main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Ask The Forum's DC Expert!

Discussion in 'Community' started by JoinTheSchwarz , Mar 21, 2016.

1. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    The Question, the conspiracy theorist we need or the one we deserve? :p

Seriously though, will The Question make it into the background for a JL movie or is he such a minor character that he won't make it into the films? I know he was in the DCAU's Justice League Unlimited.

AmySolo likes this.
  2. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Gal Gadot is Israeli. And I learned from that Jimmy Kimmel clip that her last name is pronounced gah-dut, with an emphasis on dut, not gah doe, with the emphasis on doe. But her family name used to be Greenstein.

When I think of her as Gal Greenstein, she seems even more attractive. Why do you think that is?

3. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    You may, if you must, but please consider that you're talking to an adult

Kerr_Plunk likes this.
  4. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    we only have 8 comic book related thread titles in the first 2 pages at the moment. I may have to up more so that we can get a good census count.

5. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    That's a very common question, Ramses. Detective Chimp, even though he ironically first appeared in the pages of Rex's comics. When you are talking about Golden or Silver Age comics, simians always win.
    That's a very common question, tom.

See, in the Golden Age, The Flash got his powers from inhaling heavy water vapors. I know, I know, but hey: a radioactive spider bite is not much better. Science happens, powers occur! The next iteration of The Flash simply got his powers from some random chemicals he spilled oh himself; a step down from the heavy water vapors, in my opinion. Decades later some writer decided there was a "Speed Force", an energy field that gave speedsters their powers and acted as a barrier, because apparently relativity wasn't enough of a reason. Yeah, it surrounds us, binds us, makes us fast. "Use the Speed Force, Flash". Superhero comics are so original! I've always loved the Speed Force for being so ludicrous and thus so purely DC. It's the kind of crap that makes adults throw their hands into the air and say "screw it, I'm reading some Spinoza", right? That's why Warner Bros have a Spinoza Saga movie trilogy in the works! I think that Grant Morrison recently updated the Speed Force concept when he drew a map of the DC Multiverse, but I haven't had drugs in one decade so I'm sure I wouldn't understand it.

I hope it helps!
    That's a common question, Jazz. They would have gotten him a bat costume and he would have eventually become the Batman all the same, as decades of alternate universe stories have taught us. Don't mess with the brand.
    That's a common question but, after the unmitigated disaster of the Atlas Shrugged movies? No way.
    That's a common statement, Watto, yet you post in a Star Wars message board. So my suggestion still stands. It's bat**** insane and unapologetic, surreal stuff. You'll like it.

6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I know that this is a bit of a humor thing on your part, Schwartz, but I can't resist.

Extension cords don't go that far. As to the smaller battery, it is easier to carry around than a large battery that is directly attached to Oa and drawing power from the planet's core.

Because up until a while ago, the GLC weren't permitted to kill. So they had to create non lethal constructs. That and the comics were meant for kids at one time.

The construct needs to be thought of to appear and then depending on the complexity of the construct, is how much concentration is needed. A fly swatter or a battering ram doesn't need as much attention as a giant fan, or a giant race track. The ring can create constructs from daydreaming, but it usually depends on the situation.

Hal Jordan and Kyle Rayner cared because they had a private life that they wished to keep private. Kyle especially as his girlfriend Alex DeWitt was killed by Major Force and stuffed into a fridge. Kyle also had a mother to protect. Hal has his mother and his siblings and their children to protect. Guy Gardner and John Stewart chose to abandon their masks after being activated by the Guardians. They were willing to take the risk and had loved ones who could take care of themselves (Ice who is a Metahuman and Katma Tui who was a GL as well.)

The subject of other sectors did come up from time to time, with each of the four main Earth GL's spending time off world as well. As to why so many, Guy Gardner was chosen as Hal Jordan's successor if something happened to him. But then Guy was hospitalized and in a coma, so John Stewart was chosen as his number two. Hal then quit the Corps for a while, leading to John being activated. During the first Crisis, Guy was woken up to assist in the conflict. John was later sent to the Mosiac to oversee its protection, while Hal went back to Oa to train new recruits. Then he came back and he and Guy had to fight for control. Hal won and as part of an agreement that they settled on, the loser would quit the Corps. Guy then took up Sinestro's old ring and used it as a lone wolf. After Hal went rogue and destroyed the Central Battery, all the GL's lost their power. But a lone Guardian named Ganthet created a ring independent of the Central Battery and gave it to Kyle Rayner after Guy Gardner rejected the offer. After Hal became good again, all of the GL who were still alive were reactivated. The Guardians added a new rule that there would be two GL's per sector. Hal and John stayed on Earth, while Guy and Kyle trained the new recruits. Simon Baz, a new GL, has a family to protect, hence the mask. He has taken over as Earth's GL, while Guy has become the leader of the Red Lanterns and Kyle has taken over as White Lantern and Hal as leader of the Corps and John does different task out in space.

7. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    That's a common complaint, Ken. I was expecting to annoy hardcore comic book readers with my disrespectful and nonchalant take on what is just a very old pulp fantasy universe with more silliness than literary relevance, but if I annoy the "people like things I don't like and it's not fair" crowd, hey, I'll take it.

AmySolo and Rylo Ken like this.
  8. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    that's 15, and I don't think I've even scratched the surface. You haven't annoyed me at all. I think this is great.

9. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    If I was to make a trip to DC, which are the must-see Smithsonian Museums and monuments?

Darkslayer and Kerr_Plunk like this.
  10. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Why is Aqualad?

11. Luigi

Luigi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2006
    darth-sinister I was asking the expert. Please keep your non credentialed and unsolicited opinions to yourself

Ender Sai likes this.
  12. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Some say DC comics have the momentum of a runaway freight train. Why are they so popular?

Ramza likes this.
  13. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Nothing has ever been more popular among fanboys than The Dark Knight. I credit Warner Brothers for so resolutely avoiding trying to recreate the formula of their greatest recent success.

14. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    okay, next question. is aquaman an actual dc character or was he just on the super friends?

Ender Sai likes this.
  15. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Why, at the end of the Speeding Bullets alternate universe story, does a kryptonian Bruce Wayne who has absolutely no reason to forsake his Batman identity switch over to being Superman?

16. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Why did DC get all the good writers and even when those writers did Marvel stuff it wasn't as good? Thinking New X-Men vs anything Grant Morrison did on Batman or his Superman book; Alan Moore; um, Frank Miller minus the Goddamn Batman bit, um, ah, Jeph Loeb etc?

17. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Why did everyone go ape**** over how great Civil War was when Kingdom Come was something that already existed?​

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  18. Kerr_Plunk

Kerr_Plunk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2002
    Dave... what's the most uncommon question asked about DC comics?

Rew and Healer_Leona like this.
  19. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    YOU WILL

Darkslayer and Ender Sai like this.
  20. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Fixed

21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Why do people call it DC Comics when the "C" already stands for comics?

Why are the two gorilla supervillains Gorilla Grodd and Monsieur Mallah? Shouldn't he be Monsieur Gorilla Mallah for consistency? Failing that, are there other gorilla supervillains that Grodd feels the need to differentiate himself from?

Darkslayer and Frank T. like this.
  22. Kerr_Plunk

Kerr_Plunk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2002
    that was me.... i tried to go back and edit it.... but too late... :(

23. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    In tht one issue, where thingy did their usual thing, but the result wasn't as expected, what happened next?

24. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    If this is true, then how do you know so much about the last ten years of DC Comics?

AmySolo and Ender Sai like this.
  25. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008

Kerr_Plunk likes this.