main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Classics Droids/Ewoks TV series DVDs?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by jacktherack, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999

Agreed - but at least G's Clone Wars micro-series is on DVD in it's entirety; and, these are great home video releases; I've got both DVD's, and the picture quality/color is superb.

Back in Summer 2012, Lflm. announced that they had plans to remaster Droids/Ewoks & release them for streaming on the official SW website - possibly as early as Fall 2012. However, as well all now know, Disney bought out Lflm. in Fall 2012, and so I'm thinking those plans for the remaster & streaming Droids/Ewoks fell by the wayside....

2. Kez-Iban

Kez-Iban Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    This year is the 30th anniversary of Droids and Ewoks, and it would be a shame if LFL did nothing to mark the anniversary. I would love to see them make all the episodes available to watch on starwars.com this year, but would be amazed to see it actually happen.

Ewok Poet and whostheBossk like this.
  3. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Both shows were ground-breaking. The quality of animation, the quality of stories, no matter how simple; the devotion that went into story boards, character individuality, traits and whatnot - I have never seen that on television. In theatrically released animated features, yes; but most of cartoons for TV tend to be pretty formulaic in that regard. In the case of both Droids and Ewoks, the amount of attention that went into it is incredible.

Also, some concepts they introduced were quite daring - e.g. the age of Mungo's wife-to-be or Morag's onscreen death at the end of what was already a very disturbing episode.

Interviews with voice actors, character profiles, some awesome new merchandise for devoted fans, please. Kinda bittersweet, as Jackie Burroughs died a couple of years ago and she gave one of the best vocal performances I know of in cartoon, but still...as some of them are virtually unknown and one or two had careers that contained everything BUT voice acting, seeing things from their perspective would be extremely interesting.

Trivia from, say, Paul Dini, Bob Carrau et al would be fun as well. Including good scans of all these epic model and expression cels, concept art et cetera would be an extra treat.

I can dream, can I?

AniSkylover likes this.
  4. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I mentioned this print in the general Rebels thread, but one aspect of it is on-topic here, as well:

[​IMG]

Just above the Celebration logo, who do we see?

Why it's Droids favorites Thall Joben, Jord Dusat and Mungo Baobab (who is communicating with Artoo and Threepio via hologram), all astride the White Witch!

How cool is that?!? :D

I know I'm not the only fan clamoring for some of these cooler characters from Droids to get some love from Lucasfilm. I'd love to think this is a hint that they might even be canonized in the near-future.

whostheBossk likes this.
  5. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Would be even cooler if they included Kea Moll.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  6. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    I'd like to see both series on disc, it's hard to believe they're waiting so long. By the way, awesome poster!

7. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    No new news regarding a home video release of Droids/Ewoks, but I just wanted to bump this thread because I think it's extremely strange that this is the 30-year anniversary of both cartoons (they both hit TV in Fall 1985) and there is still no decent, comprehensive home video release. They were great SW cartoons, but are largely ignored these days...

I would really like both series to hit DVD/Blu-ray at some point soon; or, at the least, it would be great if Lflm. would remaster both shows & make them available for official streaming...

Mother_Talzin and seeker_two like this.
  8. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Very much agree. Can we get this remastered please. Before my little one grows up would be nice. So as of now, all seasons of Driods & Ewoks are on VHS only?

Ewok Poet likes this.
  9. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

Not even that. For example, The Three Lessons and Prow Beaten were never even released that way. :(

10. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    Right - very few of the Ewoks & Droids episodes ever hit home video. I'm not really counting the various VHS tapes that came out with some episodes on them back in the day; I haven't had a VCR player or VHS tapes for 20 years, and I'm sure many other people don't have VCR's any more either.

The only DVD releases of the series came out in 2004, and are long out-of-print (OOP) these days; these weren't even regular episodes of the series, but were several episodes of each that were edited & cobbled-together to make one long "movie". The original theme song/music wasn't even included, for crying out loud!:mad:

11. Kez-Iban

Kez-Iban Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    I hate sounding negative, but I have the feeling that LFL/Disney will never put out complete series DVD's, stream them online from starwars.com or put them up on Netflix. There have been so many logical opportunities to do this (25th anniversary, 30th anniversary), but still nothing was done. I would really like to hear their reason as to why we still have no complete series DVD's, but to my knowledge, LFL has never answered this. Some of my guesses as to their reasons are:
    - LFL does not like them any more and feel that they don't fit in with the current feel of Star Wars as it exists today.
    - They would not be profitable enough to make it worth their while.
    - There is a rights issue of some sort that is holding things up.
    - They were not made by the Disney animation studios and they don't want to bring attention to another company (Nelvana's) product.
    - The current management of LFL is focused on the present and future of the Star Wars franchise and with the exception of the movies has chosen to leave the past in the past.

12. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    This is the one reason that I think may be the issue:
    - There is a rights issue of some sort that is holding things up.

What's interesting is that Taj Mahal's official site does not list the Ewoks theme in any way and it lists every single obscure little thing he's ever done.

whostheBossk likes this.