main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters Luke and Mara Index & Discussion (2.0)! *New Topic: Change is Hard!*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luke_Mara_Index, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I tend to agree with Mav. Almost everyone's muse likes new and shiny things, which was what TFA brought us. Most people did get bit with new bunnies - Luke or LM centric or not. Which is fine. I personally love the fact that, at least until May 2017, we can freely insert Mara into the new canon. And, maybe, if they give Luke a new lover/wife in the new canon, maybe I will like her and write fics with her, maybe I'll hate her. It's impossible to tell. Maybe they won't mention a wife by name (Padmè got one very indirect mention in all the OT). Maybe they will let the books fill in that role if there's need for one (IE if Rey is Luke's daughter).

And, I don't think LM will die out completely either, even if Luke is given a new wife everyone loves. LM stories did take a hard hit after Mara died in the books. Yes, there was a bit of resurgence due to a number of factors (a couple of very prolific writers, the fact that a number of us kept in touch over the move of 2012). But I think most of us can still love the old and the new canon and write in both. And, as Mav pointed out, there are still FRIENDS fanfic being written and other shows and movies and books that have long since ended that still get fanfic written about them.

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  2. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    My OTP will always be Luke and Mara. But if they introduce love interests for Luke in the new canon, and they're interesting make sense, I'll probably ship them too. While Heir to the Jedi was pretty terrible, Nakari was a pretty awesome character and a good match for Luke at that point in his life
    until they fridged her:mad:
    More than anything I want Luke to have had some semblance of happiness post-ROTJ until everything goes to hell, and if that doesn't include Mara, I'm okay with that. She still exists, just in an alternate universe.

But I'm still going to write L/M - I have too many half-written fics and gestating plot bunnies to stop now. As others have said, the L/M fandom kind of died a little after Sacrifice, and if anything the new films have brought people back to Star Wars, and some of them back to Legends as well. It's only a matter of time before the "Mara in TFA" and universe-hopping fics start to pop up.

3. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Irish_Jedi_Jade Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2007
    As always, JadeLotus you somehow know exactly how I'm feeling and plop it out so eloquently!!! I don't know that I'll ever be able to fully embrace the possibility of Luke being with anyone but Mara in any universe...but if she's 1/2 as cool as Mara, I will...grudgingly accept her. Maybe. [face_waiting] But I agree...Luke has had such a crappy life in any incarnation of the GFFA...and he deserves happiness. But in my mind, it will always be the happiness people like ginchy and you write for them [face_love] And I'm pretty sure I'll still be writing L/M until I'm old and grey, or I've beaten Disney into submission and they feature her.

Side note I'll just throw out there--and it has spoilers, so I'll hide it for any of you sinners who haven't seen TFA yet:

So I feel like for all of JJ Abram's protestations that he is not using any of the EU...he lies [face_mischief] A kid named Ben, Han and Leia's son goes dark (cough, cough Jacen anyone?!?!)...He's cherrypicking. And I am TOTALLY okay with that!!!! So let me just tell you the perfect way to resolve all this craziness with wiping away the EU in my mind...Just let Luke (in any of the movies to come) see a red-headed woman with ambiguously colored eyes I can believe are green[face_whistling]...and have him smile at her. Or look vaguely interested. Or her smile at him coyly. SOMETHING!!!! ANYTHING!!![face_praying] And I'll be the happiest fangirl that ever fangirl'd. [face_dancing][face_love][face_party][face_peace]

4. Annia Piet

Annia Piet Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    See, I admire those that are able to embrace the idea of a new love interest for Luke because I'm not sure if I can. It may be because I've always been primarily a Mara fan rather than a Luke fan. I'm certainly willing to be won round, as with all thing nu canon, but I think this will be the hardest sell for me. My main problem is that I hate the idea of a character who is created JUST to be his love interest. This was always one of my big problems with Callista and some of the other EU love interests - female characters that are solely as a love interest are very hard for me to connect with. One of Mara's great strengths as a love interest for Luke was the very fact that she'd been created as an independent character and had her own character arc and whole life before she got romantically involved with him.

This will be very hard for the nu canon to recreate with a new character. One way they could is to instead focus on Skymom's (sorry, i know that term is a popular place holder at the moment, I really hate it because once again it reduces the hypothetical females role to merely wife and mother. Which incapsulates my concerns) relationship with Rey, mother to daughter, instead of her relationship with Luke, which would leave her defined by her relationship to a man. A Mother/daughter focus would also make a nice reflection of the Father/son focus of the original trilogy.

My opinion is an unpopular one I know, and I completely understand and respect why others are willing to move on and see a new love interest introduced.

5. Grade

Grade Jedi Master star 1

Jan 17, 2013
    I would say, I'm with Geroge Lucas on this one. I look the old Eu and the new one has two different universes, where one Luke is with Mara and the other that there is a possibility they aren't together...

Then there is my universe, are they together? Who knows? It will depende the direction I take my version of Star Wars universe.

Annia Piet likes this.
  6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    I agree 100% with JadeLotus because I want Luke to be happy but with Annia Piet 's caveat. I don't like women who are created as love interests solely. :eek: Fingernails on blackboards anyone? :p That was why I loved Mara, and still do, love Valara [face_batting] and absolutely adore Ayesha as created by Chyntuck. what do they all have in common? They stand alone and apart as resilient, courageous, fascinating women who just happen to fall for lovable/intriguing protagonist(s). But if they never did, I'd still like them. They're well-rounded and it's the romance that enriches them rather than that's the only reason I'm in the scene. :p You can see what the guy sees in her because the intelligence, complexity, and the personality are awesome.

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Irish_Jedi_Jade started this scrumptious thing in Beyond Legends:

Link removed

The title says it all. [face_love] [face_batting]

8. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Nyota's Heart , Please do not pimp fics here, even if it isn't your own. Thanks

9. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Reading this last page, spiked a memory...Mara tracking Jacen to a planet and confronting him.

:( I had forgotten she'd died.

10. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Jul 19, 2007
    yeah....welcome back to the stupid reality of Profic :_|

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Drowned out and superceded by the glory of fanfic. [face_laugh] =D=

12. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yes, well, since Legends never really got a firm conclusion, did Mara really get killed by Jacen, or was it all a bad dream :p

This actually gives me an idea for a challenge [face_devil]

13. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005

That's the last time that Luke and Mara go out for Bothan food...

14. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    O.M.G. The posts in this thread today have made me laugh harder than I have in awhile.

And yes, Bri, I think we may need a challenge based on this! [face_batting]

15. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I'll make up some sort of "resurrect Mara in the Legends Canon because no one will ever tell us it isn't AU" challenge when I get home tonight.

I actually have a fic started doing just this, but I figured I completely had to restart it to get it to work at all. Maybe a challenge will get me off my butt and get me re-writing it.

16. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    As I read the last few posts about Mara's death being forgotten, or that it was a dream, I came up with this idea in Photoshop. Anyone remember the Dallas episode where Bobby suddenly appeared after he "died"?

[​IMG]

As some of you may already know, I also have fics that have revised the events of Sacrifice. I'm all in for another challenge on the subject. After all, thanks to Disney obliterating the EU canon, that profic never happened!

whiskers, mavjade , Sith-I-5 and 2 others like this.
  17. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Welcome to the Luke/Mara “Back from the Dead”/”No-one-can-tell-us-it-is-au-if-it-is-past-Crucible” challenge!

Now that Disney has canned the “Legends” EU (for better or for worse), we probably won’t be getting any more tales continuing the story of the Luke Skywalker that married Mara Jade and had a son named Ben (SKYWALKER). It is up to Fanfic (we always handled the characters better anyways). So, if you were to say, resurrect Mara Jade sometime after 45 ABY, no one can say it isn’t canon.

The Rules:
    1. The fic can be any genre (romance, fluff, horror, angst) and any length (there is no due date)

2. The fic must remain Legends canon-compatible, meaning Sacrifice, the rest of LOTF, FOTJ and Crucible (as horrible as it was) must have happened (though having read them isn’t required). So the fic must take place post-45 ABY (if the events were not dreamt)

3. You must return Mara back from the dead in some way. Some ideas (that actually come from my own plot bunnies) are
    - her death and subsequent events were all just a dream
    - Luke goes all out Victor Frankenstein and creates a new Mara
    - Mara comes from an alternative universe
    - Mara (very elaborately) faked her own death (or someone else faked it)
    - Mara’s spirit pulls either a Palpatine (with a clone) or a Callista (with someone else’s body) (please no!)
    - spontaneous resurrection

4. You must also include (at least) one of these phrases (or a slightly edited version)
    - “Yes, yes, yes. Mara Jade Skywalker: back from the dead”
    - “What happens when ‘till death” is merely a technicality?”
    - “So, does this make you a zombie? Are you suddenly craving brains?”
    - “Mara Jade was never one for resting in peace.”
    - “Because I could not stop for Death, he kindly stopped for me, so I punched him in the face.”

Revanfan1, Tarsier, jcgoble3 and 2 others like this.
  18. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    [face_laugh] I'm sure Emily Dickinson would approve!

Does the fic have to take place in the Legends universe, or would a fic where a Legends character hopped over from their universe to the TFA universe still comply?

Briannakin likes this.
  19. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Nothing is sacred to the History major who hates English.

I know I am usually very 'free-form' with challenges here, but, I think I'm going to be picky and make this actually (somewhat) challenging. So the answer is, it must be set in the Legends universe (because this is all about getting LM back together in Legends and not having people tell us it's AU).

(I also have a TFA challenge in my head for sometime after the Blu-Ray/DVD comes out, so, I want to save the TFA stuff for then).

JadeLotus likes this.
  20. Lazy K

Lazy K Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    I have just been bitten by a pseudo-rabbit whose only discernible feature is that its title is In Sickness and in Health, in Life and in Death.

21. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Jul 19, 2007
    ...this is why my house never gets cleaned....SO. MANY. BUNNIES!!!!!! [face_hypnotized]

I love this challenge. SO. MUCH. Just to clarify, we can use ANY way to bring her back, right? Not limited to the ideas you gave us?

22. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Briannakin

So we have to bring Mara back from the dead? We can't just prevent her death?

23. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_dancing] Echoing Sith-I-5 with a dozen cherries on top? [face_batting] SQUEE! just the hint of a glimmer of something from Irish_Jedi_Jade - I'm too spoilt! [face_love]

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  24. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    I don't squee. I cannot squee. This challenge can however, create a similar emotion with four simple words:

This Is A Rescue. :D

25. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    So, this is weird, but I have a head cold and I had a fever dream involving Luke and Mara. It was a strange take on a famous myth and I was wondering if I should donate it to you guys as a vague plot bunny. Pretty sure there are people in this thread who would ace it. I don't think I can do it justice because of my limited knowledge.