main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge February 2016 Word Race! Please Post final counts by March 2nd!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Jan 18, 2016.

1. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Don't forget that it's a leap year, everyone. You still have roughly a day, depending on what portion of this pale blue dot you call home. :)

2. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    LAST DAY!

My muse has sputtered and died (my brain is currently going SHAVIT! SHAVIT! EVERYTHING YOU WRITE OR EVEN THINK OF IS SHAVIT!). So I'm thinking my final count is going to be 10279.

Findswoman , Chyntuck and Ewok Poet like this.
  3. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I spent my weekend mostly cutting words rather than writing new ones. My final count is 24,092.

4. CheckSix

CheckSix Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 15, 2015
    For February, 15,175.

Something that amazes me on this site (and I just had this conversation in a pm with someone) is how one person can write multiple stories at a time, especially when those stories are all with different characters and on disparate topics. I have NEVER been able to do that. I focus on one story at a time and block out everything that might compete with it until it's finished. Maybe this is the wrong place, but I'm very curious how multi-story writers don't go nuts with unfinished tales!

5. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Outlining the diaries and the 50 titles challenge took up most of the words for this month and gives me a grip on them.

Chyntuck and Findswoman like this.
  6. CheckSix

Dec 15, 2015
    ^^
    Earlybird Obiwan, so you're also an outliner? Truly, I find more fascinating things on this site every day. I never realized how many people create outlines before they write.
    @earlybird-obiwan

Chyntuck and Findswoman like this.
  7. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    I can't outline worth crap.

CheckSix and Chyntuck like this.
  8. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    My outlines tend to be very basic. Like "one word per chapter to jog my memory" basic. But I like to work on 2 fics at a time. If my muse is being a butt about one story, I can swap to the other, still get my 'calming fic' time in, then return to the other when my mind has had a break and cleared itself of frustrations.

CheckSix, Chyntuck and Ewok Poet like this.
  9. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I allow myself to work on as many things as I want to at the same time - whether this is work or a hobby. Naturally, this ends with numerous scheduling conflicts, but in the case of fanfic, the worst that can happen is not updating it for a couple of months, which happened to err...both of my 2015 longfics at some point. Then again, if one thing's stuck, the may thrive, so this approach has a positive side, too.

As for the results... My final word count is 38471.

CheckSix and Findswoman like this.
  10. Padawan4687

Padawan4687 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 10, 2010
    Well, now that I know that RP posts as well as Story segments are counted towards your final score, I'm a bit busy counting! :p

Chyntuck, Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  11. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002

Same here, on paper. I can outline sometimes in my head, but generally, I either think about things, or shoot from the cuff. Usually no outlining or planning with my RP posts.

I don't know if the term counts for designing spaceship decks and stuff, but I do need to know the environment around my character.

Ewok Poet, CheckSix and Chyntuck like this.
  12. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I don't mean I don't do any planning. I take notes and keep them for reference. But I can't outline a story. If I do, my brain goes "Okay, story's told, let's do something else now!" I keep 99% of it in my head as I'm writing. It gets a wee bit confusing when I'm writing more than one at a time, as I'm doing now (and they all take place at roughly the same time).

I'm going to try to break 60k before midnight. Two and a half hours to go and I'm at 58k.

13. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Best of luck with that, DS.

Chyntuck likes this.
  14. Padawan4687

Padawan4687 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 10, 2010
    Argh, the PC profile that has almost all of my word count is locked for the night! :oops:I was still counting, too...

Chyntuck likes this.
  15. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Oh, no! Well, the word count isn't due til March 2, so you've still got time to tally it up.

Chyntuck likes this.
  16. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    It looks like my final word count for the month will be 7817. I had been hoping to try to squeeze enough out of myself tonight to get up to 8000, but I'm just too tired, and I've still beaten my previous word race count anyway (by about 16%, it looks like).

Ewok Poet and Chyntuck like this.
  17. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I found that doing this 50 word prompt thing really helped get me going. They're connected, in the same story, but I don't have to fill in every detail. I just write vignettes that are part of a larger whole.

Findswoman and Chyntuck like this.
  18. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Final word count is the same as last posted number.

19. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Final word count, with two minutes to midnight: 60,748

20. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Final word count: non-zero, but too low for prizes. All I got done were two RPG posts, and I'm too lazy to go find them to calculate a word count. :p I know it's well below the prize threshold, though.

21. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Maybe next month!

22. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I kinda did a mad-dash to midnight on my mindless fic and made it to 10792. I'm fairly happy with it.

I'm going to wait till after March 2nd to do colours and awards. I want to make sure everyone has a chance to post final counts. But with so many people getting colours, I'm going to have to do it all at once. Normally I do like to make sure everyone has a chance to enjoy their colours, but it's not going to be feasible for me this time around, so I will try to have the PM regarding colours out the afternoon of the 3rd.

Chyntuck, Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  23. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Final count is 9617. So close and yet so far.

24. CheckSix

Dec 15, 2015
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts on outlining. I just have this overwhelming curiosity about other people's writing process. It's neat To get a glimpse at how other people approach their stories. Thanks again.

25. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Oops, I meant to comment on this too! You are absolutely not alone as a non-outliner. I generally will have in mind the basic gestalt of what should happen in a story or a chapter. That gestalt varies in its level of detail from story to story or from chapter to chapter, and at most I may scrawl it down in a notebook or into my story document. The actual detailed action of the chapter I fill in as I write. Now and again I've tried to outline, but it's always been abortive, devolving pretty quickly into the above-mentioned general-gestalt-scrawl. :oops:

(Just describing here what I personally do—nothing at all against people who take other approaches! And I hope the mods are all right with my chiming in on this at this late juncture—sorry about that.)