main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Gwendoline Christie (Captain Phasma) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darkslayer, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silent Android

Silent Android Jedi Master star 1

Jan 1, 2016
    I loved TFA, but one of the biggest disappointments was Phasma. I guess everyone thought she would be bad-ass. Wouldn't a high-ranking FO officer rather die than be forced to disable the Starkiller Base's shields and undermine everything? I'm not too familiar with Gwendolyne Christie (I don't have cable, so I've never seen "Game of Thrones." I just know she's a tall British lady.

And here's the biggest Phasma let-down of all: She's nothing but middle management.

Talos156 and DarthIshyZ like this.
  2. Silent Android

Silent Android Jedi Master star 1

Jan 1, 2016
    My guess: The compactor was going to crush her but it got disabled when stuff started exploding. She climbed out and ran into Hux heading to his spaceship. She probably even helped him recover Kylo.

3. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    I agree with you Silent Android. First thing I thought when seeing it was that she could have been "Stormtrooper Captain" played by "Jane Doe" instead of a named character played by Gwendoline Christie. Where'd her star power go?

Second thing I thought is, "Well, Captain Phasma, you just pissed your career down the toilet." Now, she could say she was under the influence of Rey's force suggestion, but her powers were still quite weak at that point. I don't know how that would play.

4. KING_KENOBI

KING_KENOBI Jedi Master star 2

Oct 19, 2004
    She was probably a tounge in cheek riff/homage off Boba Fett...wich lets face it was all bark and no bite in the movies

5. redavnikana

redavnikana Jedi Master star 1

Mar 13, 2004
    Yeah I agree, I think her Star Power will come in the next or last movie, she is going to leave the First Order, she is going to be a key character without the trooper gear.

I personally feel she is a mole, or at the very least was a stolen Jedi child the First Order felt they completely converted to be First Order.

She was responsible for programming Finn, and what does Finn do? He immediately rescued Poe and Poe said why? Finn looked puzzled and says because it's the right thing to do. Or was it that he was programmed to do it,

who knows, but she does give in real easy to the resistance which makes you think.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  6. The Jaded Irk

The Jaded Irk Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 14, 2014
    Says it all that a meme (spinning stormtrooper) gets MOAR screen time than the Phasma.

7. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    I just took it as Phasma being a coward. Villains often are.

8. Solosaber

Solosaber Jedi Master star 2

Jun 22, 2005
    Phasma should turn on the first order in Ep 8, straight out of the blue with no explanation, Vince Russo style :D

Whatever happened with her and the trash compactor that Han mentioned...and did she ever make it off SK base??

9. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    The more and more I see this movie the more I realize how much of a let down Phasma was.

We should've at least seen her on Takodana.

Sent from my LGL33L using Tapatalk

B99 likes this.
  10. Phasma's Armor Polish

Phasma's Armor Polish Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 29, 2015
    This guy wasn't happy with Captain Phasma

11. Zalbaar

Zalbaar Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 12, 2016
    I think people are expecting too much, like I've said on many a thread, it's all about character develop, she'll become more integral as the plot develops.

12. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Might be lil swearing in this vid that I missed, but most blurpped out, just putting warning out. :3
    HG MJ Pt2 Honest trailer..
    I LOL'd at 4:09! [face_laugh]

Mr. Forest likes this.
  13. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014

Not sure if this has been posted already, but that very ending makes me LOL!

GG.exe likes this.
  14. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016

I think part of the disappointment lies in the fact that the First Order is presented as a splinter faction of the Empire that is motivated by fanaticism. So, seeing them backtrack on that and denying the film of an enemy that cannot be dealt with by normal means understandably left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths.

GG.exe likes this.
  15. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Just as an FYI, the Lego Star Wars game had a canonical segment that reveals all first order trash compactors have emergency switches built inside them because "people fall in a lot". Pretty awful explanation, but I think it's more than what we'll get from the film. XD

ZodaEX likes this.
  16. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Was Phasma present on Takodana...? I don't seem to remember her being there. There were a lot of promo images of her standing in front of Maz's castle after it was destroyed.

I liked her...

She wasn't used much but remember - Originally the design was for kylo, and when they decided to go with another look they liked this one so much we got an extra character! So I think of her as a bonus.

17. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Wow. That's pretty stupid.

18. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    For anyone looking for more Phasma, Lego Star Wars the Force Awakens delivers in spades! Ottegan Assault delivers a LOT of awesome Phasma exchanges with Kylo. Far more than anything in the film. Gives you a great sense of her character and how her and Kylo interact!

19. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    So, what was this? A discarded character? An alternative Phasma design?

20. Darth Zitious

Darth Zitious Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 2, 2016
    I don't see Phasma defecting to the Resistance. She is one of those people driven by her work, and you know she is one of the main FO members aside Kylo and Hux who want to redeem themselves for all their defeats in Episode 7. I think Finn's main antagonist will be Phasma, especially after he humiliated her in 7.

21. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    That's from back when Phasma's design was Kylo isn't it?

thejeditraitor likes this.
  22. Darth DoJ

Darth DoJ Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 13, 2016
    I didn't think much of Phasma in the movie, then I saw tonnes of stuff - articles and media coverage of her saying how she's supposed to be the next Boba Fett, and I couldn't help but feel that they were trying to manufacture her appeal, trying to make people like her because they thought she was universally well-liked. I didn't even remember her name. "TR-80R" was cooler IMO but still, all of that hype felt like it was manufactured by the media and not genuine viewer love.

23. Wookiee_Vader

Wookiee_Vader Jedi Master star 2

Aug 21, 2007
    I just don't see how they can redeem her as a villain. Her capitulation with the shields was just pathetic. It would make more sense if she does turn out to actually have been having cold feet about blowing away entire worlds, but we've already had that happen with Finn so it seems a bit redundant story-wise.

24. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    The thing is, she, and the rest of the FO, don't take the resistance seriously. They're an annoying thorn in the FO's side, but they aren't really seen as much more than that. Phasma lowered the shields, but she was positive it wouldn't mean much. Her troops were going to come and kill them.

She had no real reason to think that anything different would happen. In fact, it makes no real sense that troops weren't dispatched to reset the shields in the first place. Or that three people were able to defeat ALL the troopers in the shield room in the first place.

So I really wouldn't say Phasma is tarnished. More the entire FO lol.

25. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    The only way I can really see her being 'redeemed' is if she breaks away from the main First Order (either willingly or because they give her the boot after the debacle with the shield) and becomes Finn's personal enemy in the same way Ren is to Rey. Like, she's trying to hunt him specifically to redeem herself or something similar, possibly she becomes steadily more deranged and dangerous as it goes along. Gwen Christie is an accomplished actress and can really rock a fight scene so play to those strengths instead of making her goon #63985.

If she stays with the FO she's never going to become anything more than tall shiny stormtrooper as far as I can see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.