main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga KOTOR: Should it be canon?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth Formidious, Sep 3, 2016.

?

Should KOTOR be reintroduced to canon?

1. Yes, they were brilliant!

17 vote(s)
    53.1%
  2. No, I hated them!

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Impartial (apathy is death!)

11 vote(s)
    34.4%
  1. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    But did we need to see a lightsaber every five minutes? After all, the Jedi can do a lot more than swing around a lightsaber. We especially didn't need to see Yoda and Palpatine have one.

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Maybe KOTOR is the content of a holocron? I know that Tales of the Jedi was intended to be the content of a holocron.

3. missile

missile Jedi Padawan star 1

May 24, 2016
    I agree, the jedi should be using the force most of the time any way.

TheMoldyCrow likes this.
  4. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    To each there own. I like seeing Jedi use the Jedi's weapon. And the Sith too as they have always been portrayed too.[face_dunno]

Huttese 101 likes this.
  5. Huttese 101

Huttese 101 Sam Witwer Enthusiast star 7

Jan 19, 2016
    Personally I could go either way. I don't see how they could re-canonize KOTOR at this point after the canon reboot was touted as a clean break, but at the same time, the KOTOR games were very well made and they each made fantastic contributions to the breadth and depth of Star Wars canon. I just voted "impartial." Would it be weird to say I wouldn't mind them being made canon again, but with a tweak to the timeline? I mean I used to think the Old Republic era was really cool but one thing about it that constantly bugged me was just how many years before the Saga movies it took place. 4,000 years BBY? What? Why? Maybe they could move 'em up a bit to circa 1,000 BBY, around the time of the New Sith Wars in the old canon (since I think it's been hinted that the Ruusan Reformations might kind of be grandfathered in too). I think that could dovetail nicely with the way canon is headed. Anyway I suspect it won't ever be canon again wholesale, but Lucasfilm is going to keep doing the piecemeal thing they like to do.

Taris is canon again too. I'm sure everybody already knows that though. One of the New Republic politicians standing on the balcony on Hosnian Prime before it was blown up in TFA was actually the NR senator from Taris. It was in TFA Visual Dictionary, I think.

6. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016

Yeah, why would they be using their primary weapon in a combat situation?! I mean, what a ridiculous notion! :rolleyes:

Huttese 101 likes this.
  7. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    Yes, combat situations typically against Battle Droids, probably the most ineffective villains in cinema.

DarthCricketer likes this.
  8. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    And?

9. Huttese 101

Jan 19, 2016
    I don't understand this useless KOTOR vs. prequels antagonism. I like both. I'm not even sure I've heard a "KOTOR is better than PT because XYZ" argument before until now. And these comparisons are pretty disingenuous. Fact is, the prequels are still SW canon whereas KOTOR isn't anymore.

10. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    There wouldn't even be KOTOR without the prequels. KOTOR started development as a Clone Wars game, but Bioware found they were constrained by the timeline, so they rewrote their game to take place thousands of years earlier. Also, before the prequels were written, "Darth" was a first name (although it was an alias), not a title, meaning none of the characters in KOTOR would be called "Darth" without the prequels.

Huttese 101 likes this.
  11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    So people can't like KOTOR more than the PT because the PT is canon and the KOTOR isn't? Maybe they just like KOTOR more than the PT. Opinions and all that.

12. Huttese 101

Jan 19, 2016
    [face_sigh]

Never said that. You can like whatever you want however you want. You do you. I just think it's a useless debate here. Why does it matter if you like KOTOR better than the PT? It's apples and oranges anyway. But this is about whether KOTOR should be canon again. The PT was always canon.

13. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Seemed like you meant it that way to me.

14. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    I think Force Smuggler's reason for asking is that this same kind of argument appears in Republic vs TCW debates. They argue that TCW is better than Republic because it's canon and that's where it stops for them. Like canonicity determines quality.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The actual characters, their characterizations and relationships, the planets, ships, alien species, alien societies, groups the plot of the story, how coherent it feels, etc. Not whether it is deemed canon or not. All of it is just work of fiction anyway.

16. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Essentially. Which is why I wasn't really mad that long when Legends was labelled as a separate continuity.

17. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I feel like KOTOR should have been set in the 2000 BBY - 1000 BBY era instead of immediately after TOTJ. KOTOR feels disconnected from TOTJ, has way more advanced tech than TOTJ, and 2000 BBY - 1000 BBY was already established to be an era of Sith wars.

Huttese 101 and Howard Hand like this.
  18. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016

It feels that way only if you fixate on TOTJ's ancient design style in its artwork. If you ignore that and say its just an artists impression of the time and not necessarily accurate or true, and concentrate on the history told in the dialog of kotor, it feels far more connected. Although it certainly would have helped if Bastila was still Nomi Sunrider's daughter Vima.

I think the technology in Exar kun's time is the same as in Revan's time. In what way would you say it advanced?

19. M4A1

M4A1 Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2022
    You're forgetting that this was before the Rule Of Two was introduced. There were so many Jedi and Sith at the time that lightsaber battles happened much more frequently.

20. M4A1

M4A1 Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2022
    KOTOR was set before the prequels. About 4,000 years or so. The newer iteration, the MMORPG version takes place some 300 years later. It's not about whether or not it's better than the prequels per se, rather that it should be considered canon.

The main reason it isn't is because Revan is considered too powerful for this to make any logical sense whatsoever, and therefore can no longer be considered canon.