main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[April Fools!] The End of the Expanded Universe Community

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Bardan_Jusik, Apr 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Hello all, it saddens me greatly to say this but with the "Disnification" of Star Wars and the relegation of the Expanded Universe to Legends, it has been decided (after months of debate) by site staff that the EUC can no longer continue as structured. Thus the EUC is being locked pending the archival process. I've been tasked (OK I volunteered, I'll have a bit more free time without this forum to moderate) with preparing various threads for moving to either SWC or Lit. Decisions on which threads to move will be done on a case by case basis and with the co-operation of the destination forum's staff. Those that are not moved will remain archived here. Please bear with us as we go through this process, if you have any questions or concerns please PM either myself or Sinrebirth or post here in this thread. Thank you for your understanding.

[​IMG]

2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Oh, I understand.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Like I said in the MS thread: we should've done this back when the rebrand happened. Long overdue, and frankly I think it helps remove the stigma of modern, properly canonical non-film entries in the Star Wars universe from being freely discussed in their correct context, unlike Legends, which was always positioned as a subservient, lesser product. No need to tie up staff effort to a corpse.

4. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Sorry Bardan, but this is a pretty lame joke IMO. :p

5. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  6. KaleeshEyes

KaleeshEyes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2016
    It's April the 2nd here.

7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    It should never have existed. The EU was always a stain upon Star Wars, and not have even been acknowledged by such an esteemed website.

DieWompRatDie likes this.
  8. Shira A'dola

Shira A'dola Jedi Master star 6

Sep 4, 2012
  9. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Well yeah. Admittedly the timing in the US isn't fantastic but Bardan insisted that if we were going to do this it'd be best to rip the proverbial bandage off.

What can I say? Previous administrations had lax standards. All I can do is try and make things better going forward.

Trebor Sabreon and Diggy like this.
  10. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    It's actually smart to do it today. With people thinking it's a joke, you limit the protests. It's Palpatine-esque.

And the EU is garbage.

11. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    If this isn't April Fools, I will RIOT! :p

Padawan4687 likes this.
  12. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    I am really truly sorry you feel that way. This wasn't easy for me either, the EUC is what brought me to the JC Forums. Sadly it is for the best of the forums, and once the ModSquad vote was concluded (yesterday, though the writing has been on the wall all week, the vote was pretty overwhelming) I figured it best to just announce it now so people would stop wasting their time. Fortunately both LIT and SWC will remain (mostly) as they are, and each will be receiving new additions, and the opportunity for making new online friends will for most hopefully arise.

13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    You need to get over it, pal.

14. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    Oh wow, you're actually serious about this? :eek:
    I have to say, I find this horrible news. It stung when Disney decided to trash EU, considering I've been an EU fan for ages and it was what kept me in the fandom, and especially active on these boards in the years after PT. At least there was a place here at JCC where I could "call home", and EUC was a fantastic community. Now that TFA release affected most of the discussion on Star Wars pretty much everywhere, I really appreciated a place to come in to and discuss some of the stuff from the good ol' days.

I truly hope this is considered more, or at even perhaps to give a forum for Legends at some point.
    Just my 2 cents. This made me legit sad.

SWpants and Sinrebirth like this.
  15. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    Happy April Fool's, :)

16. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    We might consider giving Legends a dedicated tag in Literature if and when Disney decides they'd like to do more with that part of the brand, but for now it's being so thoroughly disregarded by the Mouse that I don't think it requires special attention at this time.

17. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    Being disregarded by the Mouse doesn't mean that it doesn't have its fans / people who'd like to discuss it. And discussion of the great mythos that is SW sounds like a purpose of the boards.

18. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I absolutely agree, which is why we still provide venues for talking about current novels, comics, tv shows, and the like.

19. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    *bans Ramza*

*bans Bardan*

*bans self*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    The fans don't matter. We are lucky to be gifted anything Star Wars. If Disney have jettisoned the old EU, we have no logical course other than to do the same.

And I'm glad. I spent so much time and money on the EU, out of obligation, never enjoyment. The day Disney announced it was getting cut, it was with great glee I set those terrible books on fire.

The purpose of the boards is to discuss the great mythos of SW. Which is why it's a great thing Legends will no longer be discussed. You seem like you changed your mind and now support the move? It's always wonderful to see someone on the internet to be humble enough and admit they're wrong. Kudos to you!=D==D==D=

21. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Please tell me this is an April Fool's joke. I really don't find this funny, and I don't see how having a forum for those of us who still enjoy something we heavily invested in (and is still being sold in book stores) is somehow detrimental to the overall forums. Disney moved it to its own continuity, they didn't recall and burn everything.

Edit: You will pry Kyp Durron from my cold, dead hands. Or at least you can TRY.

22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I agree that it would be a bad thing for any of the active Legends character fanclubs to be closed.

Amon_Amarth likes this.
  23. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Basically seconding what Amon_Amarth said.

It's very sad for me. Since I've essentially stopped reading fanfic, the EUC was the more comfortable place for me to interact with others, and one of the very few subforums I visit. I understand the decision and am much more willing to give evil glares to Disney (who runs he show) than to you (who are just rolling with the punches they've dealt).

24. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    SWpants have you tried the JCC? Lot's pf fun interaction there.

25. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    This isn't something they would joke about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.