main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Battlefield 5: Battlefield 1 [Coming in October]

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by AstroDroid88, Feb 26, 2016.

1. AstroDroid88

AstroDroid88 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2016
  2. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Interesting decision by Battlefront to contrast themselves from the modernity of combat in the recent iterations of Call Of Duty. I think COD are going to follow suit because BF5 will likely do very good business.

3. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    A mainstream first person shooter that doesn't involve invading aliens, Islamic fundamentalists or Russian nationalists armed with nukes?

I'll believe it when I see it.

Jedi Ben, Deliveranze and Life like this.
  4. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    WW1? Can't wait for levels that finish after 10 seconds.

*spawn*
    OVER THE TOP!
    *respawn*

5. H-BOMB

H-BOMB Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2009
    In between respawns we can look forward to sitting in a cold muddy trench for hours and hours, firing off the occasional shot.

Until the mustard gas gets us.

But in all honesty I think this is pretty exciting. WWI and earlier periods of conflict have been woefully underrepresented in a lot of video games, and it will be interesting to see how Battlefield handles it. After all the years of high-tech, modernadvancedfuture warfare shooters I've been itching to see some older stuff.

Deliveranze likes this.
  6. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Seriously, I'm struggling to envisage Battlefield doing WW1 given the franchise's strong focus on vehicular combat. WWI may have saw the rise of motorized artillery units, tanks and fighter planes, but they were cumbersome, unwieldy things. They're certainly not the kind of toys that I expect Battlefield's typical audience to enjoy playing with. Heck, EA couldn't even let Visceral release a game of cops and robbers without adding black hawks with mini-guns into the mix.

I will eat my hat if this gets revealed to entirely revolve around the first world war.

Now if anyone does want to see a FPS based on the trench warfare of the first world war then Verdun is a pretty good option for anyone who plays on PC. It still gets support from the developers and mostly nails the futility of trench warfare. There's no flanking like in Battlefield games, the maps aren't open areas with control points dotted all over the place. Instead they're shaped like narrow corridors, funneling players into directly facing each other. It's also a rare occasion where dying because you desert the battlefield is thematically apt. The teams take it in turns going on the offense and defense, trying to take sectors of the map off of each other until either one team is pushed off of the map entirely or the clock runs out. Most games end with the clock running out. Verdun does a really good job at creating game mechanics that emulate what it would have been like to fight over just feet of land.

Life likes this.
  7. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    Not so sure about the WW1 time but I look forward to it, BF4 is really the only game I still play online.

Deliveranze and Jhawk117 like this.
  8. AstroDroid88

AstroDroid88 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2016
    Lol yup, same. I bought Hardline but never got into it. So doesn't compare to BF4

9. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    I'll be honest and say Battlefield 1942, Vietnam and 2 were the only ones I enjoyed. I did kinda like Battlefield 3 but....meh.
    That said, not sure how this is going to work. This could be some revolutionary era for FPS games or fail horribly that no one will ever touch WWI again. (Not like anyone will :p) Either way, I'm more than curious.

10. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I played a bit of 1942, Vietnam and BF2...and sucked horribly at all of them. I never played BF3, mainly because I'm pretty sure my computer can't handle it...but also, from the videos I've seen it looks too realistic, to the point of it being disturbing to me. Now, I've engaged in all sorts of digital carnage in various RTS and FPS games, and perhaps it didn't feel like carnage because they always had this cartoony element to them...but I think BF3 just made it look too real. Not to mention, with certain real-life events going on, the premise of these games feels a lot more depressing and not so much fun and games.

11. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Haven't enjoyed a Battlefield since Battlefield 2: Modern Combat. Yes a **** port of BF2, but damn it was fun. A perfect Conquest mode, with great maps, and a need for strategic and tactical thinking. I felt I actually had freedom to do what I wanted in a big sand box. A big chess game.

I don't get that with the Battlefields from BC(Although looking back I did enjoy the first one) on up. Flags are just thrown anywhere, and it's mostly more focused on the kill count as opposed to making you think about how to take over the entire field.

Plus the most annoying thing are the Tanks that shoot dodge balls. In MC and previous BF's you'd fire your canon and what you hit usually died. Not so with modern BF's. There's a 50/50 change the guy shooting at you with his machine gun will survive a direct hit to the chest.

From what I've gathered the guys who worked on a lot of the old BF's aren't at Dice anymore, so that's probably one reason I'm not getting the product I would like.

12. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Well ****.

[​IMG]

13. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Here's the trailer for anybody who hasn't seen it.

Also to any mods on the thread can we change the title? Thanks in advance.

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  14. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I can't believe anyone, especially EA, actually had the audacity to do WWI.

Deliveranze and Life like this.
  15. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    On the bright side, that asinine title made this thread title great.

16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You can also practice the procedure for stepping on a mine....

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  17. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Looks cool. Zeplins. The ability to actually control Battleships. Which hasn't been possible since 1942.

Still the second I get into a tank and shoot somebody in the face with a shell and he runs off, I'm gonna be ****ing PISSED.

18. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    WWI & Battlefield.... I can't wait for this!

19. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    This looks like it is going be very, very awesome. Definitely a huge step in the right direction after Hardline.

20. Scapro Tyler

Scapro Tyler Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    Interesting decision to to not stick to 100% historical accuracy and instead take some liberties. At least from what I have read.

21. Boski

Boski Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 19, 2005

Haven't read up on it? Any examples, just curious.

22. Scapro Tyler

Oct 17, 2015
    Zeppelins being a much bigger thing than they were in the actual war.

23. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    I usually don't care for war-shooters but the prospect of playing in WWI is interesting enough to make me wanna check this out.

24. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    There absolutely has to be some level of Rule of Cool.

Despite what the press releases are saying and the game journalists who suddenly are World War I experts, saying, "You know, it's a common misconception about World War I that...", the stereotypes of World War I are fairly accurate. Yes, technology advanced at a very rapid pace around the time of The Great War, and certain things they'll have in the game did exist during the war, but they'll obviously (and rightly, if they want to make a successful game) over-focus on the more advanced, "cool" parts of the war to wow gamers. The fact of the matter is the bulk of World War I is not not conducive at all to a AAA FPS. But there is more than enough to make a very, very good game out of it that can be consumed by a very broad audience of gamers (from those who care about authenticity to those who just want to pwnz l00zers with their 1337 skillz).

I consider myself someone who straddles the line between being a huge military history buff (and thus cares a lot about authenticity) and the need for a highly entertaining game. I'm blown away by this trailer and cannot wait to see/hear more. The fact that they're even trying something like making a AAA shooter for World War I means I am going to give them a huge amount of leeway to exercise the Rule of Cool, so long as there is still enough of the game grounded in the reality of World War I to make it not feel like a Steampunk wet dream.

I'm actually really looking forward to them making wide open maps with little to no vehicles in them. I am an unabashed vehicle whore in Battlefield games, but a straight-up infantry battle on a map that isn't a close-quarters arena would be really, really nice. The Italian Alps maps would be ideal for that. But... the trailer already shows lots of aircraft, so that may be asking too much.

25. Scapro Tyler

Oct 17, 2015

Or just one tank on the map per team and both sides have fixed Arty?

The battles can be pure chaos and bloodshed. No sniper blinds except for trenches?