main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indy 5 Indiana Jones & The Dial of Destiny All Aboard the Hype Train to June 2023!

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by choccy, Mar 15, 2016.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    ToD was the film that got the PG-13 rating going. It was groundbreaking in that way.

Deliveranze likes this.
  2. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    [​IMG]

:eek:

DaddlerTheDalek and Dinos4Ever like this.
  3. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Am I the only one who likes Mutt? Not saying I NEED him but I thought Shia did fine.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Ingram_I : I would hope that an Indy daughter would be dressed normally for someone going on an excavation. I would be disappointed if she were treated primarily as eye candy.

Deliveranze : I had no problem with him.

Deliveranze likes this.
  5. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    anakinfansince1983 Agree. I find it strange people say he ruined the film. [face_dunno]I mean, he didn't seem any different or out of place from the other characters in the Indiana Jones universe. Plus, Shia's acting was alright. Maybe something to do with his major success with the 2007 Transformers film (which is a fun movie imo) and his legal troubles gave him a negative stigma?

darskpine10 likes this.
  6. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Mutt as a character was great. Shia as a person, less so.

Deliveranze likes this.
  7. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Nope. I like him

As for the artifact.... perhaps something of Celtic/Saxon origin? Maybe I'm just a bit biased to my own ancestry, but looking for something like the Silver Branch. That would be cool!

I'm not sure they'll do another biblical object. The Ark and Grail have already done that. The Sankara Stones were.... frig, what belief was that? Hindu? And I forget where the Crystal Skull belief comes from

Deliveranze likes this.
  8. Fruit Pastilles

Fruit Pastilles Jedi Master star 3

Dec 21, 2014
    Temple of Doom did something that the rest didn't, it strayed far from the formula. It may not be as fun as Raiders or Crusade, but I can appreciate it. Hell, it created the PG-13 rating, it was influential at least.

Leoluca Randisi and HanSolo29 like this.
  9. Fruit Pastilles

Fruit Pastilles Jedi Master star 3

Dec 21, 2014
    Let me guess, 1/32nd Irish on your father's side? ;)

Don't be offended, us Irish just tend to hear a lot about other people's "Irish heritage".

AndyLGR likes this.
  10. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Variety reported that Indy 5 would get made...in 1979.

[​IMG]

From The Complete Making of Indiana Jones by J.W. Rinzler.

11. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    So not only is the promise of the long talked about Star Wars sequel trilogy being fulfilled, but we're getting the full five Spielberg-directed Indiana Jones movies that were once promised.

By the time Episode IX comes out, it would have taken 42 years since the release of the original film. By the time Indy 5 comes out, 38. It took them a while, but they did it.

12. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    Let's not forget he could go to the movie theaters to watch an actor, that has a strong resemblance to his father when he was younger, be a bad@$$ super spy, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  13. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    And ten years after that, he can go see a certain sci-fi fantasy adventure film featuring an actor that looks remarkably like he did as a younger man playing a character with a similar enough personality.

As flat out awful as it would be, what I wouldn't give to have this series end with Indy sitting in a theater, watching Star Wars and making some sort of snide comment about Ford's acting abilities, or Han's dialogue.

Han: It's the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs.

Indiana (rolls eyes): Oh, Christ.

14. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    No, 1/2 English on my mom's side, 1/4 Irish and 1/4 German on my dad's side

15. Ingram_I

Sep 7, 2012
    Still no further word confirming Lucas' involvement one way or another, huh? Some sources claim no, others (cited here) say yes. Granted, it's somewhere close to two years before they go into preproduction, which leaves a good amount of time for brainstorming. And I highly doubt the story will rest entirely on Koepp's shoulders. I wonder if Spielberg already had an idea in mind, or maybe he's pulling something off the shelf, so to speak, that he and Lucas cooked up years ago for one of the prior installments. Haunted castle, perhaps?

This just now rang to inside my brain: consider they mix archeology with some cryptozoology, involving Indy with Sasquatch (stateside setting), Yeti (Himalayan region) or the Loch Ness Monster (Scotland, obviously). The infamous Patterson-Gimlin 'Bigfoot' film, for example, happened in 1967, which revived a whole new Bigfoot craze in the following years. So that would at least be timely. I dunno. Just throwin' darts here.

bstnsx704 and Saga Explorer like this.
  16. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I thought that he was pretty good as well. Then again, I've always found that Shia is a pretty decent actor overall (well aside from Transformers, but those movies make even experienced/decorated actors look bad). I feel like people's personal dislike for Shia sometimes bleeds over onto his acting, which isn't really fair imo.

bstnsx704, Darthman92 and Deliveranze like this.
  17. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    I've thought of the scrapped haunted castle idea a lot recently, and I think if done well, it could be a pretty good choice for setting this new movie.

18. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Never heard of that but guess it involves magic.
    *shudders*

I'm up for it but a lot of people didn't like the Aliens in KOTCS.

19. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    And the first three films DIDN'T have that? Since when?

20. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    So an idea that involves superstition and magic, like the three largely beloved films featured, wouldn't go over well because the film people didn't like involved science fiction aliens? I'm not sure that logically follows.

I'd actually like the haunted castle idea. It could go back to the "funhouse of death" conceit you get from Temple of Doom, as well as that films claustrophobic primary location and likely unnatural lighting. The castle grounds would allow for some exterior shots, and you'd likely get some similar shots of a surrounding peasant village. Since this is in the 60s, you could maybe show the contrast between a European area that maybe hasn't been keeping pace with the rest of the rapidly developing world. You could even make the assertion that Indy, a teacher, a man of "logic and rationality", maybe feels and has actually always felt more at home in this world than the one he's been stuck in in America, what with the hippies and drugs and free love and shaggy haircuts.

Such a shoot would also accommodate Ford's age, and the basic concept would deviate from the Raiders formula we saw at play in Last Crusade and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, which I really think they should deviate from. Even if it fails, at least it'll be an interesting failure that doesn't feel like it was merely playing to the formula of three of the previous four films. I mean, especially since Temple of Doom has had a major surge in popularity and appreciation since its 30th anniversary a couple of years ago, I could see people being more receptive to it than, oh, back in 2008.

GunganSlayer likes this.
  21. Ingram_I

Sep 7, 2012
    Maybe Indy will cross paths with D.B. Cooper—or be revealed as the latter's true identity! That'd be kinda neat.

Catch Indy If You Can

22. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014

that's what America is all about, my great grandfather was born and raised in Corleone Sicily, my grandmothers side is from Naples Italy, and my moms mom came over from Germany after WW-2 and my moms dad is part German and Irish they all came to America for a better life and the American Dream !!!!!!!!

23. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Make 5 a prequel to KOTCS by a couple of years and that immediately gets around any potential issues with feeling like they have to include Mutt and Marion.

24. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    It would be a bit hard to make Harrison Ford look something like 15 years younger than he actually is, now wouldn't it?
    You cannot should a prequel that is supposed to play a few years prior to the last one, when the actor is more than ten years older now.

It's not like there is any reason to turn it into a prequel. You can do a sequel without having Marion or Mutt appear, if you think that is absolutely necessary. After all, the fourth one was a sequel to the third, and it didn't have Connery in it, apart from a small picture. There are plenty of ways to explain why a certain character doesn't appear.

25. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I said so much earlier about Mutt and Marion but some still think they should be in 5, personally I don't think so. So I was just exploring other options so they don't have to explain their non appearance in 5.

If Harrison doesn't look too much different than he did in KOTCS then setting it a year or two prior to that film isn't an issue I feel.