main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social What is your first memory of Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 23, 2012.

1. corinthia

corinthia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2016
    my first star wars memory: my parents left me with a sitter when they went to go see phantom menace in '99 when it came out. I distinctly remember my mom telling me I couldn't come because it was a "grown up movie" and that I wouldn't like it. I was 4 and I wanted to see it so bad...

then later when attack of the clones came out, it quickly became one of my very favorite movies. I picked it out pretty much every time my family would go to blockbuster or hollywood video to rent movies lol

2. Adella7

Adella7 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 8, 2016
    My first memory of Star Wars was watching it on tv a long time ago. I'm a little nervous right now when it comes to posting here.

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  3. zisme

zisme Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2016
    my first memories of star wars are quite blurry. i have two and i'm not sure which happened first. both were scenes from ROTJ. early 90s. i was probably in the neighborhood of 5 years old.

i believe this is the first. it is a little more vivid.
    one is that i was at my grandparents house for some kind of family gathering, maybe a holiday or the superbowl. my grandparents house had a small den/living room that everyone would cram in around the TV. me and three of my cousins, all fairly close in age were sitting on the floor as the adults took up the chairs and couches. someone starts flipping through channels and passes broadcast of ROTJ. It was the scene where Jabba drops Luke into the rancor pit. My youngest uncle, who was probably just finishing up high school at the time, yells "That was Star Wars!" and demands the channel be changed back. After about 10 seconds of seeing the rancor (most likely gobbling the gamorean), my very conservative Mennonite grandmother requests that it be turned off, exclaiming it is "silly" in an attempt to reassure the younglings in the room. I don't recall being particularly scared at what i was seeing, but neither was my curiosity peaked. i remember my cousin who is about 6 months older than me being disappointed - he was quite the hellraiser growing up and boasted an early exposure to violent and scary media.. But, being the somewhat sheltered child that i was, i was rather ambivalent about my first glimpse of Star Wars - and did not protest when the channel was changed again.

the second memory had to have been very close timewise to the first, as i remembered connecting the two. i was at my aforementioned older cousin's house for reasons i can't remember. i must not have been there long, and may have been about to leave. i just remember standing in their living room while he and his dad were watching ROTJ. It was the scene where the ewok steals the speeder bike. I'm pretty sure i knew it was star wars, and again - didn't think much of it.

it wasn't until a few years later that i fell in love with the saga, when a buddy from school (who ended up living one street over from me) showed me the OT on VHS at his house

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  4. BenToRen

BenToRen Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 25, 2016
    I was probably 7 or so and my brothers were watching it. The next day I peppered them with questions!

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  5. Drifter1158

Drifter1158 Jedi Youngling

Feb 27, 2016
    Buying an AT-ST from Kenner, I think I never heard of the movies back then lol

6. JediLovett92

JediLovett92 Jedi Knight

Dec 31, 2015
    My earliest star wars memory was watching my dad's empire strikes back vhs tape over a million times

7. drewbacca11

drewbacca11 Jedi Youngling

Feb 25, 2016
    I started getting heavily into Star Wars thanks to the Shadows of the Empire video game on the Nintendo 64, even though I had seen the OT before that. My older brother and my cousins being fans probably helped with that. In fact, seeing by big brother on the floor with his G,I. Joe's, He-Man and Star Wars action figures, and AT-AT's is probably my first Star Wars-related memory.

8. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    My uncle and I playing with Brio trains while watching ESB. I must have been only 2 or 3 here:
    [​IMG]

9. Yavanna

Yavanna Jedi Youngling

Mar 1, 2016
    I was eight. It was in the cinema... I saw the yellow letters and heard a musical explosion. Love a first sight [face_love]

10. Negotiator1138

Negotiator1138 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 23, 2016
    Honestly, I saw the special editions in theatres when i was two and a half and we had copies of them on VHS, so I don't remember seeing it for the first time. But my earliest memories of starwars involve the toys from the nineties. From the movies, scenes during Luke and Vader's duel on Bespin stick out in my memory. As well as the shot of the Millenium Falcon diving into Death Star II. The shot where the headlights shine into the camera, that one sticks out to me.

11. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    I was around 8, bought a Jawa, Bossk and R2-D2 figures from the power of the force line, later that year I rented ESB and ROTJ thanks to my mother, from that point on... it was love!

12. DarthCricketer

DarthCricketer Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2016
    Mine is people in my early primary school years being all obsessed over it at the time A.O.T.C. and R.O.T.S. came out. It took me about another decade before I knew what on Earth they were obsessed about.

Skiara and ObiWanKnowsMe like this.
  13. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Watching Star Wars in the cinema as an experienced 9 year-old science fiction fan.

Starfield - familiar territory.

Blockade Runner -I'm used to that size of ship from tv stuff. Mm, seems to be firing back at something.

Star Destroyer - the BIGGEST EVER SHIP I had seen to date, so slow and majestic, taking forever to pass over the screen. Sort of hooked from then.

But back in 1977, there were no dvds, videos; you see something you like, but with no opportunity to re-watch, things have limited value

Talk in the classroom that there would eventually be ten SW films piqued interest. Perusing a new bookshop with friends on the way home from junior school, and finding a copy of Splinter of the Minds Eye - same white and yellow primary colours, and same Star Wars title font in red as the Star Wars novelisation. Hold on, this is going to be more than just a single event.

DarthIshyZ and Skiara like this.
  14. panta1978

panta1978 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 20, 2016
    It was 1992 if I can remember, and I was 14. The three films were televised on January, 1st starting from 1.00AM.
    I'd never seen SW, but I was curious since I'd heard a lot about it. I recorded them with my VHS... and the rest is history. I spent the rest of my Christmas Holidays watching, rewatching, and re-re-rewatching them...

15. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    even though a lot of people don't like those movies, the hype was real leading up to their release dates. I was obsessed with buying everything that had to do with AOTC before it came out.

DarthCricketer likes this.
  16. AbsolX

AbsolX Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 30, 2015
    Playing Star Wars on the playground with my friends. I didn't know what Star Wars was then, but as the only girl I was Princess Leia. I thought she was like Princess of the droids or something.

17. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    Saw the Ep. IV when it was released in theatres [face_blush]

I always wanted to be Princess Leia.

The Vanguard and ObiWanKnowsMe like this.
  18. Califer

Califer Jedi Youngling

Apr 7, 2016
    I remember my dad brought home the DVD of The Phantom Menace. He was a fan as a child and actually wanted to see the movie himself. I watched it with him and became an instant fan too. Now as an adult I see the faults of the prequels, but I still have nice nostalgic memories of watching them with my dad. After Episode I we saw the other two movies in the cinema together. He now lives in another country and saw episode VII alone but we still talked about it for hours afterwards. Now I think about it... he was also the one who introduced me to the Lord of the Rings universe :)

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  19. Zendra Devarian

Zendra Devarian Jedi Youngling

Apr 8, 2016
    I was born in the late 80's so by all accounts I should have been a "Prequel Generation Kid" but thankfully for my parents I saw the originals on tv. We didn't own them but I remember being scared because my parents didn't want me to see Darth Vader without his helmet at the end of Jedi.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  20. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    (This part is very fuzzy, I barely remember it) At a friends house they put ROTJ in the VCR and I saw like the first ten minutes of it, this was when I was little, the droids in the desert seemed dull to me, the creepy ugly aliens at Jabbas palace freaked me out so I didn't see much more than that, I left not long after I think.

(I honestly don't remember this part) A few years later an Aunt showed me ANH and from what I am told I loved it

Soon I had watched the entire saga, and fell deeply in love with it, like really far off the deep end in love.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  21. The Vanguard

The Vanguard Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2016
    my aunt and uncle had a booth throughout the 80's/90's at ComiCon in SD (before it was cool.) I remember going there with them, getting my first figurine - the T-47 Airspeeder! My first memories! I also had a lot of fun with a scout trooper and 74-Z speeder bike he came with. [​IMG]

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  22. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    I remember being 4 or 5, shortly after ESB came out and my older brother and his friends being obsessed and constantly quoting "Luke, I am your father!" in Vader's voice. Also, you couldn't go anywhere without someone doing the Vader breathing thing back then. A year or so later I started my own action figure collection. I'm pretty sure Greedo, Dengar and a Tusken Raider was my first installment. Loved the freaky aliens. I loved spending the night at friends' houses and pooling our collections together and waging epic wars that lasted all night long.

I then started collecting the ESB trading cards. It didn't take long for me to be the biggest SW fan at school. My friends and I eagerly awaited the 3rd film, "Revenge of the Jedi". You could pre-order an Admiral Ackbar figure with proofs of purchase!
    I don't think I actually saw ANH & ESB until 1983 (no VCRs back then) when they were on tv in anticipation of the soon-to-be released Episode VI, now titled Return of the Jedi. Which I saw at the theatre, and still vividly remember to this day.

We played Star Wars on the playground during recess everyday. Though my fondest memories were discussing and pondering what the Clone Wars were, and what Anakin was like before he became Vader. Obi-Wan's speech to Luke gave us so much to wonder about. Which is why the Clone Wars cartoon series' are dreams come true for people my age. Those episodes are manifestations of the playground adventures and imaginations of millions of kids.

Also, I grew up in a town on the Oregon coast, which is all dunes and forests. I essentially grew up on Tatooine and Endor. I also actually spent a few years living with my aunt & uncle who lived way out of town literally in the dunes on the edge of a forest. You can imagine how much I related to Luke.

23. GeneralAyer

GeneralAyer Jedi Youngling

Apr 29, 2016
    2010 when my father asked me if i wanted to watch his childhood favorite with me. He showed me the ENTIRE Original trilogy and the next day, He showed me the prequels and after that, my life would never be the same. I basically had one of the largest Star Wars merchandise collections in my city which only has a few Star Wars fans. When i grew older, i grew a fascination on History and started to compare Real World History with Star Wars. Turns out, many Star Wars moments and elements are based on Real Historical figures such as the Galactic Republic's transaction in to the Galactic Empire which was based on the Roman Republic's reoganization into the Roman Empire. The first Star Wars game I ever played was Battlefront 2 which was truly epic.

One of my friends told me of the Expanded Universe and went to check that out and i was very fascinated of what fellow SW fans did to make the SW Universe bigger. Some of my favorite SWEU stories was the Yuuzan Vong War and The Second Galactic Civil War(Which was WAY better than the Force Awakens plot). Its a shame Disney came and ruined everything good in Star Wars. Only the movies and TV series' are canon and the rest Star Wars was deemed non-canon. Its really a shame to see Star Wars favorites like Revan and Delta Squad removed from SW Canon.

The Vanguard and Sith-I-5 like this.
  24. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    While some of my relatives were watching TPM when it came out on DVD I rembered running scared when Maul showed up, as for while I was frightened of him.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  25. callmeojisan

callmeojisan Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2016
    I was in my twenties. I had had many brief talks with George Lucas. I was always trying to persuade him not to make his new Film a pacifist movie. I wanted battles, and lots of them, especially ship to ship. Then one day I was talking to him and he said he had decided on a name for his new movie. He said it was called "Star Wars"! I raised my fist and said YESSS!. I was thrilled. I would finally get to watch My Kind Of Movie. YaY!.

DarthIshyZ likes this.