main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Lion King to Interstellar: The Music of Hans Zimmer

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Strilo , Jul 5, 2016.

1. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I looked all the way back to 2007 and did not see a thread dedicated to the film scores of Hans Zimmer. I definitely feel like we need one.

Personally, I first noticed Zimmer with his score for The Lion King, which I greatly enjoyed. It was not the lighter cartoony nature of the Menken scores before this film, but was a little darker and more serious. It was also a bit more synthesized and processed. This approach certainly impacts a lot of his scores and overall for me, he tends to be somewhat hit and miss. I do greatly enjoy some of his scores, others not so much. I enjoy the Pirates of the Caribbean scores, bombastic and over the top as they might be, they are also fun. I really enjoy a lot of the Gladiator score, which I find to be his best work.

Recently I discovered the Interstellar score and think it's fantastic. Much more understated, beautiful and rich with the organ dominating the score. To me it doesn't sound at all like "typical" Zimmer and is very unique and recognizable. I can't think of another score that sounds like Interstellar.

Howard Hand likes this.
  2. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Someone made a list of the best film music composed by Hans Zimmer. Interstellar, The Dark Knght Rises and The Lion King (in which Elton John was also involved) are my favorite film music composed by Zimmer so far:

3. DarthAnakin96

DarthAnakin96 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 5, 2016
    I didn't know he did the music for The Lion King! That's cool! But anyway, I love Hans Zimmer, he's actually one of my favorite composers after John Williams. His Pirates of the Caribbean soundtracks are some of my favorites of his.

Sarge likes this.
  4. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I liked Zimmer's work with John Powell on Kung Fu Panda. Great stuff, I really like the heavy Chinese influences.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  5. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The Last Samurai, The Thin Red Line and Man of Steel all have great tracks as well.

6. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I hated the Man of Steel soundtrack. It took his propensity for banging bad synthesized drums to an absurd level. It actively distracted from the film, I felt, which is the worst crime a score can commit.

Sarge and Darthmaul208 like this.
  7. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    The Dark Knight trilogy soundtrack is top notch.

AllyoftheForce and DarthAnakin96 like this.
  8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Completely disagree with you on this. I could understand (although not agree) if you were talking about Inception.

9. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    DarthAnakin96 likes this.
  10. DarthAnakin96

DarthAnakin96 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 5, 2016
    He did the Prince of Egypt too? How do I not know these things!:eek::p

11. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Agree. His Man of Steel soundtrack is excellent, one of my favourite superhero scores.

12. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    This is also one of my top Zimmer scores. Wonderful!

13. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Coincidence Lion King is on right now!

14. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    There is an expanded version of that soundtrack with a few new score pieces. I really should check it out.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  15. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    After the genius John Williams got his well-deserved and long overdue AFI Lifetime Achievement Award, I think Hans Zimmer deserves the same. The Lion King, The Prince of Egypt, The Dark Knight Trilogy, and the Kung Fu Panda Trilogy all speak for themselves.
    I don't feel like enough people talk about his work in Kung Fu Panda. "Oogway Ascends" and "Po Finds the Truth" are extremely powerful.
    Additionally, The Lion King might be the greatest film score of all-time to me. It's just a work of genius and it's so haunting, hopeful, and thrilling throughout its many pieces.

Darthman92 likes this.
  16. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I would not put Hans Zimmer the next in line after Williams. Goldsmith, Horner, Morricone, Silvestri, they all deserve it before Zimmer.

BlackRanger, bstnsx704 and KyleKartan like this.
  17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    [​IMG]

TX-20 likes this.
  18. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    Id add James Newton Howard or Alexandre Deplast.

I've seen the new Dune last week and the score wasnt my taste at all. It all just was like noises and sounds. No melodies for the most part. Only the "theme" was kind of a melodie.

It was better with Bond though. But for me Zimmer is a hit and miss. There are film composers for me who are way better then him.

19. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    This is exactly how I felt about his Man of Steel score. But when he nails it (Interstellar), he REALLY nails it.

20. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Zimmer's probably become too prolific and subsequently often imitated, but he's unquestionably left his mark among modern composers. The Lion King, The Thin Red Line, Inception and Interstellar are my favorites of his. And he can even churn out amazing pieces from otherwise mediocre or forgettable films.

This one from The DaVinci Code immediately comes to mind:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  21. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Gladiator too. Excellent score.

22. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Prince of Egypt is my favourite Zimmer score. That Burning Bush theme alone is one of the best themes in anything ever :)

23. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Oh yes, I am a huge fan of Prince of Egypt.

Bacon164 and darkspine10 like this.
  24. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    As someone that is usually not overly fond of Zimmer... man, his Dune score really delivers. Especially the themes associated with the Bene Gesserit.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  25. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I look forward to the film, after which I will check out the score.

TX-20 likes this.