main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource The Fanon Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by FanonSock, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014

Nightworlds sounds fantastic, and I would love a guide to the slang used in Searching for Lost Irellion, too. :) But heck, any of these would be an interesting read; the blasters and blaster technology could be very useful too, just practically speaking. Up to you in the end. :D

2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    NIGHTWORLDS
    Nigthworlds is a non-academic spacer term for planet that receive very little to no light (of the wave length humans can perceive) but are still living worlds. It is also used for worlds where most or all life only comes out at night, like Barab 1.

--------------------

Af'El [canon]

--------------------

Barab 1 [canon]

--------------------

Caren [ Anedon 's]
    --------------------

Carros [Iix_Hunter‘s]

--------------------

Dagobah [canon]

--------------------

Dora-Morgna Doar
    So far away from its sun that it would only give so much light as a full moon Dora-Morgna Doar is a nigthworld constantly hidden by clouds and mist making it even hard for many species that have evolved on nightworlds to navigate. The clouds and mist are so connected that the only difference is that the later disappear when it rains.

Navigation on Dora-Morgna Doar is made harder by the suns tendencies to have storms from time to time. Those storms create great auroras in the sky above the clouds, fries any electronics not properly isolated and makes any wireless communication less advanced then spaceships coms worthless.

The temperature on Dora-Morgna Doar stays near constantly around 20°C thanks to the high humidity. Most of the planets landscape is covered in blue bamboo like flora, here and there punctured by oak-like pine trees.

A long time ago the Ar-Gûlar transorganics, dreaded masters of bioalchemy and gensculpting, choose to build their laboratory-keeps on Dora-Morgna Doar. They continued with their unholy experiments to make life “better” for many decades before being rooted out by an alliance of the Republic forces, the sorcerers of Thund and the ecological priests of Ithor.

The alliance termination or capture of the Ar-Gûlar members, razed their laboratory-keeps, dispelled the life nexuses* that transorganics had created and put down all of their mutants and abominations. Sadly some of them escaped and they or their descendants still hunt Dora-Morgna Doar mist covered land.

* Areas with unnaturally high life force; i.a. making many kinds of bioalchemy so much easier.

Around three centuries ago the planet was colonised by Aphriels, albino near-arkainians, who have adapted to Dora-Morgna Doar’s conditions by having most of their technology relay on other things then electricity. [Think Rapture in BioShock but with even less electric equipment. Pneumatic tube systems are the main way to send messages]

There is also a small gand colony established on the planet because of religious reasons, the gand claim that Dora-Morgna Doar is a word where the Mist is strong.

--------------------

Esfandia [canon]

--------------------

Lucia
    How Lucia can be considered a nightworld is a question many spacers ask when they look upon the planet’s surface of rock desert constantly sun backed in eternal daylight. How can a planet whose surface does not know night be considered a night world? The answer comes as the spaceship enter into one of the many openings that exists, both natural and artificial, into the planets underground. Here life have evolved on Lucia, in the great cavern systems and underground water ways. The native flora is made up by fungus, algae, eatable crystals and lichen which feed a insect- and crustacean like fauna, with the larges species being a kind of centipede the size of a moray-eel.

Around seven centuries ague umbaran mining companies established mining colonies on Lucia. In time those colonies become self-sufficient, developed their own culture and become independent from their homeworld and the companies who founded them. The original mining colonies have all been turned into cities and the umbaran have also settled into other caverns and tunnel-systems. The planet is governed by a great planet-counsel made up by representative from all the cities (lesser settlements are supposed to speak through the nearest city by sending their representative to that city’s city-counsel) and the different guilds.

Even if each city is its own place with unique architecture, planning and traditions so are there enough returning features in all cities to make outsiders say that every city on Lucia is the same. Among the returning futures are horseshoe arches for most doors and larger windows; bazaars selling everything you need; caf houses that serve strong caf together with honey sweets; parks with kiosk in the central parts of the city. Parks and gardens are actually a way of showing power: the more powerful a settlement is the more and larger parks it has; people of power have their own large gardens or parks, often with a kiosk. For most outsiders, lacking the umbarans’ night vision, the cities and living areas on Lucia seems dark and barley lit.

People usually dress in variations of the combination of shirt, saroual, waist sash and waistcoat in grey, black, silver and/or red. Headwear are common, usually khats or fujins but farmers and people who live in moist caverns often use wide-brimmed conical hats to protect from the roof dripping.
    Youths often have a knee-length kaftan instead of shirts and often throw phosphorus paint at the back of their waistcoats. A variation of the ghostdance style is also growing in popularity.

By movies-era so have most of the mines worth working in dried out and Lucia have instead turned the mining shafts into farming areas. The main export is food stuff, most of it in the form of protein pastes, nutrient bars and honey sweets. The main imports are tech they cannot make themselves, caf and food spices.

--------------------

Nar Morga [Hutt space]
    Far away from its sun Nar Morga is kept warm by heavy tectonic activity and many areas with heavy radiation. The flora is mostly yellow moss and lichen, punctured by groves of bracken and bracken-trees; the native fauna is made up by six-legged reptilians and giant amoebas. There have also been out-world species that have tried their luck on Nar Morga but only the hardiest have survived. The most feared beast is the acid spiting ‘acid lizard’, which is around the size of a komodo-dragon.

Nar Morga’s main (and often only) export is a kind of pollen used in in the manufacture of certain drugs. The pollen is gathered by mobile tech barbarians who search the land for the pollen during the pollen season which they then trade to spacer in exchange for technology and radiation medicine.

--------------------

Sengor Callo [Danjar sector]
    Sengor Callo is a nightworld whose day is as bright as full moon night, the world itself is mostly covered in water and has a heavy tide. It lacks any continents and eternally dry land can be found on island-mesas. The water life mostly resemble deep-sea fauna with the land life is made up by amphibians and insects, non larger than anything found on Earth. Most of the land vegetation is in the form of shrubberies.

Sengor Callo is a Schenor colony world and had originally nothing more than what was considered enough to mark territory, this changed two generations ago when the Murga’Morn nest-guild was exiled, with all hands, to the nigthworld.

--------------------

Umbara [canon]

Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  3. FanonSock

FanonSock Jedi Master star 1

Nov 11, 2014
    Just added Gamiel 's nightworlds post to the index. Thank you, Gamiel!

How are things going for people with the Fanon Quote Challenge, by the way? Inspired? Semi-inspired? Not inspired? Questions? We still have a good couple months till the deadline, but I just thought I'd check in. :)

Chyntuck and Ewok Poet like this.
  4. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Incredibly inspired!

Findswoman likes this.
  5. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Tell us more! :D

Ewok Poet likes this.
  6. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    It's a far future story featuring a Twi'lek woman with a strange obsession. I just didn't have enough time to focus on it. :)

Findswoman likes this.
  7. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I have a story planned out, good action, and while I know how to proceed, I have gotten stalled at a comlink usage stage; all the comlinks on Wiki are too short range even to reach an RL orbit.

I thought the 50km or mile range of the better SW comlinks would easily reach orbit, but the International Space Station for instance, is thousands of miles up, easily four figures. So I have stalled and gone onto other projects for the time being.

Findswoman likes this.
  8. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Why not invent a model of your own that can do that sort of stuff? Or use a radiophonic device instead? Or put a placeholder there, write the rest of the story and come back to it. :) Just an idea, of course.

Findswoman likes this.
  9. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Yeah, had to invent a new type of comlink.

Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  10. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    Before you do that Sith-I-5 take a look at the OmniNode communications set in the wook, it can reach into orbit but, it's also a backpack so still might not work.

Also the MultiNode communications set can reach orbit in clear weather, or so the Wook claims. This model can also fit into goggles or helmets.

Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  11. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    I needed a holocomm element, which is why I had to create something. Thank you for the help though, you two.

EDIT: Looking at my text, it looks like I updated the model of an existing comlink (Qui Gonn's Hush-98), creating the Hush-205.

Below, I asked Raissa Baiard if she wants to create a Hoatzeri' comlink, but if she does not, I will stick with the Hush-205.

12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I think the coms used by many of the jedi in TCW could reach orbit, but maybe they relayed on amplifiers in the transporter/tanks near them.
    I have an idea, will see if it works out.

13. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Gamiel, what can you tell us about your idea? :D

14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    describing somebody watching a game of Circleball played by a species of unusual size.

FanonSock a question do we need to use the quote word for word or just use it as an inspiration?

Findswoman likes this.
  15. FanonSock

Nov 11, 2014

Word for word, please. The exact quote has to actually appear in the story—that is, it has to actually be uttered by a character in your story. :)

Ewok Poet and Gamiel like this.
  16. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014

Ah ha! I guess that may explain why you were asking about extra-big species that time. :D Again, the Phlogs are a good example, and I think the Thakwaash might be pretty darn tall too (three meters on average, as I recall; Hohass Ekwesh was two meters and considered short). Sounds like a fun concept.

Which goes for yours, too, Ewok Poet and Sith-I-5! I-5, glad you were able to get unblocked and come up with a suitable device.

Gamiel and Ewok Poet like this.
  17. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    I think my stoppage after the comlink is down to POV.

My main protagonist in first person(?) was Raissa Baiard's Hoatzeri, but she needs to call offworld emergency services, and on a subconscious level, I may have become conflicted as to which POV to use for the exchange, or stick with the Hoatzeri's.

18. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    I guess I'm not clear on what the nature of the conflict is? If the Hoatzeri is your main protagonist, then I'd stick with her point of view, by all means—the emergency service people are secondary, after all, and a sudden switch of viewpoint is only going to cause confusion for your readers.

Edit: Ok, I think I see what you mean now: you're considering changing the viewpoint of the WHOLE story, not just that one point. That's up to you in the end, but using first-person viewpoint doesn't mean at all that you can't bring in other characters as needed! :D

Ewok Poet likes this.
  19. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    You were sort of right first time.

Now I realise I had four or five POVs planned for this.

FanonSock, I am quite pleased that you checked how we were doing.

Raissa Baiard - do you want to have a go at thinking up a surface-to-orbit comlink specific to the Hoatzeri?

386 words added before I got distracted. :)

Findswoman likes this.
  20. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Yup, lots of ideas for a Detective Eliskandro story -- I just need to find time for it, and time is a rare commodity right now, but I should be able to manage that by the deadline [face_good_luck]

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  21. FanonSock

Nov 11, 2014
    Well, thanks, I-5. It's my pleasure. It's great to hear about other folks' ideas and how they're coming along—sharing of ideas and mutual support is what it's all about in this hobby. :)

Gamiel likes this.
  22. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Honestly, I would probably use whatever was already in existence. They are a space-faring species with contact with the rest of the Galaxy, so there's no reason they wouldn't have access to whatever's out there. Sorry, that probably wasn't very helpful, but new technology isn't my forté. [face_dunno]

Ewok Poet, Sith-I-5 and Findswoman like this.
  23. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Okay, cool. I already updated the existing Hush-98 to a Hush-205, so I will stick with that. Thank you for getting back to me. Raissa is turning out to be quite a resourceful young avian. :)

24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    THE SLANG AND ACCENTS USED BY ‘THE BLACK SEA’S SERPENT’S CREW

Background
    Those that have read my fic ‘Searching for lost Irellion’ have seen that the crew of the Black Sea’s Serpent sprinkle their language with a generous amount of slang. Slang that is not based on huttese or any other SW language, instead it is mostly based on Russian – more or less – most of it stolen from the fictive argot nadsat, created by Anthony Burgess for his book A Clockwork Orange, and from the slang glossary from the RPG book GURPS: Cyberworld and some stuff of my own, much of it based on Swedish.

The reason for this mostly comes from a personal interest in slang and a notable, in my opinion, lack of people in SW using real slang (ignoring all the fictive cures words and oral contractions) or dialects. Therefor I wanted my characters to speak slang and with some dialect. The problem was to come up with what kind of slang to use, since much slang is based on pop-culture or different languages. I could not use pop-culture as inspiration since I have no real idea about pop-culture in SW and what fictive languages SW have are not really that developed and I don’t know them that well.

I had already created/stolen some spacer slang words – found here, together with some canon SW slang that I thought would be common among spacers – but not as many as I felt I needed. Then I realised that some of the words I had created/stolen was based on Russian and there existed already a fictive argot based on English with lots of Russian loanwords: Anthony Burgess’ nadsat. Since most people that would read my material would likely not know Russian or nadsat, outside of the most well-known words, would it not feel like Earth-isms to the readers.

Using Russian also fitted with that three of the Black Sea’s Serpent’s crew members were devaronians and devaronians’ (at least according to some parts of the fandom) have Russian accents.

A quick look around the internet revelled to me that not only did there exist good glossary list for the argot but I also found an English-to-nadsat translation site. This was good since I then did not need to go through my characters dialog and change word for word, even if I now have realised that the translation site is not as good as I had hoped (it do miss some words).

Accents
    When it comes to the characters accents, it is mostly quite simple:

Padishar Kreel use ‘Eh’ instead of ‘I’; ‘ya’ instead of ‘you’ and use lots of contractions.

The devaronians say ‘ye’ instead of you; usually don’t use contractions and often drop ‘the’.

For the Amphi-Hydrus it becomes a bit more complicated:
    You = ya
    Your = yar
    Have = hava
    Navigator = navagator
    Is = ‘s
    Of = o’
    Kreel = Chreel
    Drop the ‘r’ at the end of words
    ‘th’ become ‘d’

Glossary list
    Glossaries for nadsat are easy to find on the internet so I will not provide any translations for the nadsat words here. But all other words the crew uses or could use in the future are below, some have already appeared in my earlier slang post. Words marked with an * are from GURPS: Cyberworld even if many of them are tweaked a bit. In some cases I have put comments on the origin of the word between square brackets.

Apritj = a powerful and dangerous agent for any powerful organization, be it government, mafia, mega corporation or similar. People that could be considered apritj are (among others): jedi; inquisitors; Guri; [from the pronunciation of oprichnik]
    Banger = gangbanger
    Boetie = brother
    Boo-coo = many
    Boss-ma’am/-man = Female/male superior. The crew use it to refer to Kreel.
    Breetmal = Blend of breetva and cybermall; an animal with combat oriented cybernetic implants. See breetva and cybermal below.
    Breetva* = Cyborg with combat oriented implants, especially claws or other cutting weapons. [from the Russian word for razor]
    Corphal = necromancer [from the Barsoom-saga]
    Cred = credits; electronic money
    Cybermal = Blend of cybernetic and animal; an animal with cybernetic implants, usually enhancing.
    Esalacha = Durese for Excellent
    Juju = see Mojo
    Izrin = 1) Durese for beautiful; 2) slang for nice, good, positive. Used the same way as 'shiny' in Firefly.
    Korp* = a large, usually planet-spanning if not interstellar, corporation.
    Kvinns = women
    Loco* = 1) local person; 2) an local business, usually independent and without any korp connections.
    Maté = Ca. friend or fellow
    Minshy* = generally means “small timer”, “second rate”
    Mojo = Non-corporal power. Among the things that counts as mojo are: luck; magic; extraordinary skills or abilities; Force sensitivity and manipulation;
    Nak-nik* = supervisor; a low- or mid-level manager; boss
    Nyek* = unhip, uncool
    Oo’zhas* = technically awful, terrible; usually used as “to bad” and then sarcastically
    Papyrus = cigarettes
    Puffing = smoking
    Shilmulo = undead, ca. vampire
    Shy* = a broker; a lawyer; a loan shark
    Stanitsa = spacer stations/villages; the spacer quarter/s part of a town.
    Street treat* = a cheap firearm
    Teletotal = smartphone like devices.
    Tjekist = intelligence agent
    Traff = short for trafficker; a smuggler, usually dealing with slaves or drugs
    Zavvy* = a manger; upper-level sarariman; the crew use it similar to ‘sir’ when not talking about/to the captain.
    Zek* = an executive; the crew use it to refer to the captain

This list will expand as they use new words.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  25. FanonSock

Nov 11, 2014
    Jedi_Perigrine and Ewok Poet like this.