main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge February 2016 Word Race! Please Post final counts by March 2nd!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Jan 18, 2016.

1. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    If these counts are final and if Dantana Skywalker is still willing to excuse herself from the grand prize, I don't want it either because I had it in May...does that mean we're getting a fairly new author to have a sticky? That's exciting! =D=

That said, 60K...I...just...can't...even...wow! That was awesome!

I forgot to respond. My approach is similar to @Findswoman's, with one difference - her fics have been brewing for about a decade and a half, mine are reworks of a silly self-made comic from 1993, a silly dream-turned-short-story from early 1996 and the rest are numerous derivatives.

And funny enough, I have problems with one of my longfics because I created an outline. It makes no sense, but I wish it had no arc it has in its first quarter.

I guess different people have different approaches.

The point was to write more, not to write for a prize. Sorry to yak. :p

jcgoble3, CheckSix and Findswoman like this.
  2. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    I normally outline, but for my DDC 2016 entry I have been pretty much going on instinct and writing with only a basic idea of the plot.

Chyntuck, Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  3. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

+1

leiamoody and Findswoman like this.
  4. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    I generally don't outline on paper - however for longfics I have a master document separated into chapters with a table of contents so I can add snippets of dialogue and scenes as I think of them. I usually have the broad outline worked out in my head.

The only exception was for one longfic where I was dealing with two timelines and I not only had to make sure the narratives were the same length, but also match up chapters so that go some extent one timeline shed light on the other. I realised about ten chapters in that it required a more detailed outline than a plan floating around in my head.

There's a good quote by George R Martin about writers being Gardeners or Architects. I'm definitely a gardener.

Chyntuck likes this.
  5. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Yes, I'm still disqualifying myself from the prizes. I was a manager for a year, that's enough colours for me. And I don't need the sticky. No one reads my brand of stuff anyway these days.

Chyntuck likes this.
  6. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    This. There's a Word Document and a notebook on Evernote, with numbered chapters and I may add to one, add to another, whichever way I please. There may be such dialogue bits lying around for months before an actual chapter forms around them.

I guess I'm a gardener too, then?

I would. I just...have no general knowledge and you would end up with a LOT of stupid questions about...err...everything. [face_blush]

Also, my brand of stuff is far stranger, if that's of any concern. I stuck a Legends character into new canon timeline and created something that slightly resembles...wait, what does it resemble, anyway? Oh yes, Kafka. It resembles Kafka's novels with a touch of some strange brand of humour. Then it went a bit too far and each side character got their own story line. Like, a guy referenced in a single sentence is now writing his autobiography. A random item originally meant to be just a memento now has a complicated history and is a clan symbol.

Poor Legends character now deserves extra credit for having grown up with a bunch of incredible weirdos. That said, there's a point where she's weird, too and since I'm in the stages of writing the chapters where she grows out of a VERY shallow crush, it's going to be fun.

7. Padawan4687

Padawan4687 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 10, 2010
    Okay, finally finished counting for now! I managed to build up my word count to 10,389! :D

[face_laugh] All I can do is think back to that one night of Word Wars in which I managed to produce a whole 15k of words... my hands were absolutely dying by the time I went to bed, but I thought it was worth it! Maybe I'll manage another 5k or something before the night ends...

Chyntuck, Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  8. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Padawan4687, woo-hooo, congrats, either way. :) You're doing great and you seem to be more and more confident as you go! =D=

Findswoman and Padawan4687 like this.
  9. Padawan4687

Jul 10, 2010
    Thank you, Ewok Poet! Heh, I can't believe I got it so high, I was expecting my grand total to just be 5k or something! [face_blush]
    If this was November, though... that's a totally different story. :p

EDIT: It's 11,129 now. :D

10. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Well, I've never managed to earn a prize in a monthly word race. I was hoping to make it to prize level this time, but the inspiration wasn't there, and I ended up writing no more than I typically do. So it's a goal not reached. ;)

11. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Oooook, but you sport these colours more than an average peacock bird. *shrug* :p

Findswoman likes this.
  12. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Shhh! These colors expired a couple of weeks ago, but the Arena mods are too lazy to realize they need to remove them. :p

Chyntuck and Ewok Poet like this.
  13. gaarastar58

gaarastar58 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2010
    I know I am a day late (been busy with job applications and study... and catching up on House of Cards before the new season comes out) but my total is 36,551

Chyntuck, Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  14. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    First off, if I have made any mistakes, please let me know ASAP

A big congratulations to our overall winner:

gaarastar58 with 36551

Our other week-long colour winners are:

Ewok Poet - 38417
    earlybird-obi-wan - 25871

Winning 48 hours of colours are:

CheckSix - 15175
    Sith-I-5- 13579
    Padawan4687 - 10389
    Pandora - 10314

And the 24 hour winners are:

Findswoman - 7817
    leiamoody - 6470
    Raissa Baiard - 6308

Out of Competition

Dantana Skywalker - 60784
    Chyntuck - 24092
    Briannakin - 10792
    JadeLotus - 8810

leiamoody, Ewok Poet and Chyntuck like this.
  15. Padawan4687

Jul 10, 2010
    :eek: Somone got over 200 thousand words?! In a single 29-day month?! *jaw hits the floor cartoon-style*

Chyntuck likes this.
  16. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Nope. There's an extra digit somewhere in there

17. Padawan4687

Jul 10, 2010
    *fumbles and slowly brings her jaw back up* Are you sure about that? :p

Chyntuck likes this.
  18. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Derp. Can not brain today. Everyone who should get a PM should have gotten them. If there are issues, just yell at me.

Ewok Poet, Findswoman and Chyntuck like this.
  19. Padawan4687

Jul 10, 2010

[face_laugh] Okay, now I see it!

Findswoman and Chyntuck like this.
  20. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I can see an issue of some magazine on the table. Therefore.... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

Is that what you wanted us to do?

Couldn't resist. Sorry. Won't continue. :p

Sith-I-5 and Findswoman like this.
  21. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    I should do better next time, if there is another word race. My colors make me feel like I'm wearing Hammer pants. [face_dancing]

Chyntuck, Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  22. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Your colors are reminding me of the computer screens of a certain era—which is a good thing, because memories, memories, memories! :D

And Ewok Poet, yours are very, very Ewok Poet. And Padawan4687, you have a color scheme like some African violets, which is always a nice thing. :cool:

(Not sure mine are going to show up yet—I only just sent them in. But they're pink and brown.)

(EDIT: Ohmigosh, my pink almost exactly matches my avatar's outfit—will have to remember that for future word races! [face_dancing] )

23. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I have a compromise for the two posts above.

And I love, love everybody's colour schemes. <3

leiamoody and Findswoman like this.
  24. Padawan4687

Jul 10, 2010
    Tee-hee, I love my colors! :D

Chyntuck and Ewok Poet like this.
  25. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Congrats to gaarastar58 and everyone who participated! These are amazing word counts, and I'm looking forward to reading those stories. Also, great colour schemes :)