main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Lightsaber Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DarthCeltic, Apr 5, 2016.

?

Favorite Lightsaber?

1. Anakin's Blue

31 vote(s)
    29.5%
  2. Luke's Green

31 vote(s)
    29.5%
  3. Kylo's Red

17 vote(s)
    16.2%
  4. Ben's Blue

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Leia's Blue

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  6. Rey's Yellow

18 vote(s)
    17.1%
  7. Dark Rey's Red

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Well, the artifacts serve as callbacks for the OT, but in-story, I don't think it would be difficult for a determined Force user to locate Vader's funeral pyre, especially if Luke told Kylo about it.

2. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014

Also, MSW reported that concept art of the villains retrieving Vader's helmet from Endor had been produced, so it seems that they did explore this part of the backstory.

• Endor – Again, very early on, there were several sketches titled ‘after party’ which was a bit of an in-joke. These showed a second battle of Endor. The story being that after the rebels left Endor, Imperial forces and these new villains attacked. They killed many Ewoks and more importantly left with the remains of Darth Vader. Now, where I was working at the time, there was a lot going on and some of it wasn’t necessarily related to Episode VII but other Star Wars projects that will fill in the gaps between Episode VI and VII . I don’t think these scenes will appear in the movie but rather something set between movies.
    • http://makingstarwars.net/2014/08/s...oks-dooku-connection-leia-hutts-lucas-vision/

oncafar and Thorin Oakenshield like this.
  3. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Whether or not we see the story in the films, or in ancillary material, is the real question. More force visions? Expository dialogue? A book/comic?

Thorin Oakenshield likes this.
  4. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
  5. Thorin Oakenshield

Thorin Oakenshield Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 9, 2016
    My guess is the force bond between Rey and Ben will result in some kind of flashback. Like her reading his thoughts and memories. We shall follow her as she see's the things he has done.

I imagine her asleep having a nightmare. She feels Kylo's pain. She see's the things he has done. And the things he wants to do.

Darth Dementor likes this.
  6. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    About Kylo seemingly stepping towards, and acknowledging Rey during the flashback....

In the more detailed MSW and MF.com breakdowns, Kylo has hold of the Skywalker saber at some point in this scene, so it could be that he does see a vision of Future Rey here. The two of them connected at that point by the saber.

oncafar and Darth Dementor like this.
  7. Lobot_the_Jedi

Lobot_the_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 1

Nov 30, 2002
    This has largely become my opinion as well. When I first saw TFA the story of Luke's saber was one of the biggest questions I wanted answered. As time goes on, maybe because I've seen and read so much about it, it's become much less important. Apparently there is a story there as Maze states but, it's really not that important how she came to acquire it. The fact is it's back, and it's in play. I'm starting to think we may never hear the story "for another time" and honestly it doesn't really matter much to me anymore.

Sarge likes this.
  8. RobbyV

RobbyV Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    The Visual Dictionary says "someone salvaged it from [Cloud City's] industrial depths."

oncafar and Lobot_the_Jedi like this.
  9. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    To me, it signifies that Rey is definitely a Skywalker. Why else scrounge up something from the OT if it didn't mean something? They could have just said it was some long dead Jedi's from the Clone Wars if it wasn't that important. They didn't need to come up with some bull**** story just so they can use Anakin's and Luke's lightsaber again.

10. WookieeRage

WookieeRage Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2016
    It feels more important to me because it IS the lightsaber that Luke and Anakin both used. Even if she isn't a Skywalker (I do want her to be one badly) It's almost like we're seeing an old character from the other movies.

Avalanche19 likes this.
  11. beetzello

beetzello Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 17, 2002
    That video made me think of TFA differently. I always thought the purpose of the lightsaber that Rey takes to Luke was to signify that Rey is a Skywalker.

But now, I don't think that matters anymore. That lightsaber sure has had a dark journey, engaged in some dark deeds. What matters to me now is how the New Jedi move forward. Will it mean a retread of the old Jedi Council ways? What would the reasons be for Luke to go that route? Or, what are the reasons for him to go forward along a different path? Do the force ghosts weigh in? Does Luke listen to the force ghosts? Does Luke listen to only one of the force ghosts? Is there a force ghost rift?

Obviously there are no answers to these questions. My point is that those uncertainties are now foremost on my mind when contemplating the mysteries and throw-away lines and details presented in TFA. That video did that to me, and I am happy!

12. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    The term red herring ring a bell?

13. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Yes, and in this case it would be stupid if it is.

14. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Ehh depends on how its played. It makes sense to have her be a skywalker but at the same time I feel like its so telegraphed that they should have just told us already. if they want a mystery dont make it so freaking obvious which makes me think that they are gonna have reydom make so much sense and blow our minds or it will be crap. Only time will tell.

15. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Lightsabers seem to ebb and flow in their rarity, and they are not all the same. A young lightsaber is only mildly valuable. An old one has touched the hands of ancient masters.

I think they are slightly sentient, embued with The Force, and so have a memory of their past. With a Force sensitive person can pick up on... which is why it matters to Kylo, and why Rey got a shock of images from it.

16. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Vader's light saber was blown up along with Death Star 2. It fell down the same chasm that the Emperor was tossed into. I doubt it will have survived the explosion.

17. thatpatguy

thatpatguy Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 26, 2015
    Except there's that scene in Aftermath... unless that's been expanded on and I missed it.

oncafar likes this.
  18. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    Except there's that scene in Aftermath... unless that's been expanded on and I missed it.[/quote]

Yes the 3 female Acolytes purchase Vader's saber from a merchant.

The leader said it was to "return it to him in the afterlife" or something to that effect.

oncafar likes this.
  19. SaintKenobi1322

SaintKenobi1322 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 17, 2013

It isn't that people aren't asking about the saber; it's just that there is no answer anymore and it isn't as important as it was to have been. The role of the saber changed during shooting.

IMO, the lightsaber was originally to have provided a clue about Luke's location. At some point, that changed to a thumb drive with a map, making BB-8 the source of the quest for Kylo Ren rather than the saber. That's why the scene with Maz handing the saber to Leia was cut. That's why all the planned flashback revolving around the saber was cut down to Maz saying 'another story for another time.'

My guess is, the history of the saber won't be discussed on-screen. Very possible we could get a backstory in a novel or comic, but the role of the saber was reduced to the point of being a curiosity for us die-hards, and it is no longer important for the greater audience, as the saber is no longer the key to finding Luke Skywalker.

At most, when the film picks up with Rey and Luke, he may say something like 'Where did you get that?' to which Rey might reply 'Maz' to which Luke might smile and say 'Of course' giving Maz an even more interesting history. They could easily move on from there and never mention it again.

TooMuchBBQ and Sarge like this.
  20. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    My guess is that Luke may have a line similar to Obi-wan's line when he hears Luke say his name in ANH.

Obi-wan, now there's a name I have not heard in a very long time.

Luke may say something like:

Now here's something I have not seen in a very long time....

Darth Dementor, Sarge and Jcuk like this.
  21. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    there's no proof it was vader's saber though.

Wildcatbarry and oncafar like this.
  22. WookieeRage

Feb 3, 2016
    I think it was said in that novel that it may or may not have been.

oncafar likes this.
  23. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    it wasn't.

[​IMG]

oncafar likes this.
  24. WookieeRage

Feb 3, 2016
    I can't upload photo's right now (crappy work intranet), but I would put a picture of Luke's hand being cut off to make a counter to that picture.[face_thinking] Regardless, I'm not even arguing the fact that it is or isn't, just saying those acolytes could have been seeking a rip-off Vader saber. Then again, where did the rip off come from?

25. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    firstly, luke's saber didn't fall down a reactor shaft, in a station that exploded... in space. also there are lightsabers around in the galaxy just not a lot.