main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Best piece from ANH?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Amber Kenobi, Mar 3, 2016.

?

Which is the standout piece for ANH?

1. Binary Sunset

46.3%
  2. The Throne Room

22.0%
  3. Main Title

9.8%
  4. Cantina Band

2.4%
  5. Leia's Theme

4.9%
  6. Other

14.6%
  1. Amber Kenobi

Amber Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 12, 2016
    As a response to the "What is the standout piece for each episode" thread, I decided to make my own thread based on that. So, here goes: Do you prefer the triumphant Main Title? Or the melancholy Throne Room? Do you long for Binary Sunset...until it is fully lodged in your head for 3 weeks? Or do you believe that Cantina Band has virtually nothing to do with the plot? It's all yours.

2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I would say "Binary Sunset" - I know it debuted in ANH of course, but I associate that more with the entire saga in general

Although it appears in now five episodes total, I'm going to say "Leia's Theme" as my pick

In that spirit, gonna do a little mod thing

Adding that and "other" option to poll

3. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I really like the Imperial theme in ANH. It's much more subtle than the Imperial March most of the time, but still very good at conveying the Empire's evil.

I especially like the quieter version that plays in Obi-Wan's hut during the discussion of the dark times.

1:40 in this video.

Obi-Wan Catnobi and Sarge like this.
  4. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I chose Binary Sunset, but I could have just as easily picked the opening crawl theme.

5. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    To me, the choice hinges on the word "standout." What piece on that list stands out more from ANH than the others? For me, the Force theme has always been my favorite of the themes, so it's probably going to be that. Now Binary Sunset is the classic arrangement of that theme, but that same arrangement can be heard in ROTJ, ROTS and TFA. But there IS an arrangement of the Force theme that is on that list and is utterly unique to the saga, and it stands out rather well. The Throne Room. So that's my vote, because it stands out the most as the most unique.

6. Amber Kenobi

Feb 12, 2016
    That's fine, there are always Other Options!

7. zisme

zisme Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2016
    love it all but the winner is the main theme for me. that initial blast as the title comes on the screen is still a rush and often brings goosebumps. definitely made me feel like a kid again at my first viewing of TFA. unlimited power

watching the old trailer for ANH absent of any of William's score really drives home how essential music is to star wars. it may be the most enduring aspect of the saga

8. Amber Kenobi

Feb 12, 2016
    You've probably noticed how most of the best fantasy/sci-fi films rely primarily on the AMAZING score...such as Star Wars.

zisme likes this.
  9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The Battle of Yavin.

10. mei_force

mei_force Jedi Youngling

Mar 5, 2016
    I placed my vote for Binary Sunset, naturally.

Chancellor Yoda likes this.
  11. MoonFyre

MoonFyre Jedi Master star 2

Jan 19, 2016
    Binary Sunset. Whenever I hear it, I immediately think of SW.

12. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Yep have to make the choice of Binery Sunset, as it is my favorite piece of Star Wars music. The scene that goes with it in ANH is also one of my favorite scenes in the saga.

Obi-Wan Catnobi likes this.
  13. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    Throne Room and end credits... I just slightly prefer it over Binary Sunset.

Huttese 101 likes this.
  14. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here and say the Cantina Band. I mean it is not used in any of the other movies, so I think it really sticks out.

15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I can't choose between Sunset and Throne Room. It's tearing me apart! Somebody take this saber out of my hands...

16. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    The main title. I still get goose bumps now when it kicks in and the anticipation of hearing it after the 'a long time ago...' text still builds the tension for the start of the main title. And thats since I first heard it in 1980.

17. Kynirin

Kynirin Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 16, 2015
    There's honestly quite a lot in ANH that could qualify for this, though I'm not absolutely sure how to take the meaning of "standout". Binary Sunset is probably my favourite, I listen to it a lot for the right feeling and mood, and it can be found very subtly here and there. Throne Room is fantastic. Voting for the main theme still, because it's... the main theme. That's the one that brings the rest of Star Wars to us.

18. Huttese 101

Huttese 101 Sam Witwer Enthusiast star 7

Jan 19, 2016
    Other than the Star Wars Theme itself, as far as "standout piece" from ANH goes, I'd say Binary Sunset or Princess Leia's Theme. Since this movie's soundtrack features the original versions of several pieces that recur throughout the rest of the series, it's particularly hard for me to decide or how to interpret "standout."

The Throne Room may be my personal favorite. Honestly, my favorite iteration of the Binary Sunset music on the soundtrack is actually at the beginning of Tales of a Jedi Knight, it's more mysterious, more mystical and gentler. But there are lots of other musical bits that make this soundtrack my favorite and the one that feels the most Star Wars-y to me. I really like most of Imperial Attack, especially from 4:19-4:55, and especially the important motif from 4:49-4:55. I also really like Chasm Crossfire at about 3:23 on, particularly the motif from 4:05 to 4:17.

19. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    It's tough not to pick the Main Title as it is so iconic but my favorite is Binary Sunset. I find myself humming or whistling often without even thinking about it.

20. Amber Kenobi

Feb 12, 2016
    I'm sure most of us here feel the same way :D

Huttese 101 and cubman987 like this.
  21. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    I voted for "The Throne Room". "Binary Sunset" is iconic and conveys a unique emotional cue of wistfulness and longing for adventure. I really love the string arrangement of Force Theme in "Burning Homestead", that got tracked into TFA when the lightsaber goes to Rey (which worked very well in that scene). "The Battle Of Yavin" contains many great cues of the Force Theme, and probably my favorite cue of Luke's Theme (when he turns off the targeting computer). But "The Throne Room" (and "End Title" has to go with it) sounds like .... victory.

22. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    I voted for "Throne Room" even though to me it's equal to "Princess Leia's Theme". Does anyone still have/remember the original soundtrack album from 1977? I only had the tapes then. There was no piece called "Binary Sunset" on it. It was part of another track, I think called "The Princess Appears". I no longer own that record to I can't check. I have a lot of nostalgia for that release, including the names of the tracks, even though some music was missing. "The Little People Work", "The Desert and the Robot Auction", "Mouse Robot and Blasting Off", "The Return Home", "The Walls Converge".... Those were the ones I grew up with, even though the new ones are a great improvement of course. I think "The Last Battle" started with music used in the Death Star, with Ben turning off the tractor beam. I have some good memories of hearing it combined into one piece that way, similar to "The Heroics of Luke and Han" in ESB.

23. Amber Kenobi

Feb 12, 2016
    It's a shame that these great works are lost. As are many other scores from long-lost films...
    *breaks down crying*

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    They are on iTunes.

25. Amber Kenobi

Feb 12, 2016
    WHAT? YAY! Thank you!