main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. OridgeTridge

OridgeTridge Jedi Knight

Feb 13, 2016
    In either canon or Legends, what was the catalyst for the Sith breaking off from the Jedi? I suspect that could be a starting point for deciding on the catalyst for a scenario where the Sith are around first and the Jedi break off from them.

Sorry I'm asking questions to which everybody here already knows the answers. I'm mostly into just the movies and a few of the games. I haven't read as many of the novels or comics as it seems most of you folks have!

2. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Don't worry; we all have different areas of knowledge.

Mine is dodgy after the Black Fleet Crisis, and before TPM.

I think jedi wanted to explore some teachings that were considered a bit too dark, and left to get on with it.

3. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Here's a quick and dirty summary: Around 7000 BBY, a number of Jedi did indeed go "in too deep" with experiments into the use of the Force that certainly crossed the line. Flushed with hubris, this cabal revolted against the Order, earning the moniker of Dark Jedi, and proceeded to wage a century of warfare against the civilized galaxy known as the Hundred Year Darkness. Eventually they were defeated by the combined efforts of the Jedi and the Republic, but instead of being executed for their crimes, they were banished to the Outer Rim, when they eventually found Korriban (one could argue that the dark side drew them there).

As it happened, the species of sentient beings known as Sith had been living on Korriban for many millennia, long before the Rakatans' Infinite Empire found and enslaved them. When the Dark Jedi exiles found the Sith, they did what powerful dark siders do best, and used their superior powers to subjugate the natives and, eventually, to teach the naturally Force-sensitive beings in those higher techniques. Eventually, the two species practically merged, with the Sith inheriting the original Exiles' hunger for power and desire for vengeance against the Republic, such that when hyperspace explorers accidentally discovered Korriban in around 5000 BBY, the means to do so practically fell into their lap. The Sith and Jedi have been at loggerheads off-and-on ever since.

No worries mate, that is precisely what this thread is for.

4. OridgeTridge

OridgeTridge Jedi Knight

Feb 13, 2016
    How's this for a scenario?

For thousands of years before the Republic, the densely-populated Core Region of the galaxy was carved up among warring states ruled by Sith aristocrats. The Barony of Sion, the Kaanite Dominion, the Duchy of Vectivia, and so on. Starving masses slaved away in the ore mines and on farms, entirely subservient to the whims of the ruling Sith and their desire to enlarge their already-obscene fortunes. Interstellar journeys took years to complete, with all starships relying on the antiquated system of hyperspace cannons.

By 25,200 BBY, the Sith states were locked into two massive alliances. Think of the events leading up to World War One and you're halfway there. A desperate freedom fighter from the oppressed underclasses assassinated a Sith noble. This sent the great powers tumbling into a conflict which saw an unprecedented deployment of slave armies, fleets of turbocruisers, and roving packs of Sith crusaders. These were the Force Wars.

After many years of widespread fighting, the crowns rolled in the gutter with no-one left to pick them up; the Sith nobility had lit itself aflame. In the power vacuum that remained, some of the surviving serfs (who escaped the Sith headhunters by way of their latent Force abilities) decided that they must never repeat the mistakes of their bloodthirsty old masters. They utilized a propulsion technology developed during the war, the hyperdrive, to spread a new message of hope and justice across the galaxy. They came to be known as the Jedi Knights.

By 25,000 BBY, the Knights called their new domain the Republic.

5. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    That sounds like a very interesting scenario for, frankly, an entire series of books. You want my honest opinion? Keep it to yourself and tweak it as you think of more things to flesh it out with—but with an eye toward making it an original work rather than as Star Wars AU.

In the meantime, there's plenty of other ways to indulge your AU desires while still building up your writing skills.

OridgeTridge and Sith-I-5 like this.
  6. Child_of_a_Jedi

Child_of_a_Jedi Jedi Master star 1

May 11, 2015
    I haven't read most the, now, Legends literature. After Return of the Jedi, did people know that Anakin and Vader were one and the same? Did the rebel leadership know?

7. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Child_of_a_Jedi I have moved your question to the fanfic writer's desk where questions like yours should be posted.

8. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    Do we know where in the Galaxy Lothal or Atollon are? All I can find is "Outer Rim" which covers a huge area.

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    At least by the time of the Jedi Academy trilogy it was mostly unknown to the general population to my understanding. I think Luke had told the leaders of the Alliance about it shortly after RotJ.
    I really wish that they could ad 'northern', southern', 'western', 'eastern' or 'something else' to that "Outer Rim"/"Where ever" when they describe planets/sectors locations.

10. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    That would would be helpful. I'm trying to decide if it's plausible to have the Rebels cast interact with my OCs. I've established a location for my fanon planet Merkesh on the Hydian Way near the Corporate Sector. I suppose in the absence of any solid information I can put those two planets wherever I want and ret-con if I have to. :D

Gamiel likes this.
  11. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000

Luke and Obi-Wan knew, and Palpatine, of course, but thinking of how little people knew about Vader, I suspect the answer is no. Leia didn't know until Luke told her, and she was his prisoner. I don't remember at what point in Legends anyone found out.

And my own question: who suceeded as head of Starfighter Command after the capture of Jan Dodonna at Yavin? By the time of the X-wing books, I think it was Salm, but I'm sure there were a few in between...

12. Katana_Sundancer

Katana_Sundancer Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2009
    I don't think General Salm was head of Starfighter Command at all. He headed a wing of Y-wings - three squadrons, and was stationed on the same training base as Rogue Squadron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    So we don't know who suceeded Dodonna?

14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I know that some SW fans confuse the dark side and the rest of the Force* with the concepts of chaos and order; and say that the dark side is just chaos and the rest of the Force is order. This made me thinking and I was wondering if we have seen any group, canon** or fanon, that have a dualistic chaos and order philosophy/belief system

* yes I don't like the term 'light side'
    ** here meaning both old and new canon.

15. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    The only thing I can think of is the Unifying Force that is concept that the Force wasn't divided into dark and light, but that intent and for what purpose you use the Force matters. Though I don't think that's quite what you are looking for?

Ewok Poet and Gamiel like this.
  16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Not really but still: thanks.

mavjade likes this.
  17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Some questions:

* Some of the species in GFFA seems to just be humans with a skin colour that is impossible in RL (like green or blue); is it possible that they are just humans and that the range of human skin colours are broader in GFFA then in RL?

* I am looking for alternative terms to use instead of mecha. I know that WH40k have 'Imperial Knights' and Exalted use 'warstrider'; do people know of any other or have any suggestions of their own?

18. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    In regards to the first statement, that's a common trope for low-budget/low-imagination writers/producers/etc. known as "rubber face aliens" and whatnot.

As for the second, the term depends on the context. For example, the Iron Man suit would be most accurately described as "power armor" while a piloted vehicle with legs could be a "mobile suit" if you're into anime or simply a "mech" if you're, say, a Mechwarrior fan. My personal opinion is that legged mechs are situational at best and fairly impractical overall; wheeled, tracked, or repulsorlift-equipped tanks are much more viable combat vehicles that have the benefit of being less complicated.

19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I am looking for words for machinery more along the line of the Gundam's mobile suit and Avatar's AMP suit then Iron-mans suit (which I personally don't consider a mecha, it is "just" a power armour).

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Since the Planet thread don't seem to give me any answers I repost this question here: I am planning to use the Lahara sector, have anybody used or have any fanon regarding itor any of the known planets* in it?

* Agamar; Chabosh; Chrellis; Gondagali; Gandolo IV; Hazzard; Horn Station; Kebolar; and Oorn Tchis

----------------------------

What kind of environments or environmental variations would people like to see more of among SW planets?

I am asking this mostly as an inspiration question for myself since I am planning to have my characters moving between some worlds that have little-to-non description and want suggestions how to describe those worlds.

------------------------

Also: I am still looking for more alternative terms to use instead of mecha if people have them.

21. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    There is a Duchy on Hazzard. Also, the police are fairly useless, and go through a lot of vehicles.

Snocone, Raissa Baiard and Gamiel like this.
  22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Is that a the Dukes of Hazzard reference?

23. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Too soon?

Snocone likes this.
  24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Would not say that* and that gives me an angel on to have approach Hazzard.

* I'm actually not certain what you mean to tell the truth.

25. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Angle. An angle to approach.

An angel is what Natalie Portman looks like to tired little boys who have spent a day cleaning Watto's shelves.

I would probably elaborate on that Dukes of Hazzard reference myself, if I ever had had to mention the place.

Snocone and Gamiel like this.