main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Star Wars Planets

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Moon Labutto, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I did raise my eyebrow at the original post, now it makes more sense. :)

Also, this is tempting: Leia cannot be a shy lesbian, Vader cannot have a flower garden, Luke cannot be a drunken miscreant who deserts the rebellion and sets up his own circus.

leiamoody likes this.
  2. Moon Labutto

Moon Labutto Jedi Knight

Mar 29, 2016
    Honestly, that is what I thought that you meant. [face_peace] I was poking to see if I misunderstood what you were saying. [face_relieved]

3. Moon Labutto

Moon Labutto Jedi Knight

Mar 29, 2016

I have no idea what I'm doing...kind of like when I'm on the dance floor! [face_dancing]

4. Moon Labutto

Moon Labutto Jedi Knight

Mar 29, 2016

I think the Leia idea is a little less tempting with this new trilogy they are starting.

5. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Screw rules. What is common sense? Pssh... normal. I'm the person who wrote a story where a teenage girl is obsessed with Nute Gunray. :p

leiamoody and Sith-I-5 like this.
  6. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Has anyone thought about a civil engineering project / experiment on Jakku, to network the power cores of all those crashed capital ships into a planetary shield, which for some reason fails, and instead, they are able to protect the world from the harmful effects of the sun.

And as a side effect, we have an explanation as to why life-long (possibly) desert dweller, Rey, does not have a tan.

leiamoody and Gamiel like this.
  7. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Why do you think the Sand People are perpetually swaddled in thick garments (hint: it's for the same reason why Bedouins and other desert nomads of Earth dress that way)? The sun ain't healthy for humanoid skin, and I'm guessing Rey isn't a native Jakkunian... ;)

8. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    But Rey has plenty of exposed skin in broad daylight. Tuskens and Jawas do not.

9. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Perhaps I misremember her "intro scene," then; I could've sworn she was working while fully-covered. If this is the case and she was foolishly hanging out in the desert in such a state, then that's even more negative press for the film, which it really could've done without... :p

10. Lazy K

Lazy K Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    I seem to remember Luke not wearing proper desert gear in ANH. So how come he doesn't have a tan? Could it be that GFFA humans have evolved a way to protect themselves from ultraviolet rays, thus rendering the need for extra melanin moot? Could it be that GFFA technology has created a sort of uber-ozone layer for desert planets? Could it be that I am trying too hard to force sense upon what is, ultimately, a space fantasy series? :p

jcgoble3 likes this.
  11. Moon Labutto

Moon Labutto Jedi Knight

Mar 29, 2016
    if we didn't do that, then what would we have to harp on that brings us new ideas? I hope they reboot the Force Awakens...I really do...The Easter Eggs were fun.

12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    My theory is that she is part TCW dathomirian and that is her version of a sun tan.

13. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    There's a crack!fic that begs to be written here.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  14. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    In her first scene, yes, she was fully covered while rappelling around inside the huge starship. However, after that, she was shown returning to Niima Outpost, walking around there and her "home", etc. with exposed skin, including her face. I assume the full covering inside the starship was more for protection from dust and other potential hazards that come with navigating through the ruins of a starship that crashed 29 years ago.

Perhaps Jakku's sun simply doesn't produce UV rays? Could it be as simple as that?

15. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    It could be as simple as that, yes. But my original point, which got derailed by the Rey aside, is that since the ion cannon on Hoth was powered by the reactor from a crashed Procurator-class battlecruiser(?), with all the crashed ships around Jakku, there is a potential civil engineering project right there.

16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    A world of real blue cheese would be a bit hard to explain. Would a blue, cheese like substance be acceptable?

17. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008

Wasn't that what the Ithorians were doing on Telos in KOTOR II?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  18. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Not quite, but I can see how that'd be easy to mix up... ;)

Nah, Telos was a garden world that the Sith had pulverized into near-sterility—essentially conducting an early, less-powerful and -thorough version of Base Delta Zero—which necessitated a huge effort by the Republic to try and evacuate as many people and casualties as possible before the GFFA equivalent of a nuclear winter killed everyone. The point was to try and restore a once-vibrant ecology that had been nearly completely erased. Jakku, on the other hand, just looks like a desert world over which a really big fleet battle took place. The only thing I can't understand is how so many Star Destroyers landed on the surface in such a relatively intact state; the laws of physics as we know them, and even those shown in the movies, would seem to indicate that there would've been some epic crack-ups on impact at the very least.

19. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001

uh, i should mention that if you would like to use a blue, cheese-like substance, i personally have no concerns about that. It really is up to you and your imagination. My own suggestion was somewhat based on Stephen Hawking, I think in his book "The Grand Design" in which Hawking speculates on an universe where the laws of physics are such that the moon is made out of Roquefort cheese .

But it really doesn't matter. I've been thinking that these orbiting cows would pilot a flying toaster starship, similar to the flying toasters in the "After Dark" screensavers.

Gamiel likes this.
  20. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Nothing wrong with a blue cheese planet. I treat it like a crossover; you create the scenario, then write how your characters react.

I would be more concerned as to how anybody identified what it was made off; after all, who would design a scanner that could detect that?

Half tempted to suggest it as a challenge.

21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I have an idea of a blue cheese planet (even if it would be a blue cheese like substance and not real blue cheese) but the orbiting cows would be harder to justify.

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Just wondering, what kind of planet type/environment would people like to see used more in SW?

23. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Pre- and post-garden worlds, to be honest, as well as those that are habitable but miss the sweet spot.

So many planets in the GFFA seem to be Goldilocks worlds, in that they are somehow "just right" for habitation by most sentient species, that you'd expect to find a fair number of planets and moons either in a state of ecological meltdown as the star system's life cycle winds to a close, or very young worlds with the potential to become life-bearing, but aren't quite there yet (think of Earth in the Precambrian). These would be in addition to worlds that have some sort of oddity to them that would make "normal" colonization difficult, for various reasons and to varying degrees to the point that few but the most hardy or desperate would seek to put down roots.

Yes, technically Tatooine and Jakku are in the latter camp, but in the old EU Tatooine was established as having once been quite fruitful, and that it was the natives themselves who laid waste to the planet to rid themselves of the Rakata.

Gamiel likes this.
  24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Eh, what do you mean with garden worlds?
    It could be that most worlds that are like that are the once that are not colonised or abounded. [face_dunno]

25. Lazy K

Lazy K Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    Er . . . wildly improbable ones that keep me awake at night trying to figure out just how in the GFFA such a place could be (I'm still having tons of fun with the world of blue cheese). :D

To be honest, I usually don't pay attention to the setting unless it's used to move the plot along.

leiamoody likes this.