main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Jason Fry Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 4, 2012.

1. Cappy97

Cappy97 Jedi Master star 1

May 25, 2005
    Jason - Do you know if there will be a hardcover collection of Servants of the Empire or a boxed set? (Probably more of a question for the publisher but thought I'd give it a shot)

CooperTFN likes this.
  2. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Not that I've heard. I think some kind of repackaging/rebranding would be a great idea. Best advice: let Disney/LFL know you want it!

Cappy97 likes this.
  3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I'm always saying Disney doesn't post here often enough. :p

4. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    What, are you expecting Mickey Mouse himself to start a new thread? Hot doggity dog!

5. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Would he be an Author or an Artist?

Jeff_Ferguson likes this.
  6. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Well, he's an actor, isn't he?

Vthuil likes this.
  7. Cappy97

Cappy97 Jedi Master star 1

May 25, 2005
    Went the twitter route, it's unbelievably difficult to find an email for them surprisingly.

jasonfry likes this.
  8. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
  9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    If it's genuine and along the lines of Rey's Survival Guide I'd probably pick it up.

10. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    The listing is genuine but possibly incorrect--I believe it's written solely by Michael Kogge. Jason may even have confirmed as much earlier in this thread IIRC.

ETA: Hm, I may have been thinking of this. Amazon has listings for the Poe journal with and without Jason so it's hard to say.

11. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    If this Poe's pilot journal is true, I'll die of delight. :D

Sure would be an awesome spot to drop some details on the NRDF and it's units. ;) :p

--Adm. Nick

12. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    No such project on my ledger. But Mike Kogge's the man. Will happily buy it!

13. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    Poe's Pilot logbook was confirmed a while a go I think, at least on facebook from jedi-bibliotech. whether it is being jointly written with Jason is the mystery.....!

EDIT: proper ninja'd there! thanks for the clarification Jason. Another example of Amazon assuming it is Mr Fry again!

14. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    Warfare question if you don't mind, Jason. The section on the Prefsbelt Academy describes that the institution's commissioning ceremony happens in the crypt of a character referred to as the "Father of the Navy." Is this new, or is it based on existing canon? If it's new, is the Father of the Navy supposed to be the same person as the ancient admiral described earlier in the section? Also, is there a real-life basis for this tradition?

Great, sequence, by the way; really creepy. Reminded me of Warhammer, actually, with the corpse of the Emperor of Man kept preserved in the depths of his palace.

15. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    One of my favorite lore aspects in the book. Hope it gets re-canonized one day since Prefsbelt is already there. ;)

King of Alsakan likes this.
  16. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003

Pers Pradeux is the Father of the Navy. IIRC he was invented for Warfare.

I gather I'd like Warhammer. Don't know anything about it, but folks have cited it in liking both the Prefsbelt material and the Pius Dea Crusades....

17. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm about 60 percent positive that the original inventor of the Pius Dea Crusades was familiar with Warhammer 40,000, though it's at least conceivably a coincidence.

18. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    The cathedral ships really do look a lot like Imperium tech from WH.

19. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I always place that first contact between the sector I created for myself and the Republic was during the Pius Dea Crusades and that's why they were wary of the Republic for several millennia. Heck after reading the Pius Dea Crusades, even I almost cheered for the Empire and I'm in favour of democracy (50 % of the time).

20. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    The Pius Dea crusades are fun because in the end, the Republic's worlds basically had to rally too reclaim the Republic from the Pius Dea leadership. IIRC, the final battles had an alliance of Alaskani, Corellian, Duros, and other worlds (with Jedi support) combine to end the Pius Dea. Of all of the concepts from the old EU that I would have loved to see fleshed out, this is one of them.

--Adm. Nick

21. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Bob Iger did say the franchise has a 25000 year-span in one of his early comments on the acquisition.

22. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003

You and me both. I let myself imagine that as a pretty awesome big novel or trilogy. So many cool elements: You've got the Jedi in seclusion and then re-emerging as privateers and adventurers; a link with ROTS in the Jedi moving against the Chancellor and taking over the Senate (for a very good reason); the Hutts as good guys; Pius Dea Jedi doing horrible things; and the chance to explore the weirdo world of BoSS hierophants and turn them into heroes. And then the spooky death sentence for the Pius Dea crews. All good stuff. Oh well. Maybe someday!

23. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    The beauty of these early stories (timeline wise) is that they don't conflict with the current canon, so it isn't hard to see how the can be fit in and expanded on. Hell, even if the current canon doesn't make the Old Republic a 25 millenia old organization, the vast majority of the overall story of the Pius Dea Crusades would be salvageable.

Good point too, Jason, on this being an example when the Jedi taking over the Senate is a good thing. Great parallel to ROTS, plus there are even elements of the Pius Dea era that tie into the Rebellion. After all, just as the Rebellion was an alliance to restore the Republic, you could argue that the world's that rose up against the Pius Dea were doing exactly the same thing.

It was ultimately, at least in my view, a battle for the heart and soul of the Republic. With the Pius Dea and the Renunciates/Jedi/Republic worlds representing the dark and the light. Really brilliant stuff, I should dust off my copy of the EGTW and re-read it! :D

--Adm. Nick

24. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    Pius Dea Crusades or Alsakan Conflict stories would be awesome. If my memory serves me right, I remember EGTW mentioned that some of the Pius Dea Crusades battles were akin to trench warfare, that would be interesting to see set in the Star Wars universe. Plus throw in some of those planet destroying mass driver battleships would be great too. It would certainly be a interesting history to explore. Personally, I would just love to see an all out brawl set within the Core Worlds involving large clashes of troops and warships.

darklordoftech and darthosaka like this.
  25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I can never decide if I'm supposed to like the Pius Dea Republic or not.

Sorry, I always take sides. I have to. It's what I do.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

TheRedBlade and jSarek like this.