main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Aliens, Hunters, Pirates & Justin Bailey: Metroid [General Discussion]

Discussion in 'Community' started by darklordoftech, Jul 2, 2013.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Even though it's set before Fusion, Samus will no doubt cameo in Metroid Prime: Federation Force, which comes out next month. Maybe there'll be hints as to the direction of future titles in terms of story, setting or character.

But, yes, we need a post-Fusion game. There's so much one can do with Samus and the mythology after that (and, yes, I still hope they move beyond the pirates, Metroids, Mother Brain, etc).

Corellian_Outrider and Life like this.
  2. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    Not sure if it is for all regions, but Metroid Prime: Blast Ball is a free download off the 3DS eShop. Not bad so far, did a few solo turns and then the training missions for Federation Force was unlocked. There is a brief mention of Samus in that.

I really liked the elements of Prime: Corruption where you get to explore other worlds and interact with the Federation forces. It would be nice if they did explore that side of things further and not having to invent new ways to bring back Ridley and Metroids.

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Downloaded the demo, hopefully I'll have time to play in a few days. Nice of them to release it as a full demo.

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  5. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Oh nice! I had forgotten all about it. Good to see that it is up to this stage of production.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Lovely soundtrack too.

7. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    My cousin's copy of Metroid 2 was the game that made me a gamer, so I'll always have a soft spot for this series. I played through Prime, Fusion and Zero Mission when they were released, but am mildly ashamed by the fact that I hadn't completed any of the others until recently. I own the lot though.

I finally completed the glorious Super on Saturday (coincidentally, the series' 30th anniversary) and started II yesterday. By then, Federation Force will be out.

8. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I've got Metroid Prime Federation Force and so far I am 4 missions in. Verdict so far… I am enjoying it. It is different but also connected to the Metroid universe. I can see the multi side of things can be fun but I have only stuck to the solo play until my friend picks it up.

Metroid Prime Hunters also showed up on the Wii U eShop. Finally can get that to my collection and now I have all the Metroid. Haven't tested it yet so be curious to find out how that translates to the big screen.

Oh, I also want to show off something I've been working on for some time now.
    [​IMG]

Happy 30th Samus!!

Been working on it between projects and finally at a point where I feel it is ready to show and to get feedback/input.

The2ndQuest and Life like this.
  9. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    The artwork looks good. I have no comments to make, other than that the entire thing looks like it is in soft focus. If it is deliberate, then good job. If not, then it still looks good. Has a dream-like quality.

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  10. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Thank you :) I see what you mean about the soft focus and that can easily be fixed.

I do intend to add colour, maybe a background… not sure what type of background yet but open to suggestions.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Background suggestions? The suit or ship would seem the obvious choice. A Metroid would be another possibility. Or hint at a boss behind her like Ridley or Mother Brain.

Or if you want to be more subtle, maybe try to evoke the creepy, simple rock patterns of the environment blocks in the NES game.

12. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Oooo… those are good ideas.

The rock patterns from the original game would be a good nod to the past. That has me thinking of Zero Mission in which there is more of a stealth segment where you are in the Zero Suit. Might play around with that.

Also got me thinking of the suit and maybe a tribute to the Return of Samus where you find the Metroid Hatchling as a possible artwork idea or something to add to this piece. It would be awesome if we had an official remake of that game.

13. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Let me know what Federation Force contributes to the lore.

14. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I'll put spoiler tags just in case for those that want to be spoiler free and I am still early in.

The story is set after Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. It addresses the effects of being dependant on the Phazon and having that resource gone now, the Federation having to look for new means to go toe to toe with the Space Pirates. You are part of a team (or go solo with drones) and go on missions to planets based in a star system where you are helping your outposts, uncovering ancient information and technology from a by gone era or stopping a space pirates presence in the system.
    Samus Aran is mentioned and active and there is a mission where it feels like you are indirectly assisting her or she had laid the ground work for you to go in and clean up.

There is a variety to the missions which keeps things interesting and bonus secondary objectives. It is different from other Metroid games but feels part of that universe. I have been playing it in short bursts in Solo mode and am enjoying it.

Life and darklordoftech like this.
  15. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Chozo?

16. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002

Something new. There has not been a name yet. The impression I get so far of the lore (you do get small snippets from a 'terminal' on each world) reminds me of the ancient science race from Bryyo in Corruption but probably something different altogether.

darklordoftech likes this.
  17. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I found it strange that the manga had Mother Brain become evil within Samus's lifetime. I thought about it and I concluded that Mother Brain was secretly evil for far longer. She created Ridley and the Space Pirates to carry out her evil plans while she pretended to still be on the Chozo's side.

18. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    It has been a while since I last read the manga. From memory, the pirates and Ridley had been about longer but Mother Brain improved upon them and gave them more of a purpose.

Mother Brain could have become Skynet in some way and secretly orchestrated things without the Chozo's knowledge until the pieces fell into place.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The Mother Brain never felt old to me. I liked the MP3 implication (I haven't finished MP3 yet so that I'm just speculating on early details) that she was stolen and repurposed by the Space Pirates. That they saw a need for guidance and a corrupted Mother Brain unit filled that need as well as creating Ridley and Kraid to carry out her will.

Life likes this.
  20. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    A Metroid thread! Awesome. The Prime Trilogy is all I've played actually, but they're definitely some of my favorite games ever. I love the lore of the whole series.

21. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    In Metroid NES, the Ice Beam is weaker than the normal beam while the Wave Beam is stronger. In Metroid Prime, the reverse is true.
    Me too. Chozo, Mother Brain, Ridley, Kraid, Space Pirates, Metroids, Phazon, etc.

22. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I really do enjoy the lore too. We were only getting glimpses of the overall state of the galaxy but it is expanding with each game we get and official material.

It is a shame that the Metroid film project from years ago did not pan out. I remember reading that it was stuck in limbo as they were having issues developing the screenplay and that Nintendo did not have the answers to all the questions they asked. I wonder if they had what we know now if that would have made a difference.

23. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    It seems to me that in the 2D Metroid games:

Mother Brain = Palpatine
    Ridley = Darth Vader
    Kraid = Tarkin
    Space Pirates = Stormtroopers

In the Prime games, the Space Pirates seem to be lead by "High Command", Ridley seems to be a being that gets assigned to wherever he's needed, Mother Brain seems to be an Aurora Unit stolen and corrupted by the Space Pirates, and Kraid is never elaborated upon, but concept art suggests that what I said about Ridley also applies to Kraid.

24. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
  25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So now we have these to look forward to:

There's gotta be a zero (suit) percent chance of these titles not linking together, narratively. Bridging the Prime Trilogy to the eradication order of Metroid II.

Plus, new amiibo:

[​IMG]

BTW- they're already taking pre-orders on the special edition for MSR (it includes a franchise sound selection CD).