main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Post technical questions and issues here. Yes, the layout is slightly different!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Sep 2, 2012.

1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Something strange, no big deal, I'm sure it will work itself out...

I can see that wocky is the latest post in the General Election thread (and it reads as unread), but when I open the thread, harpua's post (which I had already seen) is the last post.

I checked wocky's profile, and I can see his last comment on his Comments tab...but when I follow the link, it doesn't show up in the thread.

Tried the standard clear cache/cookies fix, but still not showing up.

And it's the only thread I'm having problems with. Getting all the latest posts in, say, the NFL and MLB threads.

(no, I don't have wocky on ignore)

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I had that same problem, and I can see the post on Tapatalk.

3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    BlueJedi posted, and now I can his and wocky's post on the next page. Fixed itself, I guess.

4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah, that's a phenomenon that happens on rare occasions - as you noticed, it sorts itself out once there's another reply. I've seen something similar happen on another Xenforo-based forum I browse so it may just be a weird software thing.

5. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    I updated it. Tapatalk seems to get worse with every update.

The problem remains though so I think it's somehow got confused between my desktop reading and my Tapatalk reading.

No idea why it lists when I post though.

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I don't use it so I'm really no help on this one.

Grimby ?

7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I wouldn't put it past Tapatalk to just be inherently bad with notifications. I don't ever use them on there, but sometimes I get a similar situation with PM alerts. I'll get an alert that I have a message, read the message, then go to my dropdown from my name and see I have one unread message. Once I've read it the second time then the alert finally goes away.

So with posting notifications, there could just be some sort of delay that results in duplicate notifications. Or it could just be extra sensitive for whatever reason.

8. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I can confirm that Tapatalk notifications are incredibly bad. Sometimes they work right. Sometimes they pull stunts like notifying you of your own posts or sending you notifications for threads that you never subscribed to. And then other times, they just quit working completely with no indication of what might be wrong. I'll never figure out why I continue to put up with them. :p

9. Snokers

Snokers Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2015
    This is probably a common one but I want to provide a link to my fanfic in my signature but I want it to just be the title of the story as the link, whats the code I need to use?

Many thanks!

10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I can't recall if you can use BB Code in sigs or not - try {url=location}title{/url}, but in your code replace the '{}' with '[]'.

11. Snokers

Snokers Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2015
    Problem solved, I worked it out a few minutes after posting. Thanks anyway LAJ_FETT

12. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Glad you got it!

13. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    BBCodes are currently enabled for signatures. Images and other embeddings are disabled, however.

14. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Just witnessed a database error.

15. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I don't see anything in the server log for today, but it was probably related to the backup as that would have started around the same time.

16. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    I just wanted to update with my query from the other day, Tapatalk has a setting in a tab called "Auto Follow" that holds the setting for including posts you make. You can turn it off.

Also some annoying features are present-I woke up to see that some threads I was reading now were included in my notifications despite not following them.

Again these are managed in the Auto Follow tab.
    Silly settings include:
    Following a thread if you like a post, reply to a post or even comment in that thread.

Why Tapatalk does this I don't know.

17. Hawt for Rey

Hawt for Rey Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 14, 2015
    Okay I was gonna look up some of my earlier posts:
    http://boards.theforce.net/search/23825943/?page=5

I know I wrote quite a bit more of them pre-May, and I registered in November 2015 - the oldest showing on the list are from December 2015.

So either earlier posts aren't showing (blank page when clicking on "older posts"), or a lot are missing inbetween.

Woud there any reliable way of displaying all of them, or finding older ones (depending on which is the case)?

18. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
  19. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    Is anyone else having a lot of problems accessing the site today?

20. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I've had some slowness but that could also be my connection. i don't see any issues in the Server Error Log for today.

21. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Ah, okay, so there are issues besides mine.

Been posting story content to a new post on the Fan Fiction forum, in increments of about 2000 words, and I cannot now access it, as the link drops me out of tFN, and into a Yahoo error handling webpage. Other tFN links around my post, whether forums or story posts, are working fine.

22. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Are you talking about "Night of Terror"? If so, I can't access it either. When I click on it, Firefox gives me the error "The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading."

Please tell me that it's not this issue all over again. Actually, on second thought, please DO tell me that it's the same issue, because that issue had an easy fix: rebooting the server. :p

23. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Yep, that's the one.

My Internet Explorer dumps me onto Yahoo, and my Firefox gives me the same message yours gave you, "The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading."

Findswoman likes this.
  24. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    The prior issue was also discussed in this thread; the first such post is HERE, and discussion continues over the next several pages.

Findswoman likes this.
  25. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I've emailed Grimby on the issue. I tried the thread in Firefox and just got a blank screen.

Findswoman and Sith-I-5 like this.