main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion What Was Your First Story?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by s_heffley, May 1, 2016.

1. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    I told stories long before I ever wrote them down. When I was about five years old I was doing an advice column for my Star Wars figures...talking out loud in my bedroom and whatnot. (Even then, Han and Leia were having a ton of interpersonal problems. :p).Right around the age of nine I started coming up with "concept videos" in my head for some of my favorite songs (even many of those songs already had music videos...but I had my own interpretation on a lot of things).

I started writing down stories at the age of twelve. By fourteen I had completed my first SW fanfic, a 324 page rewrite of ROTJ.

2. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    That is so unbelievably cute... ;) Edit: It also sounds like something that would've fit right into a show like Robot Chicken.

Sith-I-5 and leiamoody like this.
  3. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    leiamoody - Some of your story reminds me of what I was doing. But I was err, following my parents and my grandmother around the apartment telling them my stories. I had to walk in order to be able to be, I dunno, dramatic enough!

leiamoody likes this.
  4. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    My dad actually recorded me once during a particularly active discussion (I can't remember what I was talking about, but I was talking loud enough to be heard out in the living room. I was in my bedroom with the door closed). Unfortunately or not the recording no longer survives. (It was on reel-to-reel audio tape, which was never a particularly hardy storage format).

Sith-I-5 and Ewok Poet like this.
  5. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    At least your parents were buying whatever tech was considered cool at that moment. My dad lived under the delusion that his 1971 Canon Ftb was a cool thing in the 1990s and 2000s. :p

leiamoody likes this.
  6. inquisitorius-picnic

inquisitorius-picnic Jedi Youngling

May 4, 2016
    I used to draw comics with rabbits dressed like people, when I was in first or second grade. They made no sense, but I'm sad they got lost over the years. The first story I remember writing was when I was in fourth or fifth grade, and it was about a magical pool in some magical woods and there was probably an elf witch or something, 'cause I was probably thinking of Galadriel. I also drew fanart for LoTR, but it was before the movies were even a thought, and I had no idea that there was a thing called fanart or fanfiction.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  7. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    inquisitorius-picnic - that's awesome in a creepy, cool way. :) And welcome! How cool that you registered on May the fourth.

8. inquisitorius-picnic

May 4, 2016
    Haha, yeah. I did, didn't I?

I wrote a lot of very weird things when I was a kid. It's a little embarrassing to think about them, though I continue to write stuff that can be weird, so I guess it's just me. I always felt like I was terrible at writing, but I just couldn't stop myself from needing to tell stories.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  9. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I can assure you that you're not weird. Go to the previous page and look at my long post.

Also, show us what you're writing! :)

inquisitorius-picnic likes this.
  10. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    It has been my experience thus far that it is much much better to be a person who has stories that they want to tell now, even if they are not the best at writing just yet, than it is to be a natural-born writer with few or no stories to tell. :) It is far easier to improve one's writing skills than it is to find stories.

divapilot, mavjade and Sith-I-5 like this.
  11. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Hmmmm. I was always making up stories in my head as a kid (I had problems falling asleep and it was a way to entertain myself that has now lasted nearly 2 decades). I remember making up stories about Mulan.

But I think the first story I actually put to paper was in grade 4 (so I was 9) about a princess named Sabrina that ran away with her pet Loch Ness Monster. It is probably one of my few projects from elementary school still in existence somewhere.

I was a huge RP-er in my earlier teens, but my first fanfic was me killing off Ahsoka after seeing TCW movie when I was 15(?). Many of my early fanfics were purged, but that one still lives.

12. inquisitorius-picnic

May 4, 2016
    Oh, I definitely make stories up to help me fall asleep, too! Sometimes it backfires, though.

I think your story about Sabrina and Nessie sounds adorable. It makes me want to read it in the form of an illustrated book.

It's mostly original stuff, which I'm working on making into comics. Is there even a place for that, here, or is it fanfic and fanart only?

13. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Unfortunately, no. We've thought about allowing original stuff, but it just comes with headaches if(/when) people try to publish stuff that has already been posted online (and then people would constantly be asking us to take their work down). However, if you posted it in your own blog or something, then linked it in your signature, that would be fine.

inquisitorius-picnic likes this.
  14. Darth Kronos

Darth Kronos Force Ghost star 6

Jan 2, 2016
    A story that is basically a cross between Percy Jackson and Lord of the Rings.

The main character is a demigod who has to go to what was called "The Abyss" to destroy some artifact before it did... something. Hey, I was 12... or 11... or maybe 13 I don't know.

It's just over 100 pages long, and I still have it in my possession.

(I even wrote a sequel, which might be... 200 pages... I'm to lazy to check. :p)

s_heffley likes this.
  15. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Your first story was over a hundred pages long?!

s_heffley likes this.
  16. s_heffley

s_heffley Chosen One star 7

Jun 7, 2015
    My first was like 7 pages, and back then I didn't realize books didn't need to have pictures.

17. Darth Kronos

Jan 2, 2016

Yes, it was.

18. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Your first try was 20 pages more than my longest ever fic.

If length mattered to me, apart from, you know, how long my Immobiliser 418 cruiser is, that would be depressing.

19. Darth Kronos

Jan 2, 2016

I guess I had a lot to say. :p

I rather enjoyed writing those stories, but, for some reason, I quit doing it.

20. skygawker

skygawker Jedi Knight star 3

May 25, 2014
    I vaguely remember writing what I'm sure was some truly terrible Harry Potter fic in elementary or middle school. Thankfully, none of it ever saw the light of the Internet.

21. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Mine was an Ahsoka Death story. Wrote the first draft on paper before transferring it to FanFiction.net. Ahsoka is able to evade Order 66, and flees to Kashyyyk, where she's living with Chewbacca's family. When the Empire comes to Kashyyyk to place it under Imperial rule, Vader finds Ahsoka, and she dies in a duel with him.

In all reality, it was incredibly bad compared to my writing back now, and it was only five years ago!

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  22. inquisitorius-picnic

May 4, 2016
    That's what I thought. I'll post fanart/comics when I draw them, but I'm really not a prose person.

I do love all these stories of people's first writings.

23. Annia Piet

Annia Piet Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    Just felt the need to share this - whilst sorting through some old paperwork yesterday, I found an ancient floppy disk marked 'fanfic'. I contains my first ever attempts at fanfic from way back in 1998!

Of course I now have no way to read the darned thing. Which honestly may be for the best! ;)

s_heffley likes this.
  24. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    I don't remember titles or plots, but I remember writing short stories in school when I was a kid. They usually involved characters based on myself and my siblings.

s_heffley likes this.
  25. Thorn058

Thorn058 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2008
    I can remember having lots of stories when I was in elementary school but nothing that sticks out or that I can remember writing down(long before word processors and before home computers really took off) I think my first really complete story that had and begining, middle and climax was when I was a Junior in high school and I was in a fantasy literature class. We had just finished reading Watership Down and were tasked with writing our own allegory. I was very big into comic books and fantasy novels at the time(still to this day) and so my story was inspired by The Secret of Nimh and was about a colony of mice and rats living in the forest with ideas cleaned from comic books about high lords, ones from Highlander, a Japenese martial arts comic that had a Fallen Angel in Hell named Joshua who was fighting his way back out with the help of his ninja friends and master in a metal samurai suit. Your basic tale of the light overcoming the darkness and the endless circle of life completing itself. It was all very grand in my head but the completed work was less than stellar. I think I got an A just because it was so long and was complete. Unlike most of my stuff these days that seems to be just gathering cyberdust on hard drives. Seriously haven't done any fanfic in like five years and got a story for the wife that she has been waiting for the end of for four years. I really need to buckle down lol