main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Marvel & DC prefixes in the JCC discussion

Discussion in 'Communications' started by TiniTinyTony , Apr 12, 2016.

1. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    In the JCC, in addition to Amph prefix, I was thinking it might be a good idea to have a Marvel prefix and a DC one.

Thoughts?

2. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    No, we don't need more tags. Keep it simple.

3. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
  4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I agree with this. Movie discussions in the JCC get tagged with Amph. People can figure out the details from there. :p

5. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Basically this. Jazib for mod.

6. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
  7. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    Why stop there? Why not a Star Trek tag? Or an Adam Sandler movie tag?

That's why. You start distinguishing one, you need to distinguish them all. Amph is perfect as is.

8. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    So, if I might peel back the curtain on what we're tinkering with a bit, XF 1.5 has a tagging system, subservient to the standard prefix system, that'd be well equipped to handle this (Whether or not that feature survives the testing phases is another matter, of course, it has some implementation issues). Full-blown prefixes would probably not be a good idea, though, for the reasons other people have outlined.

Edit: I should clarify my terms. Prefixes are the little colored buttons in front of thread titles that are used for automatic sorting. Some XF 1.5 functions allow for multiple prefixes, but those can cause clutter. XF 1.5 also introduces a thing called a tag, which also provides a method of automatic sorting, but without affecting the prefixes.

So, for example, it's possible for a thread to be prefixed Amph while having the tags "DC, DC Expanded Universe, Batman, Superman, Cheeseburgers." It'd still show up as "[Amph] Batman v. Superman (An Extended Courtroom Procedural" on the main listing, but by clicking the DC tag within the thread you could jump to a list of all threads with a DC tag, Amph or otherwise.

9. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    why would we need to have those tags at all though? We know it just means dp4m and heels going at it, so the extra tags are surplus to our requirements.

Focus on fixing the ignore feature pls guys (by disabling it what now I didn't say disable who said disable?)

heels1785 likes this.
  10. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I strongly suggest that a mod remove this image ASAP. If a person with epilepsy opens this thread, that image could very easily trigger a seizure.

11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Brilliant idea. We could even go one further and just have a trigger warning tag for all threads. That way the weak will truly inherit the Earth!

12. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    You should not be so flippant about an issue that is life-threatening for people with a certain medical condition. This is not something where the affected need to just learn to deal with it, because they CAN'T just "deal with it". By the time someone with epilepsy realizes they need to click away from that image, it may already be too late to avoid a life-threatening seizure.

13. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Ramza, thanks for peak behind the curtain. I think it's been mentioned before or at least it sounds familiar. If this features makes it into production, then I think it would be handy in quick sorting situations since search has been disabled.

I think this would also be useful in the Gaming board where a thread would have the Video prefix but then one could sort by gaming company (i.e. Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft).

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Then I would question the appropriateness of them posting on a message board in the first place.

There is no point at which the vast majority of the user base would reasonable be expected to assess the capacity of an embedded gif - a supported core function of the boards - to potentially trigger any form of epileptic reaction. To police this you would need to place an unreasonable, unfeasible and unrealistic burden on userbase and administration alike. In the event you do not maintain consistently you give rise to questions of the effectiveness of the moderator/s of that form.

Since this is an unsanctioned environment that has never posed a disclaimer saying "you may find from time to time an image pops up that could cause a seizure" it can be inferred that the JC is not a place intended as safe for epileptics. And therefore, if you are that worried a game could set something off, you can either cripple the experience for the majority to suit an absolute minority (in relative terms) or you can accept that the place never purported to be safe place and therefore, if at risk, abstain from visiting.

15. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I don't consider epilepsy a joking matter but I do consider it wildly off-topic.
    In the future these sorts of "strong suggestions" should be handled via reports, same as any potentially removal-worthy image.

That'll be the end of that discussion in this thread, thanks. Feel free to start a new one if this is an issue that you feel we need to address more thoroughly.

jcgoble3 likes this.