main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT How is Luke the most powerful Jedi?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by NakkyGraphics, Mar 6, 2016.

1. NakkyGraphics

NakkyGraphics Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 12, 2015
    According to many, George Lucas once stated that Luke was supposed to be the most powerful Jedi in history. But how? He got one week of training with Obi Wan during the flight from Tatooine to Alderaan. Then 5 to 7 weeks of training with Yoda. So he fought in a few battles... Jedi start training at around 4-5. Before they can get attached to any family members. And the average becomes a knight in his mid 20s. That's like 20 years of training. If anything, Luke was as strong as Ashoka Tano in ROTJ. How is he the most powerful Jedi ever? (Im talking canon ONLY)

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Do you have a quote from Lucas in which he said that? Not saying it didn't happen, just that I've never heard it.

The short period of Luke's training has been discussed; my cut-to-the-chase answer would be that Lucas had not planned the nature of the PT Jedi's training prior to writing out how long Luke would train, so it was not taken into consideration.

In universe...maybe Yoda stuck to the basics and was able to go more quickly with one student than with many?

3. NakkyGraphics

NakkyGraphics Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 12, 2015

I seen it in many YouTube videos and some stackoverflow posts.

4. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    He was the offspring of the most gifted Jedi of all time so it took less training for him to master the ways of the force since he was already so powerful with it.

5. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    anakin is the greatest jedi. luke may be the most important.

Obi-Wan Catnobi likes this.
  6. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I'm familiar with this quote, which Lucas said. It was more or less a throw away remark and this was years before the Disney takeover.

7. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    How is Luke the most powerful Jedi?

Well he isn't now! Rey is.

Emperor Ferus and DANNASUK like this.
  8. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    He's probably the most powerful because he's the only bloody one left! Lol

9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Luke's levels of skill and power are superhuman, of course, that's one of the perks of being Jedi. He was strong enough to do what had to be done in the throne room, but I think what sets Luke apart as the greatest Jedi is his resolve, his integrity, his loyalty, and his faith. I don't believe many Jedi would have the courage and resolution to throw down their weapons, look Sheev in the eye, and stand up for what is right even in the face of agonizing death.

KOBBRA, Lulu Mars and Kenneth Morgan like this.
  10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Luke is powerful because of his father.

"Anakin, as Skywalker, as a human being, was going to be extremely powerful, but he ended up losing his arms and a leg and became partly a robot. So a lot of his ability to use the Force, a lot of his powers, are curbed at this point, because, as a living form, there’s not that much of him left. So his ability to be twice as good as the Emperor disappeared, and now he’s maybe 20 percent less than the Emperor. So that isn’t what the Emperor had in mind. He wanted this really super guy, but that got derailed by Obi-Wan. So he finds that, with Luke, he can get a more primo version if he can turn Luke to the dark side."

--George Lucas, “Star Wars: The Last Battle,” Vanity Fair, 2005

"At this point, Vader’s plan really, now that he knows he’s his son, is to convince him to come with him. Join the dark side and together they’re going to overthrow the Emperor, which is the thematic devices used through the whole movies in terms of the Sith, which is Sith Lords are usually no more than two because if there are three, then two of them will gang up on one to try to become the dominate Sith. Anakin would have been able to do it if he hadn’t been debilitated and now he’s half machine and half man, so he’s lost a lot of the power of the Force, and he’s lost a lot of his ability to be more powerful then the Emperor. But Luke hasn’t. Luke is Vader’s hope. His motives at this point are purely evil. He simply wants to continue on what he was doing before which is get rid of the Emperor and make himself Emperor. He only sees his son as a mechanism for the ambition. His mad lust of power."

--George Lucas, TESB DVD Commentary.

"And when he finds out Luke is his son, his first impulse is to figure out a way of getting him to join him to kill the Emperor. That's what Siths do! He tries it with anybody he thinks might be more powerful, which is what the Emperor was looking for in the first place: somebody who would be more powerful than he was and could help him rule the universe. But Obi-Wan screwed that up by cutting off his arms and legs and burning him up. From then on, he wasn't as strong as the Emperor -- he was like Darth Maul or Count Dooku. He wasn't what he was supposed to become. But the son could become that."

--George Lucas, Rolling Stones Interview, 2005.

"The Emperor wants Luke to kill Vader so that he will have a new young Jedi. Lets face it Vader is half mechanical and he is not half as good as he could be. He is not nearly as good as he was hoping Anakin would become because Anakin ends up in the suit. He is hoping he gets a new better apprentice in Luke. If he kills his father then he would take his place as an apprentice; which actually there is something that in the next film is how Anakin becomes his apprentice."

--George Lucas, ROTJ DVD Commentary.

So what Lucas is saying is that as the son of the Chosen One, a person who had a strong connection to the Force, his offspring could be as powerful as he was when trained. In ROTJ, Luke is as ready as he can be. He doesn't have the lifetime training that his father and his Masters had, but his connection to the Force is quite strong. By the time of TFA, Luke has had an additional thirty years to develop his skills and gain vast amount of experience. Thus he would be quite strong.

11. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

If you're going by the EU, this video will explain why Luke is the most powerful Jedi in the history of the galaxy. As impressive as that is, I find his faith that certain people, including Vader, could be redeemed, to be his greatest power.

ChefCurryWindu likes this.
  12. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Well, he was kind of the last of the Jedi Order. Everyone else is dead.

13. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015

This fight is a better comparison. ;)

I think Luke would have became the strongest Jedi ever after Rotj because Anakin never reached his potential.

14. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    In terms of how Luke is in ROTJ, yes, that is true.

15. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    Luke was the most powerful Jedi unlike his father Anakin he never once became seduced by the Dark Side of the force. Obi Wan thought him to trust his instincts and he knew when his old master and Master Yoda were deceiving him. That conversation between Master Yoda in which he had him confirm the news that Darth Vader was his father. He also worked with his sister Leia and Lando in rescuing Han now Leia is interesting she too possesses Jedi abilities yet refuses to embrace the force. Luke has become the sole Jedi Knight of the family. What he did not have innate he learnt while in the company of Han, Leia and even Darth Vader. His abilities far exceed that of Emperor Palpatine and in subsequent literature of the Star Wars Saga he even sets up an Academy and teaches what he has learnt to a new generation. Past Jedi's failed to see the rise of Darth Sidious Lord of the Sith and his apprentice. Without seeing any other Jedi's than he is the undisputed and most powerful force user in the Galaxy. Others might be out there in the Galaxy, either they don't know they are Jedi's or they are using the powers in ways that will destroy themselves.

16. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Mostly true. He almost did when threatened with Leia turning

FINALLY FRIGGING CHANGED MY TAPATALK SIGNATURE (and yes this is actually it)

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  17. JDN21

JDN21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    My take:

1. Luke is a Skywalker, so is inherently strong in the Force.
    2. He is trained directly by Yoda, the all-knowing grand master. That's better than being some mediocre Jedi masters padawan.

...so he has all the ingredients to be a very powerful force user...

3. (Most importantly) He is very humble, very committed and very intelligent and stable emotionally. He has humanity. This allows him to see what his enemies are plotting, think about it rationally, empathetically and have the clarity to take the right action when he is under intense pressure. This is main difference between him and Vader. Luke is a well-balanced person, Anakin never was, so Luke can wield the force with more intellect and without his emotions clouding his judgement.

This is why I think Luke is in solitude leading up to TFA...he is learning to harness the light and dark without being consumed by it. If he is able to do that, he is quite rightly to be considered the undisputed most powerful force user ever.

18. texjrwillerjr

texjrwillerjr Jedi Knight

Dec 13, 2015
    he is the only jedi left so one is most:)

19. Barbara Fett

Barbara Fett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 23, 1999
    This guy hit the nail RIGHT on the head. :)

BookExogorth, Sarge and Sith-I-5 like this.
  20. sonnyleesmith

sonnyleesmith Jedi Master star 2

Apr 29, 2014
    I never got the impression that Luke was more powerful than any other Jedi. It's just that he was strong in the force and considered to be the last hope to bring peace and justice back to the Galaxy. Even to Obi-Wan who considered him to be the last dying hope until Yoda reminds him of Leia.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Darth__Lobot and Sarge like this.
  21. Zurros Ka

Zurros Ka Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 26, 2015
    Not as far as we know, we'll have to see how things stand at the end of the ST

22. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Well, she mastered in a few moments, at least two techniques that it took Luke three films, with Yoda's training; so, unless the Yuuzhan Vong pop by and a moon falls on her, I have no problem declaring her the winner now.

23. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Luke and Rey both struggled a bit to lift a Lightsaber from the ground, at first. Then they got it going. Luke never used the mind trick in TESB, since he had no reason to.

24. Zurros Ka

Zurros Ka Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 26, 2015
    The key word his is Jedi, Rey is not a Jedi yet.

It's a matter of debate as to whether she is more powerful than Luke, I doubt she will be in the end, but like i said, it's debatable

25. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    People getting ahead of themselves the only innate abilities he had was he was an ace pilot. The Jedi were extinct so no comparison. All the earlier Jedi Knights were massacred by Sith's in the Jedi purge. Master Yoda had even been disillusioned, never again to show face in Galactic politics. He merely vanished. The Empire presumed he was dead and the populations forgot about him.