main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Would you wanna see a trilogy based off the Yuuzhan Vong storyline from the books?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by CrAsHcHaOs, Apr 13, 2016.

1. CrAsHcHaOs

CrAsHcHaOs Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 7, 1999
    Yes, I know the old EU is no longer canon. But that doesn't mean that Disney still can't cherry pick stuff from the old EU. In next season's Star Wars Rebels, it's going to have Grand Admiral Thrawn in it, for example.

So after the sequel trilogy is over with, would you want to see them adapt the Yuuzhan Vong storyline from the EU? They would have to change stuff around, of course, but they could follow the same basic storyline.

2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Rebel's going to have Thrawn?! Dude, spoilers!

As for the Yuuzhan Vong story - no. That's when I stopped reading the post ROTJ EU.

3. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    No. Not at all. Not ever.

Dak Oolron and hippie1kenobi like this.
  4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    They would never do the NJO series justice.
    Leave it be.
    Though a threat like them or something out of right field would be appreciated.

5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Nopity nope no.

Darth Basin likes this.
  6. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Not really. I didn't particularly care for the Vong even when they were canon. One of the few things I won't miss from Legends.

7. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
  8. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Well there are reports that a TCW arc would include the Yuuzhan Vong. Though no idea how faithful to the NJO series they would be.

9. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    No. Absolutely not. On second though, HELL NO. Skeletor and his ilk were almost as asinine a basement-dwelling mouth-breather idea as Chewie's death. The day they make it into a Star Wars movie is the day I first pass on a Star Wars movie. Turn every character in Episode VIII into Jar-Jar before allowing that garbage into canon.

Also, no. In case that wasn't clear.

10. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I'm up for anything that's good and doesn't contradict anything.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  11. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I've never read past the Thrawn Trilogy, but I'm surprised to see the vast consensus of dislike that fans have for the Yuuzhan Vong.

I don't know if I'd be up with those exact type of race, and with those events, but I'd love to see something involving a strong alien race from another galaxy or whatever that caused a massive galaxy-wide war. I DO like the idea of something so alien and all-encompassing as that...really kind of changing the galaxy as a whole. Something that could make the "petty squabblings of Republics and Empires and whatnot seem...silly."

Force Smuggler likes this.
  12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    This

13. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    At least they gave us something different from the Sith/Dark siders and Empire as the main threat. The Empire and Republic working together in the series was awesome.

What are your thoughts on Han's death in TFA? The main characters can't die?
    And its possible Chewie might die in this trilogy as well?
    What then?

14. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Mar 8, 2000
    I didn't say that it was a bad idea for main characters to die, I said Chewie's death was stupid. And it was - a freaking MOON fell on him.
    Seth Green summed up what are now Legends books perfectly:

When people are talking about Star Wars and say - "Hey, you know what would be cool?" they're really giving the nerd equivalent of "Hold my beer, watch this."

15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    No idea how realistically possible it is but a force of nature like that killing you after saving your friends son is fitting imo.
    What would be a more fitting death for Chewie in your opinion?

jaqen likes this.
  16. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    No, but I would like to see a KOTOR trilogy

17. The Vanguard

The Vanguard Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2016
    no, not really.

Darth Basin likes this.
  18. medioCORE

medioCORE Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 13, 2012
    I like the NJO, but it can stay in Legends. Though I do love the idea of an extragalactic attack that causes the whole galaxy to try and unite to stop it. It'd be a nice change of pace. Just not necessarily the Vong.

grand_admiral_ewok likes this.
  19. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The Nagai, The Tof, the Ssi-Ruuk.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  20. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Mar 8, 2000

Literally anything. Rey accidentally bumping him out the airlock would be less stupid than a moon falling on him. It was a moon. A MOON. Some of the garbage these EU writers came up with, it's a miracle anyone read it at all.

Dak Oolron and Darth Basin like this.
  21. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Rey bumping him out of an airlock? That's 10 times more insulting to Chewie's character.
    Chewie saved his friend's son who in turn saved his father and Chewie's friend and countless other people when Han would have gladly sacrificed everyone in a fatal attempt to save Chewie.
    The only way to kill him was something larger than life. A force of nature like a moon.
    And exploring Han's character in the Agents of Chaos duology was worth it.
    Hope we get something that good after TFA in relation to Han's death.
    Not that we would get anything good if we followed your idea.
    An accident. No. Just no.

son_of_skywalker03 likes this.
  22. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Mar 8, 2000
    You seem to be caught up with the reason for his death rather than the method. I bet if Chewie was in an explosion, or stabbed with a lightsaber, or the Falcon crashed, he would still die. It's not like he's immortal and only celestial bodies can kill him. The method of his death (death by moon) was so ludicrous and stupid that it downplays absolutely everything else. That's not jumping the shark. That's teaching the shark to rollerblade and then beating him at the X-games by riding a unicorn.

23. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Yeah because the method of death you chose as your example was dumb. Just seems like you weren't even trying to come up with with an idea. An accidental death is more meaningful to you than saving his friends son? There was more story potential after Chewie's death in VP than there would be with your idea. And far more memorable too.

To me, the OT characters are larger than life. An ordinary death just won't cut it. Will I ever be satisfied? Hard to say. Chewie just going down in battle? Perhaps but just not the same as what I felt after finishing VP. Another universe entirely. Who says that their galaxy operates under the same rules as ours?
    Kessel didn't have an atmosphere and if Onderon and Dxun got close enough, you could travel between both.

Tarkin died in an explosion, all Imperials on the DS 1 and 2, the Executor crash,
    Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, Dooku, Kit Fisto, the other two jedi who went to arrest the Chancellor, Mace Windu, etc all died by getting stabbed.
    Plenty of pilots died when their ships crashed.

Been there, done that.
    At least they did something different with Chewie's death.

There is a lot more stupid things than Chewie's death.

24. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Mar 8, 2000
    Method =/= reason. Get it through your head. I'm not saying that it's not in Chewie's character to save friends. I'm saying that it is asinine to drop a moon on someone, and that it's so unbelievably ridiculous that it cancels out ANYTHING good related to it. Know why we've seen people die in the movies with blasters, lightsabers, and explosions? Because that is a legitimate way for people in a war to die. DEATH BY FALLING CELESTIAL BODY IS SO OBTUSE IT STRAINS CREDULITY! Once again, ignore the fact that he died to save someone. That is not in question. He could have died saving friends from rabid and cannibalistic ewoks - that wouldn't make rabid and cannibalistic ewoks a good idea!

Sarge likes this.
  25. xezene

xezene Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Probably a controversial opinion here I guess (judging by these replies), but I've always felt that the Yuuzhan Vong invasion would make a great HBO-like series for Star Wars, almost like Game of Thrones in the Star Wars universe. A trilogy probably wouldn't be long enough to tell the story right, but I do like the NJO, and I think despite (or maybe including the fact) that it has ups and downs, I think it's some of the best stuff of the EU. I like the Thrawn trilogy like everyone else, but NJO is just on another level, it dwarfs everything. I love that the Jedi have to confront their own spiritual beliefs and make sense of things, as their understanding of the Force is challenged. I love that it gives you a real sense of danger and that there are things at stake (let's face it: most Star Wars media doesn't have that element, you know who will live or die). NJO really had you feel that anyone could go. It had a level of surprise to it. I remember being kind of concerned that another major character might bite it at the end. I remember reading Chewie's death and feeling shocked and saddened, but also impressed by the fact that they would do it -- like woah, this is another kind of Star Wars. I was also heartbroken at another character's death which I won't mention here if anyone hasn't read the series. In that way it was sort of like Harry Potter, except it had higher highs and lower lows than that series. Reading NJO could be a bumpy ride -- at its greatest heights, the material approached great literature, but at its lowest lows, it was almost unreadable tripe. Fortunately I think the average was on the side of the good. To me, the NJO felt like the natural extension of the universe, and it made everything so much bigger, so much vaster; I feel that it enriched the Star Wars universe considerably. It really broadened everything and there was mystery again, real mystery and things you wondered. The fact that we could follow this whole war from start to finish and see how it changed all these characters was, I think, a great plus in the end. I think it is honestly a great story, and I love how all the books connect pretty well. NJO I think usually gets the grimdark label thrown at it -- which I think is a tad unfair, since that applies more to trash like Legacy of the Force which I headcanon out of existence -- but it's true NJO got pretty dark. I would use the word serious. That can go either really well or really badly. In NJO's case, I think usually it went very well. So overall, two things: I know Disney will never do it, and I would love them to do it. I have zero faith Disney would handle this story properly, only the old Lucasfilm might have done it justice, but in a fantasy world, sure, I'd watch it. It would alienate a huge amount of Star Wars fans, but just selfishly, I would be a big fan of seeing Jacen, Jaina, and Anakin's story told. :)

ChrisLyne, Valiowk and Force Smuggler like this.