the splint.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    =D= Great and speedy use of Overflow.

13. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I agree. Good use of overflow.

14. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    That's definitely a great use of the prompt; the dialogue here was spot-on point. =D=

15. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    And a short one again

Kaleidoscope
    Nick smiled when she left. The kaleidoscope of details Nyota was telling had him guessing what she had done with her bondmate after the trial. It was naughty and very sweet.
    And it brought memories from the naughty day he had when Lionel Majeski visited him.

‘I was back from a mission with team 3 and enjoying some free time when I heard a transporter sound. It’s very distinct and not loved by me at all. I don’t like scrambling my atoms. And who was there? Lionel Majeski. He had found out that I was back in Coronado and told me about Starfleet academy and the medical training. I could tell him about my medical training and BUD/S. And that had us going to the beach, getting wet and sandy and meeting those girls when we were eating our MRE’s. And what we did with those girls…’

Nick fell asleep with a smile on his face. That had been a kaleidoscope of funny things.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  16. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    I like how you used the prompt here; it's definitely a good way to frame a memory. And what a memory Nick has. :p =D=

17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Why does Nick sound like a true and utter Rogue ;) [face_mischief] Woot!

18. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    And the next one has Teri with some thoughts.
    A Rogue sure, you will see more of that

Heartbeat
    Teri smiled. She was – head resting on Nick’s broad chest – listening to his regular heartbeat.

He had fallen asleep after she had guided him back to his room after the therapy given by McCoy in the swimming-pool of the hospital.

She had been there, guiding him in his wheelchair towards that swimming-pool.
    She had seen his emotions.
    She had been there holding his hands when McCoy gave the therapy, painful but endurable with her loving and encouraging talk and questions about friends.

He had told her funny stories about his SEAL-training and Kyle Crisson.

And yes mentioning Kyle had her with a mission.
    She would ask Nyota Uhura and Ms Fontein if there was a chance that Kyle would be exonerated. The man has done nothing wrong going public on the Iriona II mission.
    She could go public too like Kyle had done. Iriona II wasn’t something to put under wraps.

Teri smiled. Nick would sure support her.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Superb with Teri. :) Sweet use of Heartbeat. :D

20. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Interesting one with Heartbeat.

Clearly you have a coherent storyline running here, rather than my random one-shots.

Iriona II sounds mildly intriguing.

21. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    This was a beautiful moment to capture; I loved the peace of it, even with the flow of Teri's introspection. [face_love]=D=

22. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    and now one with Audrey, Jim and more
    The prompt's are set in the same timeframe as the entries in the diary of Nick

thank you

Portrait
    “Nogura’s portrait was in that hall,” McCoy huffed. “He is an active duty admiral and the others I saw were from the past. Admiral Jonathan Archer sure deserved a place but Heihachiro Nogura?”

“New ideas?” Nick shook his head.

“Hero worship coming no doubt from Lori Ciana, Nogura’s protégé. She had a vote in decorating the new building.”

“Lori, I have seen her once during Kyle Crisson’s party,” Nick reached for the controls to get his bed in a reclining position. “She was giving me looks but lost interest when I ignored her.”

“You could ignore her just like Jim,” McCoy grabbed the pillow when it started to glide down and fluffed it before placing it behind Nick’s back. “Audrey confided to me that Nogura was steering Lori towards Jim.”

“No success?”

“No,” McCoy grinned. “Jim has found his great love in Audrey. She is now first and the Enterprise second. But Jim’s love for the Enterprise has saved many missions.”

“When I came to the Enterprise his love was Audrey.”

“I remember one from the third year. Sometimes it was necessary to complete a mission as in the case of transporting Elaan – the Dohlman of Elas – to Troyius. With Elaan becoming rather violent and stabbing the Troyian ambassador when he wanted to teach her social graces I learned more about the Vulcan lyre during a briefing with Nyota, Spock and Kirk. Uhura argued to use the instrument to calm Elaan down before anyone else was injured. She seduced Kirk with her tears, containing a strong love potion. But with the Enterprise in danger his love for the Dohlman evaporated.” McCoy gave a wink with his left eye “the wedding gift saved the Enterprise. The crystals were pure dilithium.”

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  23. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Excellent use of portrait. :D And the Vulcan lyre. :) [face_sigh] And the one playing it LOL

24. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    This was a wonderful use of the prompt! I loved the story, along with the message behind it. It's really wonderful to see a day where the Enterprise is second in Kirk's heart, but rightfully so. ;) [face_love]

25. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    The standard practise of commissioning art for new buildings, and name-dropping one of the Starfleet admirals that I remember, are an interesting angle on the Star Trek universe you are going with.

The last paragraph confused me though, Not familiar enough to know how the dilithium crystals - part of the lyre? - took care of the Dohlman.

Any significance to the eye that McCoy chose to wink?