main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Feedback on forum's new look

Discussion in 'Communications' started by WebLurker, Mar 26, 2016.

1. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    I hope this's the right place for this (I'm really new to thread creation), but I've seen the new look for the forum, specifically the new movie montage banner that replaced the cartoony Empire scene.

I like it. I really like it. It's a lot better than the old one, in my opinion. I hope it's here to stay. It would be nice if there was some elements from Force Awakens/sequel trilogy in there, but that's nitpicking.

Kudos to the people who came up with the idea and designed the graphic.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    There was actually a contest to design the banner; you can view the contest thread with all of the other entries over in the Fan Art section (direct link).

As for The Force Awakens, there is a shot of Starkiller Base's Republic-destroying shot on the far right. You may need to zoom out to see it if your screen resolution is too low, but it's there.

3. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I like it! It's snazzy!

TheSlave_1 likes this.
  4. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

Oh, you're right; my screen's just a little too small to see it. Good choice of image from that movie.

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    We voted and this one had a fair sample of each film's tone. Glad you like it.

6. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    If you are referring to the new banners, I think they look great!

7. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I think it's bland and boring... and Obi-Wan's lightsaber is purple. Is this really the best that fan art had to offer... a cut and paste job? I'm really not trying to be hurtful, and I'm sorry if I am... I'm just giving my honest feedback. I think we can do much better than this. It has no personality at all.

8. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    It's just okay for me. I'm a little surprised this one was picked....a few of the other entries looked a lot better.

Snokers likes this.
  9. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I'm liking it. :)

10. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I hate to be the voice of dissent here, but I think the new main banner is horrible. There's no real overall cohesiveness to the design or the color palette, the image of the Battle of Geonosis is blurred because it's too zoomed in, Obi-Wan's saber is purple and it's a missed opportunity to showcase something from TFA on the left where someone can actually see it. Overall, it looks like someone slapped together random stills from the various films with no regard for design, balance or color. I give it a D-

11. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Looks like hot garbage. Straight fire in my flesh.

12. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    SuperWatto - please, for the love of glob, save us from this banner. I know you can make something fantastic. DO IT!!

Please.

13. Snokers

Snokers Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2015
    If I'm being perfectly honest I'm quite surprised that one was chosen, looking through some of the others makes that one seem a bit meh but I still like it nonetheless and well done to the guy who created it!

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  14. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Well done to seven random images from Star Wars films clumsily faded into each other with no design sense or color aesthetic?

15. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    The contest was open to everyone.

16. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I was not aware of it, as I don't post in or read FanArt.

Boba Nekhbet likes this.
  17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Pretty sure it was announced in the YJCC after Sith-Lord-Gunray made a thread. I don't visit Fan Art either but I knew about it.

18. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    There was also a board-wide announcement in the announcement banner space the entire time the contest was open (which was in September and October last year). So there's really no excuse for not knowing about it.

19. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
  20. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    You can block whatever offends your delicate sensibilities by using an adblocker.

Admiral Volshe and Dandelo like this.
  21. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

There was a site-wide board notice up for months last fall.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  22. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    So I probably ignored it. Does that somehow invalidate my feedback on the winning design?

23. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Make a new one Strilo or SuperWatto

24. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    LOL I would have to completely start over on my library of images. I trashed everything years ago.

25. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    I like the old one a little better but it is good that they have one that features the entire saga. Plus, it's good to change it up every now and then! Bravo to whoever created it :)

jcgoble3 likes this.