main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion How open ended should the ending of Ep. IX be?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Wrenegade, May 9, 2016.

1. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001

You are basing your argument on something that irrelevant. George Lucas had a 12 episode outline at one point, if you want to get into specifics. Then after ROTJ, he basically said "there's no story after ROTJ". He changed his mind, but newsflash: He's not making Star War movies anymore.

If Episode VIII has the same box office success and acclaim that VII did, you'll get X-XII. You really think Rey, Kylo Ren and Finn are going away after the 9th movie?

Force Smuggler likes this.
  2. Negotiator1138

Negotiator1138 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 23, 2016
    Yes, I do think Rey, Kylo Ren, and Finn are going away after the 9th movie. I think it's the last trilogy that was intended.

I understand that GL's plans for Star Wars were always a fluid concept, but I really doubt there will be an episode ten. I think 9 will be a final end to this particular saga.

3. JediLight

May 31, 2001
    There's billions of reasons why you are wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Negotiator1138

Mar 23, 2016
    Hey come on man, this is an opinion thread. This is nothing to argue about. I may end up being wrong, and that is okay, because no one really knows whether or not there will be more trilogies.

JediLight likes this.
  5. JediLight

May 31, 2001

It's definitely my opinion that the saga won't close with episode 9. I mean, I get what you are at: The sagas are about the Skywalkers and from what we know there is only one left (besides the legacy characters). But I don't see them wrapping up these new and exciting characters (Rey, Finn, Kylo Ren, Poe) after two more movies. If they start dying off, maybe I'll come around to your thinking.

Kenobi1138 likes this.
  6. Negotiator1138

Mar 23, 2016
    That would be so bold if even just one of those characters was killed off. I don't know about a trilogy, but I would really love a duology about Skywalker training the new jedi and the rise of the Knights of Ren. That story would be really good I think.

JediLight likes this.
  7. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    I hope that they end the Skywalker Saga with IX. I'm all for sequels (I'd watch Rey's Jedi Academy Episodes 1-whatever), spin offs, etc but let the numbered Skywalker centred episodes end with this trilogy.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  8. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I sure hope the Skywalker saga ends with Episode IX. A third trilogy is unnecessary to begin with, but a fourth would really be stretching it. The Star Wars Saga was always about Anakin/Vader and VI was the perfect ending. I'd love to see new SW movies, I just want new characters and new stories.

9. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    I forget which ones, but I remember seeing rumors about all the spinoff ideas directors were pitching - one director wanted to do the Seven Samurai with Jedi, another wanted to do The Magnificent Seven with bounty hunters (don't know why we're stuck on sevens,) and that's the kind of thing I'd like to see. By all means, give us multi-movie arcs, just do it for another time and group of people. Old Republic could be cool, centuries in the future, just give us closure.

As far as the open ending, if they must continue it, I like the PotC idea. I mean, I know we're getting Pirates 5, and I'm excited for it, but if they canceled it, it wouldn't be like the story isn't complete. I want that feeling with this new generation of Star Wars.

10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    What if they did The Magnificent 7 in space, and got John-Boy Walton to star in it? Wouldn't that be awesome?

Kenneth Morgan and The Vanguard like this.
  11. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    About as open-ended as IV's ending.

12. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    My old theory said somewhere else...
    The First Order makes StarKiller 2.
    The Rebellion makes a Death Star from plans inside Artoo.
    They both go on a rampage of zapping each others planets, sending the entire galaxy into chaos.

The only survivor of all this is Artoo, left floating in space for a hundred years, his battery eventually powering down.

Until a ship picks him up, the story completely reset for the new saga. On the ship is a plucky little kid with unusual powers...

13. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    I'll give you 6 to 7 billion reasons why we'll get 10, 11 & 12.

"Green" reasons.

The Vanguard likes this.
  14. The Vanguard

The Vanguard Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2016
    Green reasons that rhyme with FUNNY

15. srg

srg Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 26, 2016
    I have no doubt another trilogy will happen. Come on, Disney didn't revive the franchise to end its main line after IX. I imagine spin-offs and other canon stuff will always revolve around Saga films, so when Ep. I - IX timeline becomes packed, they will have to expand further. And I bet they won't even wait until it's packed. I'd say we'll hear about Episode X by 2024 (gosh, this number looks like some crazy future, I'll be old then, lol). Even such detail as the fact that spin-offs may have no opening crawl makes me think they want to keep it specific to Saga films, because they plan to do much more.

As for this trilogy, I believe it should have a definite ending in the sense that there will be no urgency to continue this particular storyline. A big no to cliffhanger in IX from me, but all the new main characters will return in the next trilogy for sure. Well... Those who survive. I think Rey is a given.

16. E 50

E 50 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 15, 2016
    I would like it if we get some closure and worldbuilding at the end of this trilogy. If they make another one, it could take place much further in the future. Maybe after 100 years of New Republic rule and then a new threat arises.

I think the wuestion comes down to what do people really want from the Star Wars universe? The current films seem to be a return to what we had in the original trilogy. People liked rebels vs empire so we are seeing it again. Do we want to see more Sith, more Empire wannabes, or something else entirely? I think one of the advantages Star Trek had was that it had much left unexplored so that the franchise could always continue with something. The Borg and Dominion were more interesting than old adversaries, but those old adversaries were still relevant because the galaxy was set up more like nation states and not as a unifying entity. I think some more setup for an expanded galaxy is in order for Star Wars. We already have the divide between lawless regions and the ones both major factions covet. There is more that can be done than to create more of the same in environment themed worlds. There are no sovereign enclaves of significance and astrological phenomena doesn't play much of a role in anything. Basically I think Star Wars needs to break out of its shell if they are going to truly have new ideas.

17. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Conclusive enough to leave us satisfied, but open enough for there to be future stories in the Star Wars Galaxy (not necessarily films). A cop out and simple answer, I know. Still, it's all I have got.

18. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001

I would agree with the variety of adversaries in Star Trek. It was originally the Klingons in the original series, then it changed to the Borg, Dominion and the Xindi . Moreover, there were adversaries within the Federation at times, in Star Trek VI, in Star Trek: Into Darkness, and in DS9 with Section 31.

19. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I hope there is a lil cliffhanger so the new trilogy won't be like a whole new beginning.
    I hope we get 1 more trilogy, and I don't want it to be a beginning,
    middle, and an end type of trilogy. IMO it should kinda continue the story of who evers left at the end of IX(Rey, Kylo) couple yrs after, and
    introduce couple more new ones. I just don't want X to start off with a main character on a sand planet learning about the force.

20. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    If it doesn't end with Poe Dameron smashing his head against a mirror and repeating "How's Annie?" over and over, like David Lynch wanted to conclude episode VI, then I'll be very disappointed.

21. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    Personally, I'd like to see this be the last trilogy. But instead of Episode IX being the end of it all, make an episode X. One final sum it all up, close all the loose ends episode. I like the spinoff idea. I would like to see character arcs for future movies as opposed to all encompassing episodes. The Skywalker story should have run it's course by the end of this trilogy. We saw the emergence of the chosen one. We saw the redemption of the chosen one, and the emergence of his son as the new hope for the galaxy and the Jedi. But now, I believe it's time to wind down the story. Wrap it all up in the sequel trilogy and close it out with one final episode X.

22. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Finish this trilogy conclusively. Don't make it the absolute end of the story, but give us a satisfying finish. Don't string us along with endless cliffhangers. When you do that, no matter how good the movies are, the audience will eventually give a collective, Servoian...

Darth Basin and TheOneX_Eleazar like this.
  23. Conkhead_12

Conkhead_12 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 28, 2016
    I think Episode IX's ending, will be open enough to make Episode X (If they're gonna make one), but will answer most questions we have for the sequels.

Personally, I wish SW would stop at VI then make money with Anthologies like Rogue One or something. But the saga's ending was already good at RoTJ.
    However as VII has been made, I just wish it to end at IX. I don't really wanna see SW with no characters from the OT.

Unless they have an awesome, cool idea with incredible twists

Darth Basin and TheOneX_Eleazar like this.
  24. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    From a simple business standpoint it would be incredibly naïve to think that Disney bought Star Wars simply to do one last three-and-out trilogy, a few spinoffs, an animated series, and be done with it. Absolutely not. There is way too much money to be made for them to just stop because a small core group of fans thinks they should wrap it up.

I imagine none of us will live to see the day that Star Wars productions have completely come to a close.

Personally, I'm all for it. Sure, some will be better than others, but they don't all have to be cinematic milestones. Just look at all the superhero movies that have flopped over the years, it happens, we move on, and eventually they get it right on a few. Why can't the same happen with Star Wars? I'd also wager that 20-30 years from now an entire reboot of the saga will happen in the same manner that is happening with Star Trek right now. And as much as everyone here wants to moan and gripe about it, you will all watch it along with everyone else.

As far as the ST goes, I don't think 30 years will take place between this and the next trilogy. I think the ST will end by establishing Rey, Finn, and Poe as being the heart of the Resistance and going forth to continue their fight against the First Order in whatever capacity they are in by Episode 9.

Conkhead_12 likes this.
  25. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    I think when people say they hope Episode IX closes the story it isn't for the end of all Star Wars. I think most of us, if not all, want it to just be the end of the main Skywalker saga. I still want them to continue making films, even about the Skywalkers, just that this specific story arc is over, and we can move onto new and interesting stories that aren't necessarily directly related.

MotivateR5D4, Sarge and TCF-1138 like this.