main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Voider, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Of course the fan response was wrong. But I don't fault Daisy for finding a post that as far as anyone could tell was a hatepost and answering it. It wasn't until afterwards that the fan's intentions became known, and Daisy condemned the attacks.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  2. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    Yeah, Daisy posting that person's username was not a good idea. Hopefully she learns from this mistake.

Darth Imbecillis likes this.
  3. turnip white

turnip white Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2014
    Er yes it does. If they are not mature enough to use it, then they should not be using it. This silly, silly post has caused something out of nothing. Getting hate over something innocuous and childish has caused this person a lot of strife. If one thing comes from this I hope whoever posted the picture learns from there mistakes. Body shaming is a serious problem with young women and men. Even if the post as ironic people interpret differently. Hell even I have had **** thrown at me because people misunderstood what I mean.

4. Darth Imbecillis

Darth Imbecillis Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2016

But Daisy did make a mistake in posting the person's ID. I like to think it was an honest mistake, but a mistake it was. If you have 1.4 million followers and you tell them somebody hurt your feelings, if even 1% of them get angry on your behalf, there's going to be a ****storm.

It would be bad enough if the girl were some average teen, but the fact that she looks like a child and has a rather obvious disability makes it many times worse.

turnip white: The girl wasn't engaging in debate or running amok on the internet. She was literally only posting pictures of Star Wars characters that were tagged #starwars and #theforceawakens. Something that millions of other kids do without being called out for it. And apparently her internet use was supervised well enough, as her mother quickly wrote an explanation and apology on her behalf. I really don't think the girl or her parents can be blamed here.

MODified: Gotta **** out the entire word.

Force22 likes this.
  5. N7Jedi

N7Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2016
    Didn't Daisy have a twitter account at some point but deleted it due to stuff like this?

6. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    The Dark Side of Internet Mob Justice......

7. turnip white

turnip white Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2014
    We should be careful because if we carry this on we will in trouble for hijacking the thread. This all happend because of one silly post that was not needed. What was posted was not nice. Plus social networking is not a nice place. Legislation needs to be passed to make parents more accountable for there actions. You might think it extreme in this instance but really kids are been left wide open to abuse. This whole thing is stupid and irrational, you can at least see that? If that post had not been sent it would not have happened. Sure the parent apologized but it was afterwards, you could say hindsight. These things happen. Its a horrid, horrid world. That kid has got a lot grief for it. I mean its not like am disagreeing, its just that we need to do more to protect vulnerable people. This whole situation should never have happened. Daisy has removed the image and the poster, its gone. However, no matter what, body shaming is not something to make ironic judgements about.

I will refrain now because this is not a social media thread. Enough from me, please posters carry on talking about Daisy / Rey in Star Wars.

Peace [face_peace]

8. DARTH MUPPET

DARTH MUPPET Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 16, 2001
    Indeed she did... until the bullies and trolls showed up. It won't surprise me if she gets rid of Instagram in the near future.

9. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    A wise old master once said "Anger, fear, aggression, the dark-side are they. Easily they flow". :yoda:

10. JediAce1

May 8, 2014
    Daisy made a mistake. The girl who posted the picture made an honest mistake.

So let's just drop it and move on.

11. ThreeDeathstickProblem

Sep 25, 2014
    You're faulting Daisy, but not the parents who let their child post a hateful image on a public account with a popular tag?

12. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    I would be surprised if Daisy actually ran her own social media accounts now. From my experience even the B and C-listers have assistants looking after them.

Darth_Bertie likes this.
  13. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
  14. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Which makes sense. I mean, I get her reaction and totally agree with it. But when you become such a well known personality, it might be better to let it go and be done with it.

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  15. JediAce1

May 8, 2014
    She runs her own instagram

16. Force22

Force22 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013

Yeah, the whole episode didn't sit well with me.

I don't think the picture was hateful. Is Daisy ( or Rey) an unrealistic beauty standard? Sure! How many women can work out 4, 6 hours a day? Only athletes, I think. How many girls or women do you know that have a body like hers? I'd say very few, if any. I'm counting girls I've met in my entire life here.

Anyways... people have, for a long time complained about models and the unrealistic standards. I have never seen a model come out and say hey, I'm awesome and I'm a role model and yada yada yada. Cause it's true, it's an unrealistic beauty standard.

So that's the first point, the picture is true, to a certain extent. It's not saying Daisy is ugly, it's not shaming her body, much the opposite.

Now there's the point that it was from a personal account. Really? Daisy Ridley is going to argue with fans? Now women and girls can't voice their opinion anymore? Nevermind that it's a young girl, nevermind that apparently she liked Daisy Ridley and might not even have understood the caption or thought it was ironic or something. And Daisy's slating another girl.

And her post is all about how Rey's awesome, how girls like her, etc. But it's Rey. It could have been another actress.

Anyways, Daisy is young, likely immature, maybe she was on a bad mood or ticked off by something, but perhaps they should receive some guidance on how do to social media. I thought it was really wrong. Daisy is all mighty, receiving messages on how she's wonderful, with articles written on how she stood up to "body shaming", while the girl had to delete her account, and who knows what she's feeling.

And to anyone saying the girl shouldn't have posted the photo, it's just a photo with an opinion, it's not hateful nor necessarily body shaming. In fact, it points to the fact that Hollywood has impossible to reach beauty standards, which, I'm sorry, is a totally valid criticism. I don't mind it, I think it's fantasy, and I think it's fine to see good looking people on screen, but girls have the right to question that.

In short, **** move, Daisy, **** move.

17. Darth Imbecillis

Darth Imbecillis Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2016

This is my last message on this topic as I think I've made my point already, but just in case it wasn't clear, I'm only faulting Daisy or her social media team for the mistake they did make, i.e. failing to delete the user's ID from the screenshot. Answering the picture's message was a fine thing to do, but it was a mistake to bring attention to a random person who wasn't even the creator of the image.

The girl wasn't bodyshaming or making hateful comments. In fact she wasn't saying anything at all - her account was a gallery of Star Wars related pictures with even fewer followers than your average pouting teen. Instagram is full of vile, harassing trolls, but this kid - a disabled kid, at that - was harassing absolutely no one, so it's unfortunate all around that she became the receiving end of an outrage campaign.

I just feel really bad for the kid. You're all SW fans here, so imagine what rotten luck it would be if your idol noticed your online presence (the chances of that happening are pretty much nil in the first place) and then only because you accidentally reposted a picture whose meaning you didn't understand. Not only that, but you were highlighted as a bodyshamer and hater to over a million people, and got harassed to the extent that you had to delete your account. I don't know about you, but when I was a 13-year-old (or however old this girl is), I would have been absolutely heartbroken. Especially heartbroken by being so totally misunderstood by someone I admired.

Which is why I think it would be a lovely thing if Daisy made an honest apology for mistakenly targeting a well-meaning fan, just like the girl made an honest apology for mistakenly reposting the picture. But if not, then not. I'm not in charge of Daisy's social media accounts, but that's what I'd do if I were.

Force22 and JediAce1 like this.
  18. ThreeDeathstickProblem

Sep 25, 2014
    Disagree all you want with the response, but the comment ("I can't believe the unrealistic expectations I'm setting for young girls. Who cast me anyway? Don't they know real women have curves?") criticized her casting because of she's toned and athletic. Not on her talent, not storywise, but based purely on her appearance. That is obviously and absolutely trying to shame her and it also implies Daisy is somehow setting a bad example because she's thin. That's rude, insulting and uncalled for, and Daisy *did* state in her essay that the image was tagged for her to read.

The fan didn't make it and unfortunately got caught up in it. But someone else did write it, and that person deserved a response. The constant impulse to put down women for being either too thin or not thin enough are twin evils.

19. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    She makes it clear she's not out to make an example of anyone. Even with the mistake, I think Daisy did well to focus on the subject raised by the image.

20. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    The image/ message was indeed hateful body-shaming. The statement "doesn't she know real women have curves?" is indeed shaming. It's also misogynistic, as it implies that women who have athletic builds (or who are thin/ tom boyish) are not "real women." Curves and child-rearing hips and all that.

Now, it seems the girl who posted it was very young (and perhaps mentally-handicapped, though that's not confirmed). And sure, Daisy may have made a mistake including the girl's instagram account handle.

But let's not fault Daisy for having a legitimate response to body-shaming.

Not to mention that she acted very responsibly after fans went after the poster, telling them not to do so and apologizing for the mistake.

She's a young actress facing an insane amount of attention, a lot of love, but likely constant and regular hate on social media. Let's cut her some slack, and give her the benefit of the doubt. She's clearly a very decent person who is also trying to stand up for young women who face abuse on a regular basis. I appreciate her spirit. And I am sure she will, over time, learn how volatile a place social media can be. Particularly for people in the public spotlight (and in the fandom spotlight, which can get even uglier).

Jake Lloyd was deeply affected, in a very negative way, by the insane fan hatred that was sent his way after TPM. Let's try to avoid ruining another young actor's life.

Darth_Voider, arjank, Klara and 3 others like this.
  21. Thorin Oakenshield

Thorin Oakenshield Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 9, 2016
    Ok what happened?

22. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Again, not to belabor the point, but I DON'T think that that she's an "unrealistic beauty standard."

23. StarKiller81

StarKiller81 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2014
    I really can't understand why a serious actor would even be on social media unless their career hasn't been going well and they need the publicity. I suppose the attention is too addicting for many though. Especially on that scale.

24. Dagobah Dragonsnake

Dagobah Dragonsnake Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2016
    StarKiller81 I imagine age has something to do with it, and Daisy most like started out like most young people and now its simply grown exponentially for her. Perhaps a bit out of control.
    [​IMG]

25. loststars

loststars Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2016
    An actor/actress would want to be on social media to have a straight connection to their fans. That's why a lot of them who don't otherwise use it very much are on there and that makes sense to me. It's really the only way they can communicate directly with fans.

Force Smuggler and arjank like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.