main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indy 5 Indiana Jones & The Dial of Destiny All Aboard the Hype Train to June 2023!

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by choccy, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I admire the pun lol but that'll probably be it, given the shortest was Raiders at 115 minutes and the longest was Crusade at 127 minutes

2. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I am really stoked about Indy 5 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    I wouldn't mind if Mutt was recast, even though I really didn't have a problem with him and don't see the big deal. If they choose to write him out though, I think that they could do a similar thing as Ant-Man where the old hero passes the torch to a younger upstart.

4. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Shia seems to have a habit of not getting along with his co-stars. He supposedly challenged Tom Hardy to a fight on the set of Lawless (which if true was extremely foolish of him) and Hardy punched him out. And supposedly he and Brad Pitt had issues on the set of Fury as well.

5. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Great news about Indy 5 - I liked KOTCS, and felt it was even better than TLC.

Also, this will be nice because it will mean more IJ merchandise. There's still a lot of figures/vehicles I want to see from ROTLA & TOD.

Harrison Ford willl be 77 in 2019. He was great as Han in TFA, but IJ is a much more physical role & I can't see him running around & doing what he did in the previous films - at his age. So, it will be interesting to see what type of storyline they come up with.

I wonder if this will be a situation where much of the film is a flash-back to a younger Indy's adventure(s)?! If this is the case, they need to do a good job with the casting here for the other Indy - that will be critical. I was a big fan of the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles TV series back in the '90's & felt that Sean Patrick Flanery played a great late teen-20-ish Indy. However, he's now 50 and may be too old to play this role again - depending on what time period this potential flash-back takes place, of course.

6. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014

didn't Shia recently make a movie with Brad Pit "Fury" or something like that? so he Is still Acting, He basically threw Spielberg and Lucas under the bus by ripping KOTCS but Harrison talked to him about it may be all parties are cool with each other now? I am also fine with Shia and Liked Mutt!!!!!!!

I recently bought all the Indiana Jones movies on Blu-ray I will have a Marathon one of these days !!!!!!!!!!

Seagoat likes this.
  7. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    The Paramount thing just occurred to me. It was weird enough not having the 20th Century Fox fanfare preceding The Force Awakens, but it's going to be even weirder not having the Paramount logo transition into the first image of the movie like it has previously.

Also, I was thinking about accommodating Ford's age. Like others have stated, although he's in great shape and he did a great job in The Force Awakens, this is a more physically demanding role for him. I mean, even with a stunt man there's only so much we can believe the character doing physically. I think an elegant solution would be to truly embrace the period setting (I'm presuming this is set in the 1960s; it has to be, right?) and to really bring the film full circle with Steven Spielberg wanting to do a James Bond film before Lucas told him he had something better, and do a spy film. Have government supplied gadgets and sneaking around. Have secret societies pulling the strings of the world. Have the Iron Curtain and the period actually mean something here.

Those threads were introduced towards the beginning of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, and then dropped entirely. The first part of the movie, when they're in America, is setting up a full-blown 1950s sci-fi movie with alien visitors and the undercurrent of paranoia, distrust of the government, distrust of our own, Soviet spies assimilating into American society, the whole nine yards. From what I understand, that is what the film was originally supposed to be when Lucas first pitched it to Spielberg in the early 90s. That kind of movie in every way, but one that just so happened to star Indiana Jones, as opposed to it being more in line with the previous three. Spielberg didn't want to do it because he had done two alien films, and after Independence Day he basically told Lucas it wasn't happening. From there, it basically just became another adventure utilizing the same formula as Raiders and Last Crusade, but those original elements were still present, even if they led to nothing. Those parts were also, in my opinion, the absolute best parts of the movie. Raiders of the Lost Ark and Last Crusade are great, and I love the hell out of them, but Kingdom of the Crystal Skull lost all sense of its own identity when it stopped doing its own thing for the sake of being more like its predecessors.

This film needs to avoid that trap. It needs to be its own thing and not rely so heavily on the formula of Raiders. Embrace the period, and genre the film accordingly. Harrison Ford is no longer at the age where him doing the stunts of his youth feels "right" to watch, and the 60s are a very different period from the 30s. The fedora-hatted bare knuckled adventurer fighting Nazis and caricatures of then-current ideas of foreigners, dealing with Eastern mysticism and Judeo-Christian mythology, doesn't transfer organically from one decade to the next. The types of adventures Indy had in the first three films were very much of the time the films were set, and harkening to the pulp fiction and film serials of the era. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull started off respecting its own period and that period's conventions, and then went lost its footing when it started acting like Raiders of the Lost Ark or Temple of Doom or Last Crusade. This film needs to be a 60s adventure to work. It needs to embrace the conventions and culture of the period, and the sorts of genre work that were prevalent in that period. Instead of forcing what we understand Indiana Jones to be into an anachronistic period, put the character himself in a totally new period and structure the story and allow him to act in it accordingly.

EDIT: I used the word "period" an insane amount in this post.

8. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013

Aye, I agree. Very much hoping that Lucas has some sort of role, even if he's not directly writing. Something a bit more substantial than his "creative consultant" role in TFA. With Spielberg returning, I definitely see them at least directly consulting, even if it isn't in an official capacity.

I am very excited for this. Cautious, sure, but very excited. I guess I'm outnumbered in that I both liked KotCS and Shia in the film. Though I will say, the posts I've been reading about Mutt dying in Vietnam actually make a lot of sense and could do a lot to help define Indy's character in this one. I would definitely be OK if they went that route.

9. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    This is great news and I'm really looking forward to it. Having seen him in TFA I have no worries about Harrison coming back in to the role. But more importantly Harrison showed he still has the fire in him for a role like that. Sure it will be interesting to see how they go with Indy 5 in terms of the characters physicality and if they do work around his age at that time.

On the issue of Mutt, I see no reason to include him at all. One of the traps that Hollywood falls in to as franchises go on is to start including children of the heroes. I hope they don't try to write a story around Indy and his son, it didn't work at all in KOTCS. They should feel no obligation to include the baggage that dragged KOTCS down - Marion and Mutt. Plus I feel its better when there aren't so many heroes on the same quest, when you look at KOTCS I felt it was cluttered with so many people tagging along with Indy.

I would like to see them go back to basics of Indy on a quest with a new sidekick, and I think Disney will look at what made the originals so good and go with that formula over what we saw in KOTCS.

There have been lots of comments about the involvement of Lucas and others like John Williams too. Isn't it funny how everyone on forums think they would make better script writers, directors, composers and cinematographers. Personally as long as the story is good I don't care who writes it.

I still don't believe this will be the last we see of Indy, as that press release says the character is iconic and I think in the future he will be recast, reimagined or rebooted or whatever the term is these days.

HanSolo29 likes this.
  10. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    So when do you guys think this next one will be set?

I'm saying mid sixties (Ford is too old for them to convincingly go back to pre KOTCS)

11. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Given the fact that KotCS took place 19 years after TLC, I'm going to assume they're going to do the same and place Indy 5 approximately 11 years after KotCS. So probably somewhere around '68 if they stick to that spacing? If they wanted to riff on Vietnam that'd be a perfect timeframe to do so, with America's involvement.

12. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Wow. If it's 68, we'd now at the point where, if he really wanted to, Indy could turn on the TV and watch Star Trek or the Adam West Batman. And yet, the distance between 1968 and 2019 is greater than that between 1936 and 1981. I don't know why this fascinates me so much.

13. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I think for It to work They should do it like TFA nostalgia, bring back Nazis may be Nazis In South America!!!!!!! the Nazi scene could be the opening scene then they could transition to another world threat or something of a cult like Tempe Of Doom ...

14. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    I actually wouldn't be averse to a "Nazi hideaways in South America" thing, but I feel for that to work you'd actually need the 60s spy/espionage genre conventions and trappings.

15. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I would disagree strongly that Marion dragged KOTCS down, she was one of the best parts. And I definitely want to see her again.

HanSolo29 likes this.
  16. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Hidden Nazi-scientists in Bolivia who tried to revive Hitler and the Nazi-leadership through the use of the philosopher's stone was actually the planned story for the sequel to "Fate of Atlantis", which was called "Indiana Jones and the Iron Phoenix". The game eventually got canceled due to likely legal-issues in Germany. Here, games never were considered art in the same way books or movies were, which meant that the use of Nazis - especially a story about reviving the leaders - fell under the illegal use of Nazi-material and thus probably would have been banned. With Germany being the most important overseas market for such a game, that pretty much stopped development dead in its tracks. Nowadays you probably could get away with it, even in a game, but this were the mid 90s. Additionally, there were internal troubles in development, which didn't help things either.

Afterwards they started development of a new adventure-game, focusing on the Spear of Destiny, but that got canceled pretty quickly as well.

17. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I thought she was unnecessary and the interplay between her and Indy seemed more like comic relief to me. I don't think her character came out of it well, thats not Karen Allens fault. So I hope they don't try to shoehorn in old characters for the sake of it come Indy 5.

18. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    Wow! Another Indy with Spielberg & Ford!? I'm in!

CaptainRegor likes this.
  19. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    I don't know if Marion dragged down KotCS, but I'm not entirely sure why she was there. I mean, I know why; she was in Raiders and that movie came out a long time ago and people liked it, right? And like, she's great in that film. Her relationship with Indy in Raiders is an absolutely essential reason as to why the film works, and oh my god does it work, it's basically a perfect film. But she didn't serve an actual purpose in Crystal Skull outside of being the mother of Indiana's son; I thought it was a somewhat insulting way to handle a character that was extremely strong willed in her initial appearance. Did she have to be rescued from time to time? Sure, when she was understandably out of her depth, but as a character she was on Indiana's level. And then Crystal Skull basically neutered her, and utilized her as a winking cameo that ended up lasting half the movie. That's the kind of thing they need to avoid.

Also, I share Drew Mcweeny articles a lot (what can I say, I've been reading the guy for ten years), but here's an excerpt from his write up on the announcement that I find hugely reassuring. The link to the full article is beneath it, in case anyone is interested.

"[...] it was clear from conversations I had with people working for Lucasfilm that Steven Spielberg had been very clear about Indy in his conversations with them, and that he wanted to make one more film with Ford before they considered any other options. I think people forget just how personally Spielberg takes audience reactions. There's no way he walks away from Indiana Jones with people remembering Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull as the last movie. Nope. It matters to him. He will turn on his own movie if the public rejects it, and he does care about what people remember about the series.

http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captur...new-indiana-jones-in-2019#DMCj01qKvJw6kP7B.99

Just to recap, Spielberg didn't want to do KotCS. He said he had wanted to move on, and let the ride off into the sunset be the character's final ride. Even on the BTS making-of features, he really looks like he's only doing it to appease Lucas' nearly two decade long desire to do an Indiana Jones movie with aliens. But now I think Spielberg might feel he's in a position where he has something to prove. It sounds like he wants to make this movie, so he can go out on a high note. I mean, this is Steven Spielberg we're talking about. The guy's a national treasure and one of our greatest living and most successfully versatile filmmakers. No one sets out to make a bad movie, but if he's really dead-set on making this movie one to be proud of, I see no reason not to trust the guy.

DavidSword79 likes this.
  20. D-Ludicrous

D-Ludicrous Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2006

It's 1981 and we see Indy driving on a city street and he passes a movie theater and on the marquee it says. "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

The Circle of Life!!!!!!!

21. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    Always one of his biggest weakness, in my opinion: a near pathological "crowd-pleaser" often at the expense of his own artistic integrity.
    I honestly never read into it that way, let alone bought as much. I think people have a tendency to project onto these kinds of things as a means to verify, if not justify, whatever disappointments they had with the film. I watched that making-of featurette a number of times and, to me, it just seems like Spielberg was being candid about the overall silliness that goes into making an Indiana Jones movie in general. He said similar things during Last Crusade about not wanting to do the Holy Grail for being too recently associated with Monty Python. Yet from that very story point there is nonetheless some genuine sincerity and inspiration that comes off the screen whenever I watch the movie itself; the movie itself always deserving its own judgment above all else. And I got the same sense from all the Area 51/alien stuff in the following installment due to both its pulpy 'boy's fantasy' presentation and thematic wit.

Ezon Pin, L110 and bstnsx704 like this.
  22. DavidSword79

DavidSword79 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2015
  23. Wrenegade

Wrenegade Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2015
    Wait, what? I mean, I'm excited but this kinda caught me off guard. I was genuinely expecting them to wait for the Sequel Trilogy to be over for them to even begin pre production on an Indiana Jones film.

I wonder where they'll take the story from where the last film left off? Probably something a little less action oriented, given Ford's age. And in terms of Mutt, I agree that it would be interesting to have him be killed in the Vietnam War.

But yeah, I'm sure it'll be good. I didn't really have as much of an issue with KOTCS as others did.

Maybe they'll do a transition from the Disney castle. I know they didn't have it on TFA, but the logo transition just seems like too big of a tradition to just throw away.

CaptainRegor and PymParticles like this.
  24. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    I'll be honest ...The Monkey King always sounded pretty rad to me. I've read a lot about that treatment. The pygmy story setup and sidekick characters are intriguing and the suggested end set-pieces involve magic peaches and a life-size game of chess to the death is right up my ally of pulp eccentricity.

DavidSword79 likes this.
  25. DavidSword79

DavidSword79 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2015
    Yeah, admittedly that does sound pretty fun. While at the same time, embarrassingly dumb. :p