main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub REYLO Fanclub

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by jackson384, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    Darth_Furio likes this.
  3. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
    Everyone can simply add their names on their own. :D

REYLO Fan club

Darth Furio
    Darth Frared

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. mihaitzateo

mihaitzateo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 5, 2015
    mihaitzateo

Darth_Furio likes this.
  5. Aetius888

Aetius888 Jedi Master star 2

May 23, 2005
    I'm surprised this is controversial around here, because it seems pretty glaring, at least on Kylo's side of the equation. .The good girl who goes for (and tries to reform) the bad guy - especially a bad guy with a sensitive side and a tortured past - is pretty much ...... every film ever directed at women. The fact that he's a prince and a knight who she meets in a forest .... speaks for itself, I would think.

I don't feel certain that Reylo will happen. But I would be kinda surprised if it's not what's going on with Kylo in the coming films. But it's funny that so many seem resistant to it. There are really only a couple of things that they can do that would shock the audience - a big "Wow, I didn't see that coming moment." I was thinking that Reylo would be too unsurprising to do it. Apparently it would be.

6. mihaitzateo

Oct 5, 2015
    What is so special about the fact they meet in a forest ?
    Is like the story with Red Riding Hood and the bad Wolf ?
    But Rey is not going to give food to her grandmother.
    Nope
    But if people would watch TFA with more care,they would see that is J.J intention to troll Rey and Daisy Ridley was specially chosen
    because she has a strong sense of humor and she played Rey as J.J wanted.
    As for Kylo this character is also trolled.

7. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
    I think that some people in SW Fandom are hooked on a Jaina/Jacen Solo relationship between the two of them. Then TFA explains that Han and Leia only had Ben. (As far as we know), so naturally people folk to the theory that Rey is Luke's child. By that point, most people are fixed on Rey and Ben being cousins. For some there is little room to expect that these two could be linked romantically. As for controversial, some posters were just being foolish and going after mods in public.

8. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    mihaitzateo

Please don't try to stir up people over Reylo and whether or not they think it's 'trolling' for the characters. This thread is doing really well and I'd hate to see it get locked. Keep it civil please.

darth_frared likes this.
  9. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    i'd be very very surprised if nothing was made of their relationship. there are so many possibilities and so many of them i feel are epic.

i have a feeling that some of the controversy arises from the trope that you already mentioned, that the good girl reforms the bad guy, in other words that she is only written into the story so that kylo can be redeemed.

i feel that this is there and i really hope for his redemption either way, but i feel that her not reciprocating would even be more tragic. someone on the old thread wrote this melancholy piece of kylo being exiled and kinda living. it kinda made me well up all by itself.

i just can't see the story end on such a sad note.

but either way she comes for him in the end of the vignette, so i guess it's ok.

she is her own person and how she is with him in TFA already points to her being able to hold her own against him. he is the one who professes his, er, help, he is the one who has to wait for her response, she walks away from both the men in her life by the end of this. i think she isn't ready even though she's done some maturing already.

there is a very good bit of meta on transformative love here: http://reylohasmyheart.tumblr.com/post/143461490681/kylo-ren-and-rey-the-notion-of-equality-and-the

he does come across as a predator in the forest (i do love this with the power of a thousand suns) but i've also found, apart from a big cat/wolf, he does a nazgul? like his ship resembles the nazgul beast and the the takodana battle set is very middle earth and he himself is death personified.

i do wonder what the brief for his costume was. must resemble vader, must be black, must be a version of her costume, must be crusader-ish, must be covering him wholly, must allow movement...

10. Dark_Disciple

Dark_Disciple Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2005
    ...must look monk like. He pursues his dark side ambition with a fervour that borders religious. So much is about faith with him. If I do this, this will happen, cause, the Force. A lot of what he does is not logical. A lot of it is just do it and hope for the desired outcome. His interactions with Rey brought on his awakening to something else, a connection more tangible then the esoteric nature of the force. There was more to life then just Snoke in the force gang.

11. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    Dark_Disciple i've spent so much time entertaining that whole holy war thing... it's massively icky because of the current political situation of course but that's also a reason i think they might go for that kind of angle. the imagery is very christian and crusade-y. so it makes sense to make this about fanaticism.

i agree with the religious fervour (i don't think it borders, i think it is pretty full-on), i have been debating in my head whether i would prefer him to have a different motive for killing han, something that springs from a grander plan he has, and at the moment i'm uneasily settling for, no other purpose. i think it has to be all his warped logic. otherwise it muddles everything. i don't think i could handle some backhanded reasoning on why patricide is acceptable under the circumstances and i would appreciate it if the writers didn't try to force it but we shall see of course.

but also, along with the crusading comes a special kind of abstinence so rey i think symbolises his own sexual awakening as well.

if snoke is a kind of high priest type, what on earth did he promise him? eternal life? the kingdom of the force? chosen one status?

and when did this start? the bloodlines spoilers
    i know indicate that he was fine in his mother's eyes for a long time. so, is this all tied in with not having his heritage revealed to him? it could be a huge deal but really that huge?
    if it involves radicalisation of some kind (which in this angle it should), this is best done in isolation. did snoke isolate him for a while but why go there willingly?

argh.

12. mihaitzateo

Oct 5, 2015
    Well,I was thinking, what should be the reason for Kylo joining the dark side?
    First,I was thinking,that he is egotist.
    But,later I have come to another conclusion : Kylo and Rey where being trained together ,as future Jedis.
    Kylo have fallen in love with Rey. But Rey was not happy about how powerful was Kylo with the Force.
    So then Kylo started to blame himself for not being good enough for Rey,instead of just not carrying.
    And he tried more and more to get more powerful with the Force,getting closer and closer to the dark side.
    This is why Kylo did not tried to kill Rey when they were together at the academy.
    Neither he tried to kill Rey in TFA.
    I know this opinion will be very unpopular. But if we remember Anankin also falls to the dark side because he loves Padme too much. And when Anakin falls to the the dark side,for Padme, Padme comes to blame him.

Tzeen and Darth_Furio like this.
  13. Aetius888

Aetius888 Jedi Master star 2

May 23, 2005
  14. socialnole

socialnole Jedi Youngling

Mar 24, 2016

Can the mods please now re-open the possible relationship between Kylo and Rey thread? There has been more news in recent weeks (Collider Jedi Council, Making Star Wars, pictures of Daisy, Adam, and Mark in the same location take your pick) on some type of relationship going on between Kylo & Rey? (allies, or master & padwan, or still mortal enemies, or force bonded, or perhaps a romance).

I've never encountered this level of intolerance in any other fandom (Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Harry Potter). At the end of the day we're dealing with fiction and not real life people. Let people like what they are going to like. I'd also like to note that I'm okay with any new relationship that happens in this series if it's Finn/Rey awesome, if it's Strompilot great, Reylo great, no romance for anyone super!

In the end I have faith the story they come up with will be interesting.

ReyKenobi, darth_frared and Aetius888 like this.
  15. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    It's not an intolerance for any potential relationship. If site staff were intolerant of that than this thread wouldn't exist. It's an intolerance for trolling and the constant whining and complaining of a few users. Enjoy the relationship/potential relationship here and cease with the complaining about mod actions. If you have an issue or problem, take those up in a PM or in Communications. Do not derail this thread again with such complaints or it too will be locked.

TheSilentInfluence likes this.
  16. socialnole

socialnole Jedi Youngling

Mar 24, 2016
  17. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Enjoy your vacation.

18. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    The funny thing is that it doesn't exactly spell romance, but their relationship will have to be explored either way. It could really go so many places.

19. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    Lurker here. *waves*

Still trying to find the lost meta and really appreciate the links. I was tickled to see Maggie N. pop up in the Atlantic article. She's old guard before the Internet.

Don't know if you've seen the current conversation over in the Ep8/9 Spoilers and Speculation trunk discussing speculation for Kylo and Rey moving forward. Some insightful stuff. Would love to keep this conversation going.

When I saw the film the first time, I didn't see Kylo and Rey as a pairing. But the meta in the following months has convinced me otherwise. The are two sides of the same coin.

She was hidden and felt like those who abandoned her cherished her. Ben was purposely sent to Luke to learn and be protected and he felt abandoned. Both are made of dark and light yet Rey exudes light while being tugged by the dark (she was encouraged to kill Kylo by Snoke during their saber battle.) on the other hand, Kylo is the dark that still feel the pull to the light. Neither could kill the other when they had the opportunity.

As I wrote in that other thread, together they create balance. And isn't that what the Anakin Skywalker prophecy is all about, bringing true balance to the Force. Balance can never be achieved if only light or dark prevail. In that circumstance, the scale tips one way or another.

But together they become grey, the worst of the dark is overcome and the ascetic dysfunction (cleave yourself from the love and support of friends and family--which Ben felt happened to him) of the light. Grey is about embracing the subtle nuances of living. There can be tempered anger, there can be fear yet finding strength, there can be positive energy that come from passion. And it is the balance that brings serenity instead of a pure ascetic void.

And perhaps this is why so many people cannot stand the concept of Reylo and want to silence the idea.

*shrugs*

The Star Wars universe has from its inception been about the black and whir separation of the two sides of the Force. It has always been light is good, dark is bad, and there is nothing in between. Reylo challenges the fandom to consider pragmatism.

This is not unlike the Buffy/Spike relationship from BTVS. Trust me, there is a ton of meta on Spuffy addressing the same themes including redemption. And there is equal pushback from the so-called mainstream. But there is also the same undercurrent of balance and the hope for sustainable redemption.

Absolute black and white is not a sustainable concept. Both sides are subject to corruption. But together both can create grey.

I guess that is why I find myself in the Reylo camp.

20. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    hello Birkendoc i am greeting you as the purveyor of excellent conversation on the topic of reylo!

or something.

i find that reylo as a thing or their dynamic in general, addresses a few very pertinent issues in the story and even in our *real* world. one of the questions that the redemption story would have to answer is why anyone should try to redeem kylo, or why kylo would redeem himself. he did have a chance and rejected it. why would rey want to bother at all? and i know i'm sort of playing devil's advocate here, but it's a really important thing to be addressed.

the way it's set up is that is that two lonely children (i know they are technically adults but they don't really behave as adults) meet and share a moment of their deep fears but not voluntarily. i think you can build something from that. and i love the idea of rey becoming intrigued with his back story and poking luke about it. what really happened? and i know there's been a lot of assumption on there having been a massacre but there's excellent meta on the redemption and on the implication of 'destryong luke's work', which i think is this trilogy's 'darth vader killed your father'.

and me, i think the potential for eploring those relationships and seeign someone come back from the dark side, that is so so rich in potential, i think if the writing is up to scratch, they'd have a real winner on their hands.

but it's challenging, that is true. i just personally feel that star wars, that story, is desperate for nuance and shades. and to me kylo's struggle is the struggle with a value system that only knows black and white, his internal conflict is borne out in the spiritual and political poverty of the story and he will hae to find a way to navigate and be himself and it's a really beautiful version of becoming. painful but also very real.

Darth_Furio likes this.
  21. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
  22. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    I'm somewhat invested, going on the assumption that Rey isn't actually related to Kylo. That would make me change my stance. But a beauty and the beast style romance? That I can get behind.

23. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    Alixen i think it is fairly certain they are not related.

the ship can still sail even with blood relations, it's fiction after all. but anyway, i don't believe the movie sets them up like that for them to be blood relations??!! it would be incredibly rubbish story-telling and so far i still trust them on their story-telling.(although i falter occasionally. one must be optimistic.)

i read a lot of posts on tumblr on redemption and how incredibly important it is to people on a personal level. this is a good one: http://reylo-musings.tumblr.com/post/143522562241/why-you-might-not-need-kylo-rens-redemption-but even though i believe that redemption is tied up with rey massively and that it is impossible without her, i think redemption in and by itself is even more pertinent and necessary (i think in the sense that we have so few stories that deal with that kind of redemption and with the weight that is given to the character's conflict)

anyway, here's a good analysis of jungian psychology http://gointothestory.blcklst.com/2...ion-of-rey-and-kylo-ren-in-star-wars-vii.html with regard to rey and kylo ren.

here's a good quote from it:

Birkendoc, Darth_Furio and Alixen like this.
  24. amyers3

amyers3 Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2016
    I read somewhere Kylo and Rey will likely end up with a positive and epic relationship but in a non-mushy sense. That storyline ending feels very Disney but way too safe after the Kylo and Rey close encounters we saw in TFA. Their powerful scene chemistry with its seductive yet subversive messages was jaw-dropping. After Han was killed it seems folks may see Kylo as too demented to give him a chance at redemption. I may even be one of those folks. Unless, of course, we get a good scene with him crying in front of Leia for his crimes but I don’t see that happening.

After TFA I need to see how the whole force balance theme & possible romance between Kylo and Rey will play out. I don’t know how the writers will proceed. It is almost scary how difficult it might be to get fans to forgive Kylo especially after he presumably continues to plow down the dark side path in Episode VIII. I still want to see an epic relationship eventually come to realization between Kylo and Rey by the end. Or at least the insinuation of relationship intentions for a more mature and balanced Kylo and Rey.. I am conflicted because Kylo just seems too dark to be with our heroine (unless –please no- Rey goes dark herself for a scene or two.) Back to Kylo, he is too refreshingly vulnerable and central to the story to write off but almost too awful to be handed Rey. Maybe his end could be him standing as the unchallenged leader of an undefeatable First Order (something not even Vadar did) but alone without family or Rey.

If too many people feel Kylo is unredeemable after killing Han, I kind of image an possible ending with a secret closeness compromise for the good of our main couple’s force balance (I presume is to be reached) as well as for the good of political peace throughout the galaxy. I can understand the importance of separating the villain from the hero for the most part. It is a fairy tale/Disney fantasy story after all. It is almost like the point of no return was crossed and Kylo cannot be allowed to ever be a good guy now in the eyes of some. Yet redemption on any level is still a beautiful thing even if Kylo cannot be completely redeemed in the eyes of his universe or in the Star Wars fandom (RIP Han). Kylo Ren will really have to prove himself in some big ways at different times if full redemption is to be had for him through the next two movies.

I don’t know what type of force balance Kylo and Rey are supposed to accomplish together but I have a hard time seeing them ending up together in a sweet relationship with a redeemed Kylo. On the other hand, I cannot imagine Kylo being separated from Rey either at the end of these movies whether by a sacrificial death or what not. Their connection seems too concrete now to leave them at the end of their story with only mutual understanding and respect between them. I do believe they have a good deal of fighting and character growth ahead before all is well and balanced in the force and their relationship.

I hope these two somehow find their force balance, whatever that looks like, and for political reasons live out their lives separately while in public ((Super wild guess: perhaps Rey will train force users in the ways of force balance with knowledge gained from ancient artifacts & Kylo will run the First Order by default)) while they carry on a secret life together. A bit reminiscent of Anakin and Padme’s married double life, I know, but it’s the only way I think of them being allowed together after the end of these movies with Kylo’s villain past and Rey as a glowing hero. This way the evil or once evil Kylo Ren suffers consequences and does not really win but he does not lose everything either. This outcomes assumes Rey and Kylo will both survive and both care about each other by the end. Still, whatever happens will be exciting.

Darth_Furio likes this.
  25. diariodeoi

diariodeoi Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2016
    balance to the Force YIN: Kylo YANG: Rey
    There is no dark without light, I think that the balance is a thing of two.
    But, this would not be possible, because the prophecy foretold: Chosen One.
    Could something else be The Chosen One?
    No jokes with Dragon Ball's fusions.