main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Would you wanna see a trilogy based off the Yuuzhan Vong storyline from the books?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by CrAsHcHaOs, Apr 13, 2016.

1. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I guess what I like more is what kind of magnitude of a threat to the galaxy as a whole the Yuuzhan Vong represents, and how the Galaxy deals with it, rather than the details of the race itself. I suppose such a threat is interchangeable-it could be any other kind of race or entity...

2. Rogue Eclipse

Rogue Eclipse Jedi Youngling

Jul 3, 2016
    No, no, no, no, no! I don't have anything against the Vong, I just don't think that it will turn out well. The Vong should stay home in there own completely seperate and quarantined section of Star Wars that is the EU. Let the new films make new stories and go off in different directions.

3. xezene

xezene Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Yes. It's crazy how many people seem to miss the point of NJO. My only conclusion is that they did not read it, and are commenting about it without having read it. The Yuuzhan Vong themselves were not the focus or the point; the point was they represented a colossal challenge to the Jedi faith, the Jedi belief system, and what it means to be a Jedi. They were utterly alien. The whole series revolved around the good guys having to decide where to draw the line, what the line really was, and was there even a line? I like the brutality and honesty of it; that's war. Some side characters got saved, only to later get killed. Good. That's realistic. The main character of the series -- Jacen -- goes through so much spiritual and mental growth that I can't help but recommend the series. Not only are the Yuuzhan Vong interesting, but there are many profound themes being played with. Some that have their roots in philosophy and spirituality that the saga films only hint at. A lot of the questions people are asking here about the YV, the Jedi spend whole books trying to figure out, until finally they do figure it out. There are high points and low points in the series but I truly believe it is the greatest thing the EU ever produced. Being with those principle characters at the beginning, seeing how they change, and then being with them at the end really was fantastic. The latter books really did pay off the premise of the whole series. Overall, it's a daunting series but I give it my recommendation. Right now, I am working on a project that ties closely to the series, and the reason for that I'm sure is that the vision, quality, and characters of the series (and yes, the villains) endures.

4. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000

And that's not Star Wars. Star Wars has always been black and white, good guys vs bad guys, dark vs light. Maz went so far as to call it "the only fight there is."

Sarge likes this.
  5. xezene

Jan 6, 2016
    Every film after A New Hope begs to differ.
    [​IMG]

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    People want new and different things to expand the Saga but when they get it, people complain. :rolleyes:

Ezon Pin, DARTH_BELO and xezene like this.
  7. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Mar 8, 2000

Really? You thought Empire was morally ambiguous? Do I turn to the dark side, or don't I? There was no gray area, no unwinnable situations. In the end, he chooses the light, and we're set up for one more battle of obvious good versus obvious evil.

8. xezene

Jan 6, 2016
    The whole lesson of going into the cave, the whole point of Anakin being in Vader, and the whole overwhelming point of the prequels is that the difference between light and dark is not as huge as one may think. Light and dark exist within us. And people are complex, and the decision between light and dark is not always immediately clear. And the NJO was basically on the same point, just taking it to it's natural conclusion.

From an interview with the NJO author of Traitor [probably the greatest book to come of the franchise], this is relevant:
    It's no surprise to me that Lucas chose Stover to write Revenge of the Sith after he finished Traitor. Clearly Lucas felt some kinship with Stover's own view.

Valiowk, Ezon Pin and Force Smuggler like this.
  9. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Personally, I can't stand the way Stover writes. The ROTS novelization is unreadable to me.

Your conclusion is incorrect, at least in my case. I didn't miss the point, and I did read NJO (well, not all of it - I didn't care enough to continue after eight books or however many). I didn't like it, which is a different thing.
    And I might have posted this before, but this is why I didn't like it:

-The characters. I felt the series completely missed the mark on most of my favorite characters. Luke didn't feel like Luke, Leia didn't feel like Leia, and Han didn't feel like Han. And Jacen seemed to be an entirely different character than the Jacen I knew from fourteen Young Jedi Knights books.
    -The tone. Too dark and miserable for me. Didn't have any Star Wars-feel to it.
    -The killing of Chewie. I didn't mind the idea of Chewie dying, but come on - a moon fell on him? It seems like a parody, rather than a dramatic scene.
    -The Yuuzhan Vong. I would've really enjoyed the Yuuzhan Vong if they had appeared in Star Trek - I feel they would've fit that universe much better.
    -The overall impact on the GFFA. They destroyed so much of the galaxy I love, which I didn't like. It also retconned like half the series to have it be all about the Vong. Ugh, no thanks.

But to each, their own!
    I'm just glad we have the ST now instead :)

TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  10. xezene

Jan 6, 2016
    Wow, we are polar opposites lol. I think Stover's the best thing to ever happen to Star Wars outside the films. I guess I disagree with pretty much every perspective you have on this, but as you said, to each their own. At least you read them first. I am really glad they made something like the NJO and had the guts to really go that far with it. I could write essays and essays on the philosophical depth of the series; I've already written one. To those who were into that sort of thing, the series was very emotionally powerful and resonant. I know I was one who shed tears during Chewie's demise, as did my brother. In any case, I think that overall it was a success for me, and I've enjoyed Star Wars since long before I read NJO. I'm just glad I have the NJO instead of the ST. :p

Edit: I know there's probably no convincing you to read after those first 8, but I feel pretty confident in saying that the latter half of the series is better and more interesting than the first half. Just wanted to leave that little tidbit. :p

Force Smuggler and TCF-1138 like this.
  11. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I just want to see a flashback to the Vong War or at least a mention of it in Episode VIII.

12. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Mar 8, 2000

Or, ya know, he was available at the time. I seriously doubt Lucas even read Traitor, or at least not all of it. Someone probably told him, "Hey, this Stover guy's pretty cool, and he's available," and George probably said, "Okay, hire him, but faster, and more intense." He's always seemed very hands off about the day to day workings of the books, and I really doubt much thought on his part went into the RotS novelization. It certainly wasn't because of a kinship of outlook.

13. xezene

Jan 6, 2016
    They spoke quite a bit about the development of the book, Lucas talked with Stover a good deal and the final drafts went through Lucas more than once, with Lucas making lists of what he was okay with and what he wasn't. I don't think Lucas read Traitor but he probably was able to grasp what Stover was good at -- moral ambiguity.

14. Huttese 101

Huttese 101 Sam Witwer Enthusiast star 7

Jan 19, 2016
    First off, I'd like to say the New Jedi Order were robust stories and very well-written, with rich character development and lots of world-building, although it's been a while for me since I read any of it or anything about it. But ehhh. Do I want a movie trilogy based on the NJO?

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Well, the Thrawn novel or his appearance in Rebels might mention them in the new canon.

16. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I doubt that the Thrawn novel will. I seem to remember Zahn saying that he disliked the NJO, and was offered to write a novel in the series, but declined since he didn't like the storyline. I might be wrong though, this was many years ago.

17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    He mentioned them in the novel Outbound Flight at least.

So a mention isn't out of the realm of possibility imo.

18. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Indeed he did, I had forgotten about that!
    I stand corrected.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  19. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Have to go back and read that passage again for the details but I believe he mentioned the weirdness of the alien tech to Sidious, so its not just the Far Outsiders as a random threat but was supposed to be the Vong.

20. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I don't get what the problem with the Yuzzhan Vong is. I've read the NJO series and it's one of the best along with the Jude Watson books and Legacy of the Force. The Yuuzhan Vong are very creative and original in Star Wars.

About the possibility of a Vong film, they would make pretty good antagonists. I'm thinking either pre-Episode I, between VI and VII or post-IX.

21. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    They are just misunderstood.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  22. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016

23. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Made it nice to see a Skywalker/Solo not going dark as the main plot of the series.

Redeeming the Yuuzhan Vong is what the Jedi should do.

24. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I actually appreciated the YV to be honest. I thought for villains they were really interesting. Their hatred of the Force was perhaps my favorite aspect. They despised Force sensitives in general, it didn't matter if they were Jedi or Darkside/Sith. They hunted them both down and took them out.

Could make for an interesting Saga in the future

25. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Makes me wish we got more stories in the NJO era. And other Force groups being targeted. So much story potential.