main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indy 5 Indiana Jones & The Dial of Destiny All Aboard the Hype Train to June 2023!

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by choccy, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Re: Indy 5, I don't think Matt or Marion ruined KOTCS at all - I felt it was a solid film. I actually found them much less intrusive than Sean Connery as Indy's father in TLC; his presence & behavior (i.e., talking down to Indy) basically relegated IJ to a little kid, which was very distracting & seriously took away from my enjoyment of the film.

I wonder if Indy will die in Indy 5?! Possible, I guess.

It's worth noting that the underrated & well-done TV series The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles (from the 1990's) featured "book ends" with an elderly IJ in his '90's. At one time, I thought those were canon. However, in typical Lucas fashion, he retroactively changed these shows by completely removing these Old Indy book ends from the YIJC DVD sets that were released in the late 200X's. So, it's unclear if Indy is supposed to live into his '90's or not....

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I would really like Indy to not die. He's not the same character as Han and it's not the same series.

Mutt is definitely not awful, but no way Shia is going to come back at all, let alone as the lead in a string of these movies. I also don't think Mutt could carry the film; he's not the same type of character as Indy. Any movies going forward are, I think, going to involve a recast and set in the past. "Mutt Williams and the..." is not going to happen. "New Character and the..." is not going to happen. Disney has no desire to put out these films unless they're called "Indiana Jones and the..." They bought the Indiana Jones series, and Indiana Jones films are what they're going to make.

If it hadn't been for the fact that Spoelberg apparently wants to go out on a high note and not have KotCS be his last film in the series, we'd already see the recast happen. Evidently he asked Lucasfilm to do this before they proceeded forward in any other fashion, but after he's done they're moving forward.

3. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014

I liked all 4 films so far to varying degrees !!!!!!! It's hard to pick a favorite, it is like a parent trying to pick there favorite kid.

4. DavidSword79

DavidSword79 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2015
    Ford called Shia a "&*^%ing idiot" in the press after the young actor badmouthed Spielberg, Ford and the film. It's highly unlikely he'll be returning to the franchise.

5. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    LucasFilm released an exclusive sneak peak:

[​IMG]

6. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    Though I don't think Shia as Mutt ruined KOTCS, I would also rather not see him in another IJ film. I don't think he's that great of an actor, and I do sometimes find his cockiness irritating. IMHO he doesn't bring that much to the movies he's in. For example, I thought the first Transformers was excellent - but my feelings about the film had nothing to do with Shia - that film was amazing because of the robots/effects, and any young actor would have been equally good in Shia's role.

The only movie I thought he did a decent acting job in was Disturbia, and my main reason for liking that film was because it was an homage to one of my favorite Hitchcock films, Rear Window.

7. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I really want someone to edit a rathtar in there. It even had the same rolling boulder sound.

Dinos4Ever likes this.
  8. Vemrin

Vemrin Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 24, 2015
    Maybe the years of bs don't have to g to waste

Cast Pratt Cooper or whoever AS adult mutt

The torch passing on skull can be preserved and Ford can have a much worthier successor without anyone saying the R word

Is this happens Indy CAN die in this film but he doesn't HAVE to

9. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I honestly didn't mind Mutt in KOTCS. I feel like a lot of people are letting their distaste for Shia offscreen bleed onto the character. Because he's far less annoying to me than some other "sidekicks" that we've seen in these films.

But then again, I'm one of the like 5 people on Earth who prefer KOTCS over TOD (I just don't much care for that movie at all).

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    My family makes that 6 lol. No offense to anyone who likes it but I thought Tempe of Doom was terrible.

11. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    I wonder if they will do what they did timeline wise with KOTCS taking place exactly nineteen years after the Last Crusade. TLC took place in 1938 and KOTCS took place in 1957 so i wonder if Indy 5 will take place in 1968 (11 years after Indy 4)

CaptainRegor likes this.
  12. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    At the very least, it'll be somewhere in the 60's. I'm sure of that. Remember, TOD was released after ROTLA, but takes place before it in the film's timeline.

CaptainRegor likes this.
  13. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    Right. IIRC, ROTLA took place in 1936, and TOD took place in 1935 - even though TOD was released three years after ROTLA.

Hopefully with Indy 5 they'll try to stay close to Harrison's age for the IJ character (as in KOTCS). I.e., IJ was born in 1899. Harrison Ford will be 77 in 2019. So, the IJ character would be 77 in 1976. So, to try to stay even somewhat close to HF's age the film has to take place in either the late 1960's (which is stretching it) - or sometime in the early - mid 1970's.

14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm the second of those five. :p I have the Blu-Ray set of all four films but rarely watch ToD. I also find it funny that in the Lego game, the way to get through glass is to have Willie scream and break it.

My only comment on Mutt is that I wish he had been Marion's son with her English husband. Making him Henry Jones III was a bit much IMO, although I understand that they were trying to establish a connection.

15. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    havn't read everyone's comment's but wondering with years going by if Indy will run into hippies this time [face_thinking]

CaptainRegor likes this.
  16. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    Yes, he may run into hippies if any of the film takes place in the U.S. or Europe (and maybe Australia) from the late 1960's - mid 1970's. If the film only takes place in countries other than the U.S. or Europe - maybe not so much.

17. Fruit Pastilles

Fruit Pastilles Jedi Master star 3

Dec 21, 2014
    Mixed feelings. Super hyped just on the fact that it's more Indiana Jones, but I'm not sure how they're going to do it with grandpa Indy and a past-his-prime Spielberg.

What are the action sequences going to be like? Indy tries to escape the nursing home? Indy gets his false teeth knocked out by an angry Commie?

What are they gonna call it? Indiana Jones and the Comfortable Chair? Indiana Jones and the Temple of Dementia?

In all seriousness, I just can't see old man Ford pulling off the action stunts he did in Kingdom, and they were already pushing it in 2008. But since they're dead-set on bringing Ford back, I wouldn't mind the idea of presenting parallel dramas, one focusing on the last adventure of Indiana Jones in 1968, and one being a prequel focusing on the journey of a young recasted Indy becoming the man we see in Raiders of the Lost Ark. The stories could even connect to each other, the latter having an effect that ripples on into the former's story.

As for the new actor, maybe they could use the same guy they use in the young Han Solo film, IDK, I just want to see more Indy adventures after this. It would take more of the load off of Harrison, who don't get me wrong, I love in the role, and would allow for an easy transition into the next actor, whoever that may be. I don't think Disney hates money enough to end the franchise here, I think they'll want to make Indy movies for years, maybe even decades, to come, and, whether you like it or not, that would involve recasting the character.

I'd like if they could get Larry Kasdan to write the screenplay, I'm surprised he never got to write another Indy film after Raiders and with his return to the Star Wars universe, maybe they could get back him back for one more Indy. I loved The Force Awakens, to me, it proved that he could still write a damn fine script.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Probably getting too ahead of myself here, but whatever, I'm excited to hear more news. Just three more years to go... :oops:

18. Fruit Pastilles

Dec 21, 2014
    Also, no more Mutt. He was fine for one film (and that's being very optimistic), but nowhere near charismatic or interesting enough to spawn a whole franchise off of. Keep it Henry Jones, Jr. and recast/reboot as much as you please in doing so.

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Fruit Pastilles :

mranakinfan 's reaction was "Indiana Jones 5? Archaeological expeditions in a nursing home?"

Fruit Pastilles likes this.
  20. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014

how was grandpa Han In TFA? IMHO Harrison was great In TFA and he will be great In Indy 5 !!!!!!

21. Fruit Pastilles

Dec 21, 2014
    Han Solo is not Indiana Jones.

They are not even remotely alike apart from the fact they're played by the same actor.

22. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014

Indy Is a dream when Han was trapped in Carbonite :p

23. Vemrin

Oct 24, 2015
    Absolutely no reboots

I3rd bad enough that Ghostbusters is being rebooted

What an insult to a sacred franchise

Ramza Edit: Contemplate the necessity of your hyperbole while you take a vacation.

Don't let Indy succumb to that horror

We Must preserve our sacred icons[/b]

24. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Uhhh

That's a bit harsh, don't you think?

FINALLY FRIGGING CHANGED MY TAPATALK SIGNATURE (and yes this is actually it)

PymParticles and Darkslayer like this.
  25. Vemrin

Oct 24, 2015
    They are REBOOTING GHOSTBUSTERS

A CHILDHOOD LANDMARK IS ABOUT TO BE DESTROYED