main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC A Tattoo Appreciation, Discussion, and Sharing Thread <3

Discussion in 'Community' started by Kerr_Plunk, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Kerr_Plunk

Kerr_Plunk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2002
    hi! it's me, Laurie aka Kerr Plunk!

I am a licensed Tattoo Artist apprentice, in the beautiful PNW State of Washington...
    I have been an apprentice since June of 2014.

ITT, please feel free to share your Tattoo stories, questions, photos, ideas, and whatever Tattoo related content you can think of! [face_dancing]

slightly_unhinged and Master_Lok like this.
  2. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    i often tattoo the inside of the toilet bowl when i take a dump. but when i flush, they get washed away. :(

3. Kerr_Plunk

Apr 2, 2002
    so gross and wrong and all that ewwww laden reaction...

but so you, and so happy to hear from you.. and so how've you been/

4. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    i've been running with the night

playing in the shadows

just me and i

til the morning light.

harpua and Kerr_Plunk like this.
  5. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I'm going to have that song stuck in my head all night now.

Kerr_Plunk likes this.
  6. duende

Apr 28, 2006

ssherrill likes this.
  7. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    Per @Kerr_Plunk's request...my latest and favorite of my tattoos :)

[​IMG]

The bee has meaning based on a song and then I had the artist draw the wings as whisks because I'm a baker. He did such an incredible job with it and it turned out better than I had ever imagined.

8. Kerr_Plunk

Apr 2, 2002
    THAT is sooooooooooooo wonderful!!!!!! i love the whisks! genius! excellent art and linework! [face_love]

xblackout likes this.
  9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    My sister has been trying to get me to go get a tattoo with her. I have none right now. I just can't think of a good enough design, along with where I'd put it.

10. Kerr_Plunk

Apr 2, 2002
    pretty important details, for sure.

11. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    What's the best/least painful part of the body to get your first tattoo? The leg?

Kerr_Plunk likes this.
  12. Kerr_Plunk

Apr 2, 2002
    the forearms and legs seem to be the least painful for almost everyone... ankles are often the first-tattoo location.
    the average time for a new/first tattoo is half an hour to an hour... return clients usually get into a couple hours worth...

13. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm considering it. Getting a first tattoo on skin that could easily stretch with age/poor choices is too risky.

14. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Fresh tattoo from of Mother's Day gift from 8 years ago. [​IMG]
    On the inside of my left forearm. I keep saying I want to get a moon oriented one on the opposite arm but haven't gotten around to it.

15. IamZam

IamZam Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 19, 2002
    partial cross post from Bezzies

Newbie would appreciate any advice from veterans. I'm thinking something small to start with, if for no other reasons than I'm new and I have a budget. I know of a few places in town with good reputations. (I'm in Fargo ND).

I'm really leaning toward a phoenix of some kind, as that's always been my mythological spirit animal. I like the phoenix continually rise from the ashes to start over keep on going. I just don't want the same thing that 5 zillion other people have. I want something that is ME.

Kerr_Plunk likes this.
  16. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    I think going small at first is probably a good idea.

I have 8 tattoos, and my first one was by far the biggest and most painful. I sat for four hours and it had a **** ton of shading and stuff. it was terrible and make me think strongly about getting any others lol. so don't scare yourself away at first by going too big.

on the flip side, the other 7 have been pretty decent experiences because i always go in expecting the worst

xblackout and Kerr_Plunk like this.
  17. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    also, find an artist you can really work with, and stick with them. one of my favorite parts about getting tattoos is spending time with the artist, because my two artists are really cool and fun to talk to, etc. plus, you the trust you have with someone you've worked to develop a relationship with is priceless when they're like, altering your body forever etc

IamZam and Kerr_Plunk like this.
  18. Kerr_Plunk

Apr 2, 2002
    IamZam - i fully support your unique vision - here's why... at least 5 times a week, someone comes into the tattoo shop with something they found on pinterest and wants it exactly the way it looks.. just like the other few hundred people who have it exactly the way it looks.. etc..
    there are, o' course, classic tattoo designs that you want to be true to the original - old school tattoos, sailor Jerry stuff, for instance... but when you are trying to express yourself, originality, OOAK design is, in my opinion, so important - it is YOU.

i would suggest, first, figuring out where on your body you want it - then you can custom design for that area... use natural body contours to make the shape flow.. if you can draw, sketch up your design for your artist... or go find an artist who specializes in custom pieces.
    since you have a couple shops to choose from, go to each and get a feel for the environment... ask questions. look at their portfolios.

after you get an idea for where, then you can start to play with design details and styles :)

Master_Lok likes this.
  19. Kerr_Plunk

Apr 2, 2002
    Healer_Leona - that is lovely!!!! i love the design!! i think getting a moon on the other side is a great idea :)

Healer_Leona likes this.
  20. Kerr_Plunk

Apr 2, 2002
    PRENNTACULAR .... <------ yes to e'reything Prenntacular typed!

21. IamZam

IamZam Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 19, 2002
    I have no art skills, but I have an idea in mind, and I've been looking around the web here and there for idea. Right now I am thinking either my ankle, or the front of my shoulder blade.

22. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    I definitely agree with prenn on starting smallish. My first took maybe 3 minutes? But it was on my ribs so when I got my next one a few years later on the other side, I knew the kind of pain to expect (although it was still soooo painful for 2.5 hours in that area and the shading and stuff...woof).

I'm guessing ankle would hurt more than the front shoulder area, but either sound like a great place for what you're thinking of! I really like the shoulder idea, personally.

IamZam likes this.
  23. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    so hey are there any dudes out there that have a "tainttoo"?

24. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014

No, but now I know such a thing exists I want one!

25. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    I update this 4 times a year adding the best bands of all time. \m/ o \m/
    [​IMG]

EHT likes this.