main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Lightsaber Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DarthCeltic, Apr 5, 2016.

?

Favorite Lightsaber?

1. Anakin's Blue

31 vote(s)
    29.5%
  2. Luke's Green

31 vote(s)
    29.5%
  3. Kylo's Red

17 vote(s)
    16.2%
  4. Ben's Blue

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Leia's Blue

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  6. Rey's Yellow

18 vote(s)
    17.1%
  7. Dark Rey's Red

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. WookieeRage

WookieeRage Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2016
    Never read the novel, what happened to the "Vader" saber the acolytes were searching for?

2. Darphus_Mon

Darphus_Mon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 23, 2003
    Originally I thought the Darth Vader saber they bought was the Anakin saber we see in TFA. Still could be, but they refer to it as a red blade saber.

Maybe Vader had a spare?

oncafar likes this.
  3. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    The Acolytes of the Beyond were a group of dark side fanatics who existed during the Galactic Civil War. After the death of Darth Vaderduring the Battle of Endor, the Acolytes of the Beyond purchased what they believed was the fallen Dark Lord of the Sith's lightsaber, intending to return it to him in death.

During the Battle of Endor, the Dark Lord of the Sith Darth Vader was killed after sacrificing his life to kill his Sith Master: Darth Sidious, the Emperor of the Galactic Empire.[2] Several months later, the group known as the Acolytes of the Beyond were in contact with a junk dealer on the planet Taris named Ooblamon, who claimed to possess the red-bladed lightsaber that had belonged to the Dark Lord. Three Acolytes of the Beyond purchased the lightsaber from Ooblamon, intending to destroy it and return it to Vader in death Ooblamon was unsure if it was Vader's lightsaber, but the transaction was carried out nonetheless.[1]

oncafar and Wildcatbarry like this.
  4. SaintKenobi1322

SaintKenobi1322 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 17, 2013
    They bought it, and that was the last that was said, other than something about the desire to return it to its owner in death, so presumably, even if it was real (and that question is raised) they destroyed it.

That novel is mega-crap, IMO. I think that bit was put in there just to show that there is a 'Cult of Vader' out there looking for relics. I don't know the saber could have survived. Dumb if you ask me.

5. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    The main storyline of Aftermath was really bad. But I liked the Galaxy-spanning vignettes, including the Acolytes of the Beyond stuff. The whole book should have just been a series of loosely connected short stories like that. Forget Wexley and his mom.

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Hey how about the Prophets of the Dark Side where the leader crushes bath bombs and looks like Danny DeVito?

DarthHavok likes this.
  7. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    The blue saber that Obi-wan gave Luke that he took after his duel in ROTS which is the one that Maz had in a box and Rey picked up was "Vader's" saber for a short time.

Anakin turned to Vader when he pledged his allegiance to the Sith (Palps) after killing Mace W. So by the time he kills Padawans, and Jedi at the temple that's Vader, not Anakin anymore. When he kills the Trade Federation peeps, that's Vader, and when he duels with Obi-wan that's Vader.

So the blue saber was Anakin's, then Vader's, then Obi-wan's, then Luke's, then it was lost after a while in Bespin and found it's way to Maz and Rey picked it up, gave it to Finn, and when Finn lost it Rey force-picked it up before Kylo could force-pull it to him.

No need to know how it came to end up with Maz, unless this is a comic or EU side-story. It's now a Mcguffin, Kylo is searching for the saber.

dekaneas likes this.
  8. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    To quote a wise little orange alien, it's a good question, for another time.

Darth Dementor and dekaneas like this.
  9. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    The point that the endings of Rey's stick look like lightsabres is not new indeed
    However, why is her stick looking that similar to Darth Mauls and Plo Koons lightsabre?
    Did anyone ask Pablo yet about that? (...or was it simply some sort of design recycling)
    [​IMG]

oncafar likes this.
  10. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    just similar designs. familiarity goes a long way even if it's subliminal.

11. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    thejeditraitor "just similar designs. familiarity goes a long way even if it's subliminal."

...so, what's the message?

12. Darphus_Mon

Aug 23, 2003
    Remember to drink your Ovaltine?

WookieeRage likes this.
  13. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    I think this is not because of design recycling. There is even a spot on the stick which fits to the position of the buttons of the lightsabres
    Where did she get the stick from? Maybe the endings are lightsabers and she did not find out yet

14. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    Plo Koon found Ashoka Tano.

He also had an unnamed Padawan.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  15. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Wow. People really are desperate for there to be some type of connection between Rey and ANY known character(s). Sometimes a spade is just a spade.

It's an interesting design tidbit that the ends of Rey's staff look like lightsaber hilts that we've seen in the past, but that doesn't mean there's anything more to it than design recycling, nor do I think there should be/is going to be.

16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    My best guess is that the design similarities are there to foreshadow Rey's sudden mastery of the lightsaber at the end of TFA.

SaintKenobi1322 likes this.
  17. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015

[​IMG]

Wildcatbarry and Darphus_Mon like this.
  18. Darphus_Mon

Aug 23, 2003
    I hate to say it, but that would be kind of a fun idea. Didn't Rey take her staff to Ahch-to? I'd love to see a scene where Rey finds her Kyber crystal and Luke, out of nowhere, pulls out her staff and hands it to her, opens up a compartment, points to it, Rey shoots him a confused look, places the crystal in the compartment and then looks even more confused. Luke says, "fire her up." Rey says, "with what? There's no activator (button)." Luke smiles. "Use the force." She closes her eyes. Then a blade ignites. Then, a second later, a second blade ignites from the other end.

That staff is an ancient lightsaber she'd had with her the whole time. I believe Jakku is a lot like Egypt. Maybe not necessarily the Mecca that Jedha is (hmmmm, Jed-ha. Ja-kku. Both J planets...), but important in some fashion of origin for Jedi and/or sith. Enough that, not unlike Egypt, there are some serious artifacts buried there. Don't forget, rumor has it that Jakku wasn't always a desert planet. So the symbolism of Jakku once being a more force laden, living world with vegetation and then becoming a wasteland and junkyard (see Battle of Jakku) is not only a fun idea, but fascinating to ponder about.

P.s. just figured something out. As lightsabers, especially the ones associated with Skywalkers, tell their own story, what if the LFL SG has decided that Anakin's lightsaber will become the jedi baton of all the sequel films to come? Thus the reason they ditched the Luke's hand in space montage? Not to confuse that imagery with the Anakin to Luke to Rey to Finn (!!!!) to...? relay? As each new Jedi builds his/her/its own lightsaber, a new potential Jedi will inherit the Skywalker saber. Thus, Luke will have heirs and a lineage without having biological children.

[High fives self]

19. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    I like the idea of that ancient artifact. Maybe the staff "gets alive" when she gets close to the Jedi tree

Darphus_Mon likes this.
  20. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000

Maybe not such an unusual idea. I have mentioned before the concept art of the ancient lightsabres that had no power source, just a crystal embedded into a wooden hilt. A silent, erratic lightsabre powered just by the Force would be something new. What if Rey has to Macgyver her lightsabre out of what she can find at hand?

21. Darphus_Mon

Aug 23, 2003

I know I saw the discussion of old school lightsabers. I'm sure I got the idea of the button-less lightsaber from you. :)

22. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    Darphus_Mon Yes, I do ramble on and repeat myself on here a bit ;)

23. Darphus_Mon

Aug 23, 2003

No worries. We all do. :)

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  24. WattoIsAJedi

WattoIsAJedi Jedi Youngling

Sep 22, 2016

Indeed

Darth Smurf likes this.
  25. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    I certainly hope and believe EVIII will reveal what happened when Ren killed Luke's school of Jedi and what is the story with this lightsaber?

I mean they can't ignore it IMO, it's to much of a plot device to simply brush off. Someone either found it or was told to look for it and in the end it landed with Maz Kanata.