main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Snoke Theories

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Lulu Mars, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    He's one of the great mysteries of the new trilogy and at this point, just about anything seems possible.

Personally, I'm quite fond of the idea that Starkiller Base foreshadows Snoke's plans for Kylo and/or Rey. Just as SKB drains stars of energy to get power, he might be planning to drain these Force users of their energy to prolong his own life.
    This could be an ancient dark side technique that only Snoke knows about and that Luke has found clues to on Ahch-To.
    Also, it would tie in nicely with ROTS's talk of cheating death and the dark side of the Force being a pathway to many abilities that some consider to be unnatural.

Thoughts? Other ideas?

Padme501st and Darth Dnej like this.
  2. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001
    I think it is too early to tell at this point without seeing at least one more film . There wasn't much of Snoke in the The Force Awakens, other than the transmissions. The only clues there is that he is Force-sensitive, probably master-level, and might have some kind of disfiguration to his face. I personally didn't read too much into his desire to train Rey; Palpatine had the same idea to train Luke.

Still, I wish his name could be changed. For some odd reason "Snoke" reminds of an amalgam of "snorting coke".

Darth Basin, Alienware and Seagoat like this.
  3. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Well, maybe that's what he's doing off camera ;)

It is indeed much too early to conclude anything with certainty. All we can do is speculate!

Darth Basin likes this.
  4. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    His secret goal is advancement in disco technology so he can get funky. That's where Lando secretly is. Helping him design swag. Sadly the furthest they've gotten is holograms that display in full colour rather than just blue. But with the grandson of the Chosen One, Snoke plans on teaching him some groovy new swings so their fabulous dances can convert others to their cause of advancement of high tech disco

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I... wouldn't hate that, actually.

6. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    It's the same plan he has every night Pinky; try to take over the world!

7. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    True dat.

Darth Basin likes this.
  8. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I think the title explains itself. Do you want Snoke to be completely independent or part of the scheme from the past two trilogies?

9. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    I'd like to think he's a new force, so to speak. Maybe he found some old Dark Side holocrons somewhere. He doesn't have to be a Sith, does he?

Sarge likes this.
  10. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Mar 8, 2000
    I think it'd be cool if they were old rivals, but Palpy was too strong for Snoke to rise to power. It'd be interesting to see that Anakin's redemption actually caused the rise of the First Order.

11. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    I'd like there to be something that links him back to the originals in some way. Linking him to Palpatine would be the most obvious choice.

Darth Basin and S2N2 like this.
  12. The Bops

The Bops Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    Maybe he's Sifo-Dias!! :eek:

13. quanchi112

quanchi112 Jedi Knight

Jun 4, 2014
    Snoke will be greater than Palpatine. Mark my words.

14. Ord Sorrell

Ord Sorrell Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 16, 2016
    I asked for premission to this forum just so I could answer this question....

I think it's a good one..

First my answer... I am going to take the easy route here and be cheap with my answer. I think ultimately writers should do whatever it is with Snoke that would make for the best, and most affective storyline...

But I wanted to throw this opinion out there too..

I do NOT believe, that Snoke has to be linked to the OT, or Palpatine, or any previous characters or storyline, to be an interesting and engaging character, nor does Snoke have to be linked to those things to make for a great story.

I think writers can make Snoke original, new, and without relationship to any previous Star Wars fiction and still end up with a very engaging and affecting story

15. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I don't think Snoke has to be linked to Palpatine (either as Plagueis or anyone else), but it'd be cool if he was, in some way.

Some people feel he has to be somehow, because otherwise it creates a disconnect with the rest of the Saga, and I can understand why. But I don't really agree there. The Saga, in my mind, is as George Lucas said: The Tragedy of Darth Vader. We have his fall (PT), his redemption (OT) and his legacy (ST). Kylo - and possibly Rey - are what connects the ST to the rest of the Saga; along with Luke and Leia of course.

16. Ord Sorrell

Oct 16, 2016
    hmm What is Snoke's plan.. well specifically who knows.. I could come up with theories but they'd probably be so far off base at this point...

but GENERALLY speaking... Snoke wants total domination over the entire galaxy, more power and more life.. (what everyone wants no?)

17. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

It'd bring Kinect Star Wars back into canon

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    This is true and only adds to my advocacy of it... in increments.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  19. Ord Sorrell

Oct 16, 2016
    The KEY.. to figuring out Snoke's plan, is the fact he considered Kylo Ren to be the right mix of Light and Dark...

When we analyze Sith, or Dark Force users, we have to remember they are completely self serving.. even in the apprentices they choose. They don't choose their apprentices according to how well developed they think they will turn out, they also do not have their apprentices' best interests in mind... The Masters only have their best interests in mind.. .. SO .. Masters choose apprentices for the potential they have in executing the orders and will of the master. Helping the master succeed in executing his plans, and to enforce their will..

So.. Snoke wants Kylo to have the right composition of Light and Dark .. WHY? how would that be useful to Snoke? figure that out and you have a window into Snoke's Plan...

Why would Snoke need someone with the "right balanc"? That is the key..

maybe someone who is remains just good enough to prompt others to venture to try to turn him back, therefore bringing them to Snoke?

Maybe the "right mix" to be used as bait in smoking out other Jedi/Force sensitive users? If Kylo was all dark, everyone would write him off and just try to destroy him..

Unless Snoke is trying to bring about a new age of grey Jedi/Sith, or somehow attempt to balance the force under his regime?

20. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I would like for him to be connected to Palpatine (mainly in the Plagueis way), I think it could be an effective bit of continuity-BUT I would be perfectly happy still if he wasn't.

As was mentioned, as long as there's some sort of compelling story/motivation for him to be doing all he's doing, that's the main thing I hope for. I'm just really hoping he's not just some random new character we're all suddenly supposed to care about, just "cos we need a mysterious villain pulling all the strings, all behind-the-scenes like!"

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    He looks decrepit, I'd hope he has been through the PT - OT in some manner to tie the whole thing together.

Or just this:

[​IMG]

22. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Mar 8, 2000
    We can just end the discussion - I think it's obvious that BigAl6ft6 is undeniably correct.

TheOneX_Eleazar and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  23. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I'd like him to be connected to either Palpatine or the history of the Sith in some capacity to create a narrative thread that runs from I-IX, but I'd rather he not be Plagueis.

Jar-Jar Binks likes this.
  24. The Bops

The Bops Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    I think the key to this trilogy is the quest for balance. Light AND dark. ST: Dark Side prevails. OT: Light Side prevails. Still, the conflict did not end. Perhaps in the ST, Balance will prevail.

I like your points, Ord... But I have one objection. Palpatine seemed to think Anakin would eventually surpass him, and didn't have an issue with it at the time. (To Yoda): "Darth Vader will be more powerful than either one of us".

25. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Maybe he needs Kylo to power some sort of force weapon?

Ord Sorrell likes this.