main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Question r.e. double posts

Discussion in 'Communications' started by WebLurker, May 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    I recently recalled something I'd wanted to post on a thread, but discovered that I was the last person to post on it. As of right now, it's been inactive for awhile.

I know that the forum frowns on double posts, but is that a problem here? I don't want to cause trouble, but it kind of seems like in this case that reasons the rule exists (to keep one person from dominating the conversation) seem a bit off. Right now there is no conversation, thus no one is dominating or hogging anything.

What's forum policy on stuff like this?

2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Generally, we don't want multiple posts in a row; we encourage people to use the edit function to add to their posts if they think of something else they want to say. You can also quote multiple other posts in one post and reply to them all at once. So if you're within the time window for being able to edit your last post to add to it, we'd like you to do that.

But the example you gave makes it sound like the edit window had already expired, and in that case it's totally fine for you to just post again in the thread. You don't need to keep waiting for someone else to post there in order for you to post again. However, the new posts should have a point of their own... not just be posts that say "bump" or something to that effect.

3. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

Okay, thanks for the info.

For future reference, what does "bump" mean?

4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It's a contentless post that ups a thread without accomplishing anything else, so named because it bumps the thread's position up. Frequently they consist of... well, "Bump."

Anyway, this looks asked and answered.

EHT likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.