main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info Rogue One Trailers and TV Spots - NSA Edition

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by TCF-1138 , Apr 6, 2016.

1. OneTrueOverlord

OneTrueOverlord Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 19, 2015
    I wouldn't be surprised if the film ends up explaining why they brought the Bothans in the second time around :p

2. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    So this looks so much better than TFA, I just had a Star Warsgasm.

3. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014

Oh ok, right. I guess we don't need to care about those Bothans. It was the second Death Star, after all. :)

GMGalenMarek likes this.
  4. Negotiator1138

Negotiator1138 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 23, 2016
    "Many regular old humans died to bring us this information. And Obi-wan Kenobi, he used to be a big deal. Anyone? Okay, nevermind, it's kind of his fault Vader is still stomping around anyways."

Also, my brother thought she looked kind of Mara Jade-ish at the end there. I totally agree!

Ahsoka's Tano and GMGalenMarek like this.
  5. Jolee Bindo

Jolee Bindo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2016
    I really hope Donnie Yen's character is a rogue Imperial Guard. From the first shot he appears in, and his costume (which seems Imperial-style, plus lots of red) this could be the case.

GMGalenMarek likes this.
  6. dva3842

dva3842 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 2, 2008
    It gave me more OT chills. I don't think it's an example of a new prequel trying to do the same as the PT but rather a prequel done in a far better intelligent way, and not another set of ewok adventures. TFA is great as it takes place almost 40 years after this new story and has helped with the healing and recovery.

7. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    I was dreading any spin off films. This trailer has helped a lot.

The one thing I already cannot stand though, are the complaints about another female lead.

8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Indeed. As usual, the Internet has proved to be a terrible place.
    We've had seven Star Wars movies so far (excluding Ewoks and TCW), and one with a female lead. Now, with Rogue One, we'll have two. The boys are still in majority (even when the entire sequel trilogy is done), and we'll get a Han Solo solo movie (couldn't resist, sorry) in a couple of years. A lot of people on the Internet are acting as if it's the end of Star Wars as we know it. It's sad to see such unfiltered sexism in 2016.

I, for one, welcome the inclusion of female leads, since I think they've been MIA up until now (Ahsoka and Cindel Towani being the exceptions) - and I think Rey was amazing in TFA, and Jyn Erso looks to be really interesting too. And that's what's important in the end - good characters.

PymParticles and CowMoo like this.
  9. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I have kept clear of info on this, so I went into the trailer knowing pretty much nothing about the movie. The trailer certainly looks interesting. I'd certainly like to see more, particularly how its going to fit in with the rest of the saga.

10. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I have a really good feeling about this movie.

PymParticles likes this.
  11. ucdex

ucdex Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Nitpick - The female lead looks a bit like Catniss; not sold on the 'I rebel' line. I hope the movie is more well rounded

Love - Mon Mothma ; OMG MON MOTHMA!
    Love - The OG styled effects is amazing. Even the Star Destroyer has that really distinct 'model' look like someone just built it, and shot under a very heavy single light source that was common in the old motion controlled effects shots
    Love - the Imperial officer/Moff/Grand-Moff in white

9/10

12. Keycube

Keycube Jedi Master star 2

Jan 19, 2009
    It's funny; I enjoyed TFA...I think it serves well as a sequel and an entry-level introduction to the SW universe. (I wish people would cut it a break when critiquing it - it actually works really well as a stand-alone film that doesn't need much external context to enjoy it...a big plus when taking young folk that don't want to to hear your far-too-excited pre-exposition on the way to the theatre. But I digress). I enjoyed it because I thought it was the Star Wars I'd been waiting for in terms of tone.

But when I'm honest about it, as much as I love Daisy's Ridley's performance, the novelty and cuteness of BB-8, and just the fact that the film was palatable even when it was marginal, it was Ben Solo's unspoken anguish that defines the film for me. His moments of uncertainty and insecurity. While the end of ROTS was emotional in its own right, Ben's emotional turmoil is different...it's grounded in the basics...very "grass roots". Maybe it's an age thing, but when I get down to it, THAT'S my Star Wars...the human interest stuff that you can take home with you from the theatre.

Which leads me to Rogue One. No smiles, nothing cute...just a grim tale of an ominous threat, oppression, tyranny, and the banding together to fight these things. Back to basics, Star Wars style. I'm picturing the raw, basic themes of ANH with the polished look of TESB. I watched the trailer with clenched fists, maybe shed a tear or two (I <3 AT-ATs), and uttered many an obscenity in excitement afterwards (sorry, coworkers).

Man. I've never been so happy to be wrong. TFA, you'll always hold a special place in my heart; you got me excited for Star Wars again, and you delivered the goods. But I think I may have a new lover.

As always, IMHO.

13. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    After watching the trailer (several times) I determined Lucas Films/Disney is getting more of money

Darth Basin and Tython Dawn like this.
  14. Tython Dawn

Tython Dawn Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    No spoilers pls

SlashMan likes this.
  15. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    One minor nitpick was the construction of the Death Star we see. In ROTJ and ROTS, we see an incomplete Death Star relatively stationary because we can't physically see the progress being made on such a massive structure. But here, we see the plate for the superlaser being snapped into place all at once.

16. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The thing took 19 years to build. Who says the super-laser part wasn't adjusted several times over the years?

Darth Basin and Sarge like this.
  17. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    I mean, I've heard criticisms that the superlaser was already being built in Episode III, but that's not an issue here; we only see the framework in Episode III, while Episode VI shows that the weapons functionality is usually the last thing implemented.

I don't think it was adjusted at all, because that would infer that it was previously used; according to Episode IV, Alderaan was the first test of the weapon. My nitpick before was only about how implausible it seemed that a huge plate was being snapped in at one time. If you look at the original matte, you can see lines and seams that would suggest how it was put together. I guess it could've been assembled elsewhere... but why?

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  18. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll find something to hate on about R1 when it's released.

19. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    Nothing is perfect, and I have a mostly lukewarm enjoyment of TFA, so being better doesn't necessarily mean I love everything about it.

20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I'm guessing that we're seeing the dish installation because that's an effective visual shorthand that the Death Star is in its final stages of construction and will be operational in short order. Let's not overthink this.

(Oh my word, what am I saying?!)

I hope they show us how many rivets it takes to attach the dish to the superstructure, cuz if they don't, SW is RUINED!!!!!

(That's more like it!)

21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I do obviously love this trailer. It doesn't quite fill me with pure nerd joy the TFA trailers did but I like the vibe of this trailer. It's interesting to see a Big Damn Movie about something that if you've been reading the EU (especially this feels like some Bantam era "Tales" stuff) or playing Dark Forces / X-Wing, etc., you're totally used to seeing Star Wars stories that don't involve the giant big moves of the Jedi and that stuff. So I think it's especially awesome we get a whole movie of that stuff. It isn't quite as novel an idea to me since I read novels and all, but it's a great way to show a wider audience the depth of scope and potential on Star Wars universe.

Just from the trailer, I see a bit of Gareth Edward's "ground up" style ala in Monsters and Godzilla where the characters and the audience POV is seeing giant spectacle happening overhead. The big one is the final shot of the trailer as we're running alongside giant AT-ATs. (Hey, you know what'll be awesome? If someone pronounces "AT-AT" in the movie!). Also there's a bit of handheld you can see in here, the shot of Jyn looking out the window, so I expect a lot of immersive visual trickery. But I'm totally fine with this movie, which isn't a proper Star Wars episode, to push the boundaries of what a Star Wars movie should "look like" (however, from the trailer, yeah, it looks like a Star Wars movie. But I expect flourishes).

As for the creepy Imp in white, my heart is set on it being a Grand Admiral just to see it come into a big damn movie continuity. Also if he's standing on the bridge of the Death Star, I'm assuming he's the guy running the Death Star, maybe, whilst Tarkin is .... over there, or something. The movie will figure it out.

Anyway, the shot of the dude walking towards the Royal Guards is either Vader or Palpatine. Haven't figured it out yet. And that last shot of Jyn I'm guessing she has to hijack some Imp fighter gear at some point.

Mustache guy is hopefully Biggs, I think that would be neat. However, I'm not sure if it syncs up properly with the Tosche Station deleted scene with Luke and Biggs if it is (I believe at that point Biggs hasn't left for the Rebellion yet but is going to). But even if that deleted scene is canon anyway? Biggs or Katarn. Let's go with that.

Bloncket and Force Smuggler like this.
  22. dva3842

dva3842 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 2, 2008
    Bloncket likes this.
  23. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    Felicity was awesome in it I'm glad another female lead has taken a leaf out of Rey's book.

24. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Yes but she's also white & also British. They could of picked another actress from another nation.

GMGalenMarek likes this.
  25. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    Nope british is good.