main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Classics Star Wars: Ewoks (1985-1986) discussion, rewatch, information & analysis thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Ewok Poet, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Kez-Iban

Kez-Iban Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Next month marks the 30th anniversary of the Ewoks and Droids cartoons. I hope starwars.com does something special to mark the occasion. On another note, I saw some pics showing that Princess Kneesaa dolls were being sold at D23! Did anyone else see those? I'm guessing they are brand new, but I never get to Disney parks, so I don't know for sure.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

There are six new dolls: (another) Wicket, (second or third) Kneesaa, Teebo (adult/ROTJ version), Chirpa (ROTJ version), Logray (ROTJ, COC version) and Romba.

3. Kez-Iban

Sep 4, 2012
    My son just got Disney Infinity 3.0 today, and I was surprised to see that there was a little Princess Kneesaa towns person in the game! It's nice to know that when the Star Wars content of the game was being designed that someone remembered the Ewoks cartoon.

Trebor Sabreon and Ewok Poet like this.
  4. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
  5. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Great review, Ewok Poet - Thanks very much.

Here's a link to a recent article form the SW Website about the Ewoks cartoon:

http://www.starwars.com/news/from-w...evisiting-the-star-wars-ewoks-animated-series

This brings back a lot of memories of that time period. I literally remember when the Ewoks/Droids cartoons came out in Fall '85 as if it were yesterday. I was a young teen at the time, and was a member of the Star Wars Fan club. Right around the time the cartoon(s) made their debut, I got the latest issue of Bantha Tracks (the then-SW newsletter), and that had a great article about the making of the cartoons.

At that time, SW fandom was dying. 1985 was the last year that SW Kenner figures were released (POTF, and they were not easy to find), and other than these cartoons & the Marvel comic (which was also on it's last legs) there was very little new SW material out there. So, these cartoons were like a breath of fresh air to hardcore SW fans like me.

I have been wanting to see both Ewoks/Droids released to DVD/Blu in their entirety for years, and it still hasn't happened. Back in late Summer 2012, it was rumored that both shows would be officially re-mastered & made available for streaming, but this never occurred....

Iron_lord and Ewok Poet like this.
  6. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Hmmm. The same author as last time and once again, he totally doesn't get Teebo and he believes in the character swap thing which is as outdated and wrong as that Wookiees thing.

He doesn't seem to get Latara either.

7. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    Very nice blog article, Ewok Poet. It was interesting to read about your introduction to one of your favorite animated series and how it shaped you being a SW fan.

And that SW.com article is good, but it would be even better if they celebrated the 30th anniversary of the show by also releasing the complete series on DVD (and give Droids, which also turns 30, the same treatment too).

Ewok Poet likes this.
  8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The Illustrated Star Wars Universe and The Essential Guide to Characters came out very close together - December 1995 and November 1995. Charal is not in The Essential Guide to Characters - but Cindel Towani is. I know Charal was a Nightsister as of The Illustrated Star Wars Universe at least - I'm not sure if any info about her made it into Cindel's entry in the earlier book.

9. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I thought Zack Gialongo first called her a Nightsister? Looks like I've been living a lie.

10. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Just read the first post of this thread (had missed it before for whatever reason). Wow - Ewok Poet, thanks very much for all of the comprehensive info. This is extremely good info. on the '80's Ewoks cartoon - very impressive. Thanks very much for taking the time to put this together. I especially appreciate all of the links :D

Ewok Poet likes this.
  11. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Thank you. :) I have been lazy for the past couple of months, but I totally plan to continue this.

12. Kez-Iban

Sep 4, 2012
    I wish we could see some of the Droids and Ewoks characters in new adventures or even retold adventures. 1980's cartoons are not everybody's cup of tea today, but the characters, worlds, technology and even a lot of the plots were still really good, and I see no reason why they couldn't be reusable today. It would be fun to see something from these shows appear in Rebels or in a comic. These poor characters have been out of action for way too long.

13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe it could be revealed that Phoenix Squadron's A-wings came from Tammuz-an? With Mon Julpa making an appearance.

Or Screed and his Gladiator (Screed himself already appeared in Tarkin.)

An Ewok huntress called Asha Fahn appeared in the new ROTJ novelization - it's pretty clear that she's a nod to Asha from the series.

John Pannozzi and Ewok Poet like this.
  14. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    She IS Asha, the author confirmed it to me on Twitter. :)

15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Makes sense that this would be the author's intent. Be nice to see something (a new Character Encyclopedia perhaps?) recanonizing some details though - about her being Chirpa's daughter, her basic history, etc.

John Pannozzi likes this.
  16. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    First of all, sorry that I capitalised "IS". I looked back at it and it looks like I'm yelling stuff at you and that was not my intention. [face_blush]

Absolutely agreed. And, so far, we have Teebo's way with words and Asha's, well, existence.

John Pannozzi likes this.
  17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Found a Ewoks VHS collection thing containing the episodes, Cries of the Trees and The Tree of Light.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  18. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    And yesterday marked the anniversary of the 1985 ABC premieres of...

At the public library where I work, we have the single disc releases of each of these and they get checked out a lot. If they came out with full series releases, the kids would love them.

19. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Those are some great parents, I think. :)

Valency Jane and Kenneth Morgan like this.
  20. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Surprised Ewoks never made into TCW,lol.

21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    In the Legendsverse, the CW comics did include an Endor episode - Aayla Secura is on Endor, and fights against one of its monsters:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/What_Goes_Up...

Ewok Poet likes this.
  22. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    But thats not what I'm talking about you know, and even that kinda stuff often unfortunately then was not the same level(they always had different levels) of canon.

23. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016

You should be glad that ewoks were not in TCW T-canon. They would probably have been portrayed just like ewoks in the old cartoon, and that now would be as canon as ROTJ ewoks [face_sick]

24. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    Man I loved these shows. The Duloks are one of my top favourite Star Wars species, really wish they get recanonized so we can get more story with them. :)

Valency Jane, Iron_lord and Ewok Poet like this.
  25. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The newcanon reference work Ultimate Star Wars does mention them in passing, as aggressive creatures that lurk in the swamps of the forest moon, hunting Ewoks and lantern birds.

Valency Jane, Ewok Poet and revan772 like this.