main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Ask The Forum's DC Expert!

Discussion in 'Community' started by JoinTheSchwarz , Mar 21, 2016.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    In fairness, I think he was mostly trying to avoid getting questions about the Lincoln Memorial. Not that it worked.

2. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    That's the company's actual name.
    [​IMG]

Dagobahsystem and Kerr_Plunk like this.
  3. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Are they ever going to make a movie or TV show about Artemis? Do you find it offensive that they haven't even though they feature other characters from "Green Arrow" that no one cares about?

4. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Why is the Wonder Woman movie going to be set in 1918, with Steve Trevor, Etta Candy, etc, when she's never really had any history in that point of time?

5. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    That's a common question I overlook, Even. The answer is irrelevant, as you will sure make me bleed, because you are badass.
    That's another question I apparently missed, Ken. The answer is antisemitism. Or antizionism. Or... let's leave the topic before the AIPAC Black Ops Team comes knocking.
    That's a common question, Japes. Visit the Capitol Building, the Washington Monument, and try to get a tour of The White House. Museum wise, you need to check (in this order) the National Gallery of Art, the Smithsonian American History Museum, the Smithsonian Natural History Museum, the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum, the National Museum of the American Indian, the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum, and pay a visit to the Library of Congress: it's pretty spectacular! And of course you can't miss the Lincoln Memorial and the Reflecting Pool, the Vietnam Veteran’s Memorial, and the Thomas Jefferson Memorial. If you are lucky you can see the cherry blossoms!
    That's a common mystery, cubman87. Some say he's a piece of DC history that shouldn't be lost. Some say anything you put next to Aquaman looks better in comparison. We might never know.
    That's a common tough question but a fair one. Marcus, there's no single answer. Some readers respond to their integrity, others are more impressed with their incorruptibility. Still others buy their determination to lower prices. And the bureaucrats in the state capital can put that in their pipes and smoke it!
    That's a common question, tom. Yes, he is a comic character, and he is useless. Even better, DC has tried to make him a relevant character by playing up his levels of badassness, causing hilarity all across the readership. "Talking to fishes? Well, we'll se what happens when he starts shooting sharks!" Yeah, but... he's still Aquaman, right? Uh? Someone? Thankfully, he's going to be portrayed by Khal Drogo in the Snyderverse, so we can only imagine the levels of glory we are going to be getting. I picture AquaDrogo grasping a whale by the neck and yelling "DO YOU BREEEEEEEEATHE?" before, like, totally uppercuting it and sending it backflipping through the sea.
    That's a common question, Ramza. Why does every single alternate universe story end up with some return to status quo? Is it another effort to sell us that yes, it's fate, and DC characters are like big modern mythological creatures that should be taken very seriously by everyone? Pulp heroes, you say? Just funny but stupid characters? Perish the thought! Ontological inertia demands a Martian Manhunter! And existence shall twist itself until he happens!
    That's a common fanboy rant, Ender, and one that I already answered in the Facebook group, and quite extensively. You can look it up, but I think it included references to Justice for All and Before Watchmen (and if it didn't, it should).
    That's a common weird question, Rachel, because I don't know anyone that went grodd**** about how great Civil War was, and believe me when I say that I know a lot of deviants. Most people think it's bad to mediocre. Maybe you need better comic-reading friends? And why comparing it to the great KC? The registration agenda? The one that X-Men had been running since the 1970s?

Still, it was fantastically timely, capturing the zeitgeist of the post-9/11 and Patriot Act eras better than almost anything else other than perhaps the Battlestar Galactica redo. Also, it did a great job at resurrecting old Avengers characters that had been left behind by New Avengers and presenting them to a new generation of readers, as well as opening multiple ways for future storylines. Of course, it could never reach the heights of Kingdom Come, but it was never intended to. I personally consider KC to signal the end of the Iron Age of Comics. Plus it was written by Mark Waid, patron saint of this thread, one of the best Superman writers ever, and the person that left the Man of Steel premiere in disgust over how abominable that "movie" was. So yeah, go KC.
    That's a very common question, Laurie.
    That's a common weird question, Todd, for it's not "people "that call them that, but themselves. Are you asking why DC Comics, Inc call themselves DC Comics, Inc, and why their logo yells DC COMICS from every cover? Why would anyone call themselves Detective Comics Comics? Of course, it's a matter of trademarks and copyright enforcement, but I like to think it's all Didio and Johns's doing.
    That's a common question, Todd, but an easily explainable one: you can never have enough gorillas or monkeys in comics. I suggest this read, but be quick, before Gawker Media disappears under the weight of Hulk Hogan's suplex.

Ramza, Dagobahsystem, jp-30 and 4 others like this.
  6. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    What a stupid answer. It would be Hulk Hogan's leg drop.

7. Luigi

Luigi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2006
    Could Batman create a contingency to stop Batman?

8. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes but I feel like you missed the whole XORN IS MAGNETO GAIZ reveal.

Contrast this with Dick Grayson Batman, IF YOU DARE.

9. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I understand that Bill Finger is now being officially credited as the co-creator of Batman. Is this accurate, and is he being officially credited for his work on other DC characters?

10. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of Mark Waid, KC, and Man of Steel. All in one post! Very good.

The people I know who raved about Civil War were people posting here at the time... I don't recall exactly who it was, I just know I heard a lot of hype. KC is just on its own magnificent level. And yeah I mean the registration aspect and heroes v. heroes on the subject, which yes of course X-Men deals with, but KC is in a concise and epic contained story setting, not just a constant running them.

But let's also not forget, you know... Watchmen. So. Yeah. What's the point of Civil War again...?

11. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Thank you for the Washington tipoff David, there are a few things you mentioned that I missed last time I was there.

What are the advantages of DIrect Current over Alternating Current.

12. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    GAH-DUT
    [​IMG]

Frank T. and Ender Sai like this.
  13. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    If Batman, Superman, Flash, Green Arrow and Wonder Woman were animals, what kind would they be?

14. Colm

Colm Jedi Master star 2

May 19, 2005
    What is your favorite DC comic book cover of all time?

15. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    can superman instantly grow a beard whenever he wants? does his beard have the same indestructible properties as the rest of superman?

16. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    What happened to Wally when he "ceased" in the (sadly) final episode of Young Justice Season 2?

17. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    In his 1969 essay "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex," science fiction author Larry Niven discussed the problem of Superman engaging in sexual intercourse with human females. He determined that Superman would have to remain celibate because coitus would almost inevitably be lethal for human women.

Has this important issue ever been addressed in the comics themselves?

18. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    how come Jimmy Olsen doesn't wear women's clothes anymore ?

19. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    And how come Batman doesn't dance anymore?

20. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    That episode of The Simpsons was on FXX last night.

21. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Yes, he can grow a beard and it is invulnerable to a degree. He can burn it off while shaving.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Larry Niven's piece was satire. Clark has had sex with Lois multiple times without killing her and he had his powers.

Yes, to Batman projects. "Batman v Superman" and "Gotham" credit it as Batman created by Bob Kane with Bill Finger. The comics do as well. No, he is not credited with the other books that he worked on.

22. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
  23. Luigi

Luigi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2006
    darth-sinister I already asked you to stop answering my questions which have been addressed to the resident expert. This is bordering on harassment.

Boba Nekhbet, Ender Sai and tom like this.
  24. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    darth sinister please stop spamming the thread. if i wanted to ask "just anyone" my questions i would visit one of the other dozen or so dc threads.

Boba Nekhbet and Ender Sai like this.
  25. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001