main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Star Wars Planets

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Moon Labutto, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Gamiel A garden world is any world that supports life. I figured that the definition was implied in the following paragraph.

2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Well, I missed that. Were do that term come from? Personally I use the term 'living planet/world' for a world that supports life.

3. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I think this is down to situational timing.

The Rebel Alliance were central to the Original Trilogy, and were making bases on out-of-the-way places to avoid Imperial detection; so as the central protagonists, stories of that era featured Hoth, Mimban, and so on; whilst EU beyond ROTJ, and the Prequels, the film and book protagonists were related to the prevailing authorities, so more hospitable planets were generally featured. I will readily admit that there were exceptions to the rule though.

Goodwood likes this.
  4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do we know of any night worlds in SW?

With 'nigh world' means a planet that receive very little to no light (of the wave length humans can perceive) but are still living worlds.

5. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    I seem to recall a battle with the Yuuzhan Vong taking place on a rogue planet (no, not the book), involving the Imperial Remnant. There was a species of semi-sentient cloud-like beings that lived there, who ended up contributing somewhat to the battle's outcome, but their diet was scant and due to the fact that there was little to no light energy hitting their planet, they were eventually going to go extinct. I think it was in Force Heretic I: Remnant, which established these details.

Other than that, having a sun is—as far as we know—a prerequisite for any planet to give rise to native forms, so any such planets you might wish to include would by necessity have to be populated by offworlders. Something like a particularly large asteroid, or as mentioned above, a planet that has somehow broken away from its stellar system for whatever reason. About the closest thing I can think of in canon that meets your requirements, besides the above, is Kessel.

Gamiel likes this.
  6. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Gamiel Umbara is a night world - as seen in the CW animation.

leiamoody and Gamiel like this.
  7. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Do you need the entire planet to be night?

Ryloth is half-and-half, with one complete night side and a scorching other half.

Dagobah is fairly dark, even during the day. I did not get the impression that the crystal planet that featured in Revenge of the Sith had much daylight.

If you don't mind creating your own world, the Empire, in West End Games' Imperial Sourcebook, had a superweapon that could plunge your planet into darkness.

Doh! :oops: Byss!

Findswoman and Gamiel like this.
  8. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Half of Roon is always under the dark.

leiamoody, Findswoman and Gamiel like this.
  9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    From a human perspective Af'El would probably count as a night world.
    Is Byss really a night world? I just thought it, like Gotham, was only shown at night time.
    Do you remember the name of the planet and/or how long it would take for the life on the planet to die out because of the lack of light?

Don't underestimate live, here on Earth there are specie who live deep in the lightless ocean beside the volcanic vents and in sealed of caves. And SW is space opera so we don't need for it to fully follow the laws that govern our planets life.

A planet that is really a moon of a gigantic planet could get energy from the vulcanism caused by tidal forces instead of the sun and life could have evolved living of that heat.

Below is an post about night worlds in Warhammer 40k from another forum (what are the roles for linking to other forums now a-days?) that I thought was interesting
    Other ideas could be planets who's star, like Af'El's to my understanding, don't radiate light in wavelengths visible to the human eye, or only do it in a small amount; and a planet that is just so far away from its sun that its day time is comparable to our twilight; a planet that is completely shrouded by clouds/similar so very little sunlight come down but a greenhouse effect is in full swing.

Do people have any more ideas?

leiamoody likes this.
  10. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Gamiel

I think Byss, especially after the Emperor had his wicked way with it, is the lots of cloud cover not letting light through, variety.

11. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Gamiel While all that is true, these so-called "night worlds" will only ever develop those relatively quite simple life-forms; they could never produce anything as sophisticated as to develop intelligence or self-awareness. Even the various species of cave creatures that exist only in darkness have evolutionary ancestors, those that might have initially sought refuge from predators in caves on or near the surface and then over time adapted to better fit their environment.

12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    You are thinking real life here, think Space Opera

:p

If the plot would be cooler by having our heroes being hunted by hound sized beast on a world of only night and twilight the planet most likely have them.

13. Lazy K

Lazy K Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    If we don't have to stick to SW canon, how about . . .

1a. A planetoid light years away from any star. Its ecology is based on "radiosynthesis" (like photosynthesis, but using radiation instead of light), getting its energy from radioactive compounds in its crust.

1b. Since this is SW, let's go wild with thaumasynthesis and get energy directly from the Force! :D

2. A planet far from its sun that is kept in a state of permanent eclipse by a planetoid whose size and orbit has been very precisely manipulated.

3. A planet completely enveloped by layers upon layers of airborne photosynthesising microbes which block out the sun but provide energy to the rest of the ecosystem by being eaten by the layer below it - and so on.

4. A subterranean world, essentially a giant cave with geothermal heat.

5. A planet in orbit around a sun outside its Dyson sphere (although you'd have to call it something else because, y'know, earthisms) whose energy is microwaved from the sphere's surface.

6. A planet completely covered by a deep ocean where the intelligent life has adapted to the bottom of the sea.

7a. A planet with a parasite that gets in your eye and reduces the amount of light you can see.

7b. A planet with photovores (i.e., light-eaters) in the upper atmosphere.

Basically, you only need two things:

- a reason why there isn't much light
    - a source of energy, natural or otherwise

Also, you don't need for life to have evolved there, or in those conditions. After all, life on Earth didn't originate in an oxygen-rich environment like we have today.

Findswoman , Chyntuck, Gamiel and 2 others like this.
  14. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Lazy, your worldbuilding is magnificent!

15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    In the Swedish RPG Skymningshem the game world, Fo'ur is eternally shrouded in twilight. Fo'ur is a moon to a gas giant, circulating a dwarf star, the moon is actually outside the star systems biozone but is given a agreeable temperature thanks to a combination of the tidal forces created between the moon and the gas giant and the electromagnetic radiation and magnetic force fields that radiates from the gas giant. The tide moves the ocean which create heat and some volcanic activity. The radiation are caught by the moons magnetic field and are drawn to the poles. This leads to that Fo'ur poles are the worlds tropical zones and it have an arctic belt around the equator. With the sun so far away it can only provide a twilight glow when it is visible, most of Fo'ur light actually come from the eternal aurora borealis effect.

Wolframfästet (another Swedish RPG) take place on Earth so far in to the future that our dying star are have stopped emitting light but it is still radiating heat, life exist mostly as simple plants and pound scum like things that are substance for a wildlife that have evolved from humans. Civilization (or rather civilizations) exist inside gigantic arcologies and most people never venture outside.

Among SE planets do I think Barab 1 could also be counted as a night world since life only come out at night.

16. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Actually it was Force Heretic III: Reunion. The planet's name was Esfandia. Unfortunately, there's not much on Wookieepedia: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Esfandia

Gamiel and Goodwood like this.
  17. Iix_Hunter

Iix_Hunter Jedi Padawan

Jul 28, 2015
    Gamiel one idea i'm writing up at the moment is a rogue planet that's been diverted into a wide orbit around an existing solar system by the inhabitants who were afraid of it hitting their world or disrupting the balance of their system and since then they have started using it as a mining base and now a group of slavers have started in on it. I've called it Carros, you're welcome to use it if you like though i haven't decided what solar system it would orbit around yet.

Gamiel and Sith-I-5 like this.
  18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Thanks Iix_Hunter :)

Do you know about the fanon thread*? If you want to share Carros with outer so can post what you have come up about it there.

* http://boards.theforce.net/threads/the-fanon-thread-fanon-quote-challenge-announced-6-5.50024318/

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Any suggestions on an already existing planet that don't have to much description and could work as a whiphid colony world?
    What about a planet that is, instead of oceans, to 90% covered in a blue cheese-like substance that is eatable and slowly absorb any organic material left on it. The planet is colonised by the minotaur-like tauron.

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Is there any just-a-name-and-maybe-something-more that would work as an early arkanian colony worlds?

21. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Gamiel - If there is not, you could make one up, and call it New Arkania.

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    By the look of it, that's will be what I have to do, even if I will call it something else then New Arkania ;)

23. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    In your position, given the Arkanian's interference in the Yaka, I would put a colony on their homeworld.

Gamiel likes this.
  24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What kind of environments or environmental variations would people like to see more of among SW planets?

I am asking this mostly as an inspiration question for myself since I am planning to have my characters moving between some worlds that have little-to-non description and want suggestions how to describe those worlds.