main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC I Have an Actual Moral Dilemma

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rogue1-and-a-half, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Oh Diggy, I would never miss one of your posts.

Diggy likes this.
  2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    This reminds me and it's semi-related, but...have any of you comic book enthusiasts read or heard of Crossed? I've just started getting into graphic novels, and that was on a list of must-reads. I read the general plot synopsis and...holy **** wtf.

3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Yes. Got it. Found it disgusting. Burned it.

4. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Moral dilemmas aren't for everyone.

Ender Sai and ShaneP like this.
  5. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

ive read all the Crossed stuff, actually

the original limited series is excellent

some of the Badlands arcs are excellent, but a lot of Badlands' 100 issue run is filler/repetative

the special issues/one-shots tend to be pretty good

Crossed Family Values limited series was forgettable

Crossed Psychopath limited series was quite good

Crossed Wish You Were Here... i liked it as a serialized experience when it was being released online a few pages at a time, but i bet it wouldn't hold up as a straight-through read. probably have pacing problems

Crossed 100+'s original arc by alan moore was excellent and SO promising, but once he handed off writing duties it kind of got mired. i think its been canceled

the publisher (avatar) seems to be winding down generally in terms of their output, and badlands ended at issue 100 and 100+ i think has been canceled (there's maybe one issue or so that i havent read yet) so this is either a good or a bad time to be taking an interest in Crossed, depending on your point of view. its basically zombie apocalypse fiction but the zombies are more terrifying

6. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Okay, so, 1. please take my comment regarding lists into consideration and 2. there are better books by Garth Ennis you could read first anyway (Hitman, Preacher, his runs on Hellblazer and Punisher). Crossed is mediocrity made infamous by some extreme scenes, the Cannibal Ferox of zombie comics.

7. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    preacher is sort of better when its not being boring af

cant comment on the others

8. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I mean at no point would I consider Garth Ennis "essential reading" or whatever but that's all stuff I enjoyed more than Crossed, obviously we've got some different opinions on that series though. :p

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  9. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    we can agree about garth ennis not qualifying as essential in any sense. its popcorn bull****

Ramza likes this.
  10. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    my favorite things hes done are actually two stand-alone miniseries. one was Caliban, which was in the Event Horizon/Sphere "crew of people trapped in a small space with an inscrutable alien horror" subgenre and did it better than most. the other was Rover, Red, Charlie, which was about dogs trying to survive in a zombie/crossed-type apocalypse environment and after all the humans had been wiped out. all of the feelssssss

11. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    A book should always make you feel *something*. Joy, rage, enlightenment or hate....it's done it's job.

harpua likes this.
  12. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000

I would buy a book just to have someone do this!

tom likes this.
  13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Burn the book, toast a marshmallow over the fire, and make yourself a s'more; that way you'll get a little joy out of it.

14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Mmmm, holocaust s'mores.

Rogue1-and-a-half and Sarge like this.
  15. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Rogue1-and-a-half Not only was this book required reading as part (i.e.: myself & my brother) of our high school magnet program, my brother loves this book so much that within the past year, he got a painted bird (in color to boot) tattoo.

As for me, I share your hatred for it. So over-the-top, with a rather obvious message that it treats as a profound discovery (People/society like to single out others as bad, and thus treat them horribly! Wow).

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  16. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015
    I just want to say thank you for having this moral conflict, because I feel the same way about books. No book, no matter how Twilight it might be, is worth burning. I do not like the image that conjures up, or the part of our neanderthal brains that desires the destruction of art and/or knowledge. And yet, I realize that some things are just terribly depraved. Maybe scribble a warning inside the front cover before you donate it?

17. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    I am totally fine with creating art out of unwanted books.....as a person who has spent 18 years moving remainders around that no one wants to buy. Fun fact: I remember staring at a stack of the first book in the Dexter series for 3 years. Was selling for like, $100 bucks after the show became the rage.

18. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Just destroy the book. Ridding yourself of your own possessions is not censorship. The latter is an attempt to exert control over others. You are merely expunging unworthy things from the world.

19. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    next thing you know you'll be sleeping on the floor creating movies on the ceiling

20. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Rogue, don't keep the book. If it makes you unhappy to have it, get rid of it.

If you don't want to give it to someone else, just throw it out. Don't burn it or make some big scene that will feel like censorship; just throw it away. It's a possession that you don't want and has no value to you. You're not censoring the art; the art is still out there. Just get rid of it the way you would if the binding disintegrated or you spilled chocolate milk all over it. Put it in the trash, bag it up, and take it out. It will go into a landfill and slowly disintegrate and no one will ever actually see it again.

21. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Making this book required reading for anything other than an enhanced interrogation is unbelievably stupid. And I guess your brother is trying to appropriate the symbol of the powerless and turn it into a badge of honor. That's . . . about as positive a reaction as anyone could possibly have to this book.

But honestly I think various people here have talked me around to the realization that destroying my one single copy of something isn't censorship. That makes sense to me now. I think I'll burn it. Because that will be more fun than shredding it.

Sarge and DarthTunick like this.
  22. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    White Elephant it.

23. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    On the day of your birth, did your father consider your mother's womb the world? Because that last sentence is so much better than "breathe, just breathe!"

24. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
  25. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I did end up deciding to burn it symbolically. But I still haven't.

Darth Punk likes this.