main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Hidden meaning in Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by HevyDevy, Apr 28, 2014.

1. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    “The bosses will do terrible things, terrible things to me if me going back there!”
    “You hear that?” “Yah.” “That is the sound of a thousand terrible things heading this way.”
    “He is to be... punished.”

///

Han: “I feel terrible.”

It states in the TPM script Jar Jar will be killed, before Qui-Gon claims ownership of him.

And the Jedi scaring Jar Jar into helping them is interesting when Vader will torture Han to lure Luke (out of fear for his friends).

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    (ignoring the EU and TCW) The Republic was presumably formed to ensure that the Sith would never return to power, yet it was through the Republic that the Sith ultimately returned to power.

3. Kuro

Kuro Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    Well, you see, it’a really a metaphor for Kierkegaardian existentialism. You see, Lucas brilliantly weaves poetical strands of effervescence in order to conjugate a luminous essence of spiritual being whilst also maintaining the epistemological balance of all things. Yet nor Lucas does not neglect the Hobbesian counterpoint, wherein the ontological perspectives of infinite causalities. In fact, by embracing the neoformalistic symptomology epitomized by Eisenstein and Godard, he has transcended the scope of the medium’s temporality, rejecting narrativity and transformatively evoking the echelons of syntagmatic scopophilia and the Pasolini-esque incongruities of coprophagia.

4. Kuro

Kuro Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    EDIT: Please delete this double post, which was accidentally posted in the wrong thread.

5. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Impressive.........most impressive.

6. ATMachine

ATMachine Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2007
    But what about the use of yellow water to put out a grass fire, or the conjunction of stones and glass as metaphors in the fashion of Fritz Lang?

Kuro and Tosche_Station like this.
  7. SithLord28273

SithLord28273 Jedi Youngling

Sep 22, 2016
    Star Wars to mean was more then light and dark or space battles or even comedy. It was about coming together to fight a greater evil than our selves and about family.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  8. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

"Syntagmatic". Thanks. I learned a new word.

Anyway, I've got so much I keep meaning to add to this fantastic thread; but it's finding the right way of going about it, isn't it?

One thing I seem to have KOTCS-style ants in my pants about it is Han. He was my favourite character growing up, and my name, "Cryogenic", is partially inspired by the freezing he undergoes in the dark middle of the OT. Well, I was just watching a "quote playlist" of quotes from the SW movies, and then I had a fresh insight. In addition to my essay meditating on the use of the Millennium Falcon, last year, in the first two trailers of "The Force Awakens" -- a movie very dependent upon Han and the iconography of the original trilogy -- I just wish to add...

"I'm out of it for a little while, everybody gets delusions of grandeur."

Madness! Cats and dogs living together!

Seriously, though...

That line! Not only amusing, but there is, I just realized, a very powerful symbolic dimension to it. To wit: Han is frozen for a brief while; and what happens? Luke is reborn and practically re-enters as a new character in ROTJ. He's right! But, moreover, Han is "out of it" for the next twenty years, and what happens? The prequels! A trilogy of immense operatic grandeur. Then Han reappears in the second trailer, a decade later, for "The Force Awakens", next to Chewie, inside his ship, and pronounces, "Chewie, we're home." And TFA is obviously a lot more grounded and OT-esque -- Star Wars, in a sense, brought back down to Earth. While, at the climax of the movie, Han dies, and a wilder, grander trilogy might be about to unfold yet again...

Kick Han out of your Star Wars -- freeze him, exclude him -- and Star Wars becomes a little wacky, a little cerebral, a little beyond its primitive "gunslinger" parameters. Bring him back, it reduces back down to something more kicky and Earthen again. Remove him once more, and, maybe, baby, a delusive grandeur starts to flood back in.

Even the first part of Han's line is all the funnier in light of TFA:

"Luke? Luke's crazy! He can't even take care of himself, much less rescue anyone."

Dishevelled Jedi on a cliff, who vanished and removed himself from all the action and didn't rescue the galaxy from being menaced by the First Order. A neat premonition in retrospect.

But not to entirely let the Han thing drop, there is a Han Solo surrogate in the PT, and that's Jar Jar. The vest, the sarcasm about the Force, the lone -- "solo" -- misfit. In graciously accepting that fan-made cast of Jar Jar in carbonite, which adorns the ILM reception area of the Letterman Digital Arts Center in San Francisco (see here: http://titanmagazines.com/t/star-wars-insider/features/featured/we-need-talk-about-jar-jar/ ), Lucas showed he could take a joke, was bigger than the criticism, and, perhaps most intriguingly of all, he seized upon the opportunity as to send out one more subtextual, meta-filmic clue that Jar Jar is Han, just as Han is Jar Jar. Look objectively at what happens and how each is constructed: Han undergoes an actual freezing in "his" trilogy, while Jar Jar is progressively frozen out from the PT; and each is essentially excluded from the other's trilogy/cosmogony (though the Gungans do show up, extremely briefly, at the end of ROTJ, as Naboo reappears in part of a montage that marks the moment the Empire is destroyed -- hmmm....).

But anyway, just that.

Star Wars is a matter of what's in the frame and what isn't; and where and when and for how long.

"The interesting thing about Star Wars—and I didn’t ever really push this very far, because it’s not really that important—but there’s a lot going on there that most people haven’t come to grips with yet. But when they do, they will find it’s a much more intricately made clock than most people would imagine." -- Lucas, 2005
    http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2005/02/star-wars-george-lucas-story

Ultimately ----> Star Wars is very carefully ordered.

Syntagmatic, indeed.

9. Pain and Suffering

Pain and Suffering Jedi Master star 3

Mar 8, 2015

There are a lot of long words in there, sir; we're naught but humble pirates.:p

Shaak Ti likes this.
  10. Ord Sorrell

Ord Sorrell Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 16, 2016
    Another fun read

11. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia
    Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Pseudopseudohypoparathyroidism
    Antidisestablishmentarianism
    Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis
    Floccinaucinihilipilification

Titin

And that is indeed some mellifluously loquacious purple prose you have going there

12. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Anakin: Obi-Wan is holding me back! I should be all-powerful!

Yoda to Luke: If you choose the quick and easy path, as Vader did, you will become an agent of evil.

Shaak Ti and Ord Sorrell like this.
  13. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Plagueis was able to use his powers to save others, but was unable to save himself from whatever Palpatine did to him. Palpatine was able to save Vader on Mustafar, but was unable to save himself from the Death Star II reactor.

Shaak Ti and HevyDevy like this.
  14. Manny Bothans

Manny Bothans Jedi Master star 1

Jun 12, 2013
    I apologize if this has been brought up before, but I was thinking about baby Anakin's line from TPM where he had a dream that he came back and freed the slaves. I always thought that was a plot thread left dangling.

But it perfectly ties in with the propehcy of him being the chosen one. He frees the many slaves of the galaxy once he destroys the Emperor.
    Lucas even punctuated this by adding the city of Theed to the victory celebration at the end of ROTJ where a Gungan clearly screams "Weesa freeeee!"
    So baby Anakin did free the slaves - from a certain point of view.

Shaak Ti and darklordoftech like this.
  15. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
  16. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Fans complained about TPM getting bogged down in economics and politics. In AOTC, Obi-Wan starts to talk to Anakin about economics and politics, and Anakin says, "Don't lecture me about economics and politics again."

17. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Lol.
    I wonder if Lucas was pondering that when he wrote it.

darklordoftech likes this.
  18. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    It would be amusing if so.

HevyDevy likes this.
  19. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    I never understood the complaints about politics in TPM. The whole Coruscant part isn't even that long.

Seeker Of The Whills likes this.
  20. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    TPM: The most powerful corporate and military power in the galaxy is terrified when they hear that Jedi Knights have arrived.

ANH: One of the people in charge of the most powerful weapon in the galaxy sees belief in The Force as a joke.

21. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Someone observed that "Sith" is an anagram for "this". I have observed that "Sith" is also an anagram for.... a certain terrestrial synonym of "poodoo".

Seeker Of The Whills likes this.
  22. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Palpatine tells Anakin, "I want you to be the eyes, ears, and voice of the Republic." As Vader, he was the eyes, ears, and voice of the Empire.

23. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    "Destroy the Sith and bring balance to The Force."

"End this destructive conflict and bring order to the galaxy." "Destroy the Emperor."

24. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    When Luke has the high ground, Vader says, "Obi-Wan has taught you well."

25. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Yup. In case you missed this...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]