main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters The OC Revolution | NEW! 2Q 2024 Challenge Is Up: Friendship

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by OCDatabaseSock, Sep 28, 2012.

1. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    nm

Ewok Poet likes this.
  2. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    leiamoody, I for one think it's an excellent challenge idea, and if RL cooperates with me I look forward to doing it some justice! :)

Ewok Poet likes this.
  3. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Edit: visited previous screen to see what was going on.

4. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I think it's a great challenge idea, which is precisely why I asked for an extension. :)

As for crucial decisions prompt and more male characters...that will have to wait until I'm at home again.

Findswoman likes this.
  5. OCDatabaseSock

OCDatabaseSock Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 17, 2004
  6. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Thanks for the mention here, but I'm going to withdraw my story from the voting. :) Best of luck to everyone! I'll try to get to them all.

Kahara likes this.
  7. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    The votes are counted 2, 2, 1, 1 and that means 2 winners to put up the new challenge.
    We can make this again a long running challenge ending at 1-1-2017 because I am moving and maybe without internet for a few months. By the end of the year internet will be there for sure.
    The winners are:

Findswoman and Whiskers

Congrats to the winners and to all for writing delightful stories.

Findswoman and whiskers
    Please send your challenge by PM to me

8. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Oooo, congrats Findswoman and whiskers! Well-deserved!

01.01.2017. is fine, especially if once the things have settled for you, we could go back to the old style again. Hope your moving won't be too stressful!

If you would like somebody to post prompts during that time, shout. :)

9. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Congratulations, Findswoman and whiskers! =D= Having read both stories, I can say that you both did an excellent job on the challenge.

10. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Oh wow, I'm floored! Thanks so much. And congratulations to whiskers on a very well-deserved win! @};-

OCDatabaseSock, would you like the two of us to come up with a new challenge together, or to each submit something separately (i.e., so that we'll have two challenge prompts running at once)?

Kudos to all—this was a fantastic crop of stories all around, and thanks to leiamoody once again for this excellent and thought-provoking challenge! =D=

11. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    First off, thanks to leiamoody for such a great challenge, and thanks to all of you that wrote such great responses to it. Congrats to Findswoman for your win, as well.

I don't quite know how ties do the challenge, either, but I will be searching the archives to make sure that any idea I have hasn't been done for at least the past five years.

12. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Well done to the winners, the writers, and to whomever came up with the "laundry/not doing much", challenge idea.

Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  13. leiamoody

Nov 8, 2005
    It was the butler.

divapilot likes this.
  14. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    The two winners can come up with something separately. We have half a year until the end of 2016 and that's enough for two challenges.

Kahara, Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  15. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Congrats to the winners! This was a great challenge and it really generated some terrific stories.

16. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Congrats whiskers and Findswoman, thanks leiamoody for the great challenge and thanks everyone for the great stories!

(Also, everyone, I've read all your fics under this challenge. I haven't reviewed yet, but it's on my list [face_blush])

Findswoman , Kahara and whiskers like this.
  17. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    whiskers and Findswoman like this.
  18. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014

OK, challenge idea sent! :D

Thanks again to all. :)

Ewok Poet and leiamoody like this.
  19. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    Findswoman and whiskers gave us two great ideas

Current Challenge
    The summer/autumn/winter challenge will run untill 1-1-2017 00.00 pacific time.

Provided by

Findswoman
    Write a story featuring an OC who is never physically present in the story but still manages to influence the events and outcome in a pivotal way. The character can be absent from the scene for any reason the author chooses, including death. (NB: it's OK for the character to be perceived in some other way—e.g., heard over a comm call, heard through a nearby doorway, sensed in the Force, etc.—as long as the character is never actually seen in person "onstage.")

and

whiskers:
    One of the things I remember most about a favorite autobiography of mine was that the athlete recalling another person that trained with him. He had mostly nice things to say, but his main criticism has always stuck out: "he has burned bridges that he should have just looked back at."

My challenge is this: your character burns the proverbial with someone and there is no turning back from it. They may regret it, or they may not, the choice is up to you.

20. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    Question on the first one, what if the OC is the 'Stage'. Like a ship which the other characters are on.

Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  21. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

Then you would gain a reader in me. You just described the concept of my current original writing thing. :D

22. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    I'm not too sure it'll be like what you're thinking, it's a much lower concept than what I'd expect from you.

Basically I'm saying don't get your hopes up. Because obviously I'm nowhere near a good enough writer for this place.

23. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    A-we-so-me challenges Findswoman and whiskers!!!

OCDatabaseSock Just to clarify, what's the deal for this situation? Are we participants expected to write two stories, or one for either of the challenges -- or one that combines both? I hope I can make the time to write two stories (but, okay, don't count on it... :()

(And, yes, in case anyone is wondering -- it's 4:30 am here and I'm getting ready for work, and it's Monday and all:mad: )

whiskers and Findswoman like this.
  24. leiamoody

Nov 8, 2005
    So the first half of this challenge could be possibly inspired by Waiting For Godot? The "off-stage" character has a certain significance, yet their importance is conveyed through, for example, dialogue? Or is narrative description a preferred method?

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  25. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    The Findshusband asked the same thing! I had almost forgotten about Waiting for Godot (which I last read way back in high school) and it wasn't in my head at the moment I came up with this challenge, but yes, something along those lines is what I'm after, and that play could certainly serve as a source of inspiration if desired.

How the importance of the offstage character is conveyed is completely up to you, the author—could be by dialogue, by narrative description, by anything you like.

If you can convincingly make a case within the story that the "stage" in this case is actually sentient and a character, then go for it. It would be an interesting concept indeed. (And yes, I think I know which concept Ewok Poet is referring too. Wow, how cool would it be to end up with not one but TWO such stories! :D )

Thanks so much! :) You take good care and hang in there—hope you can get some rest.

I was wondering the same thing, since to my knowledge this is the first time I've seen this happen.

Chyntuck, Ewok Poet and leiamoody like this.