main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Palpatine calls them stormtroopers in his Declaration of a New Order speech, a day or two after Order 66.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Source? I can't recall where that happens.

3. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Remember this from Rebels?
    [​IMG]

I understand it being suggested this event occurred very, very soon after O66. The Grand Inquisitor was present, and we know from Ahsoka he was in place around that time as well. Things were rolling out fast. We learn from Bottleneck that the new armor tended to roll out in waves from the Core outward. Just as in TCW we see the ROTS-style armor being worn in early phases by some squads before it became standard, and concurrent with other phases. New wave was likely already in production at the time of ROTS, and then was rolled out immediately to key posts as a symbol of change, and others began to be rolled out in time.

4. patrickurrutia

patrickurrutia Jedi Master star 1

Feb 14, 2007
    Is that one Force Awakens one shot comic book of how C3PO got the red arm, is the comic book any good or kinda dumb?

5. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015

My opinion is, it's kind of dumb. If you read the synopsis you know exactly how things are going to play out, there's not really a whole lot to it. I guess the art's ok.

Gorefiend likes this.
  6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Have I understood it right that the guy below is a Kage warrior?

[​IMG]

7. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    Yep.

8. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    On a not-totally-disconnected tangents, I've been doing a chronological watch/read-through of the canon era of Episode 1 up to Rogue One in prep for, well, Rogue One. It's allowed me to revisit stuff like A New Dawn and Tarkin I hadn't read in a couple years, with additional hindsight and insight concerning the overall Star Wars Story, and its directions. I'm at Servants of the Empire: Edge of the Empire now, and I've gotta say, it's been an excellent, surprisingly coherent ride.

Following TPM, Obi-Wan and Anakin showed Anakin ready to walk away from the Order, and his developing relationship with Palpatine.

Then AOTC happened (including the DS plans), and also TCW (which introduced Ahsoka, Rex, and using Kyber crystals as superweapons).

Following that, I read Ahsoka's adventure, a first confrontation with an Inquisitor, her meeting up and getting a mission from Bail Organa, and an interlude with the Grand Inquisitor.

Then, getting a story about Cham Syndulla in Lords of the Sith where Hera is namedropped, then read a short story where RAE SLOANE is introduced, then read a short story where Hera is introduced in her work on Ryloth, then see developments in the Imperial structure and hierarchy in Tarkin, also further development of the Death Star's development over Geonosis and mentioning the different teams involved in its establishment, and also the story involves political power plays that directly play into the story Bottleneck, which also introduced Vidian, and gets SLOANE a promotion, which leads into A New Dawn, which picks up and follows Hera and introduces Kanan and expands on the idea of individual rebellions, and puts them both into conflict with SLOANE, who (through them) discovers more Imperial power plays and deception, and uses it to get a step up.

And now the Servants of the Empire series where we begin to see more of the Empire's POV, we meet Arindha Pryce, and see how individuals in the outer planets are being directly affected, and then we'll have Hera and Kanan swoop in, and meet Ezra - and their adventures will call the attention of SLOANE(in the Kanan comic), the Grand Inquisitor, and then Tarkin, Ahsoka, and... Vader.

And now Season 3 of Rebels with more hierarchy, the return of Pryce, Tarkin, and... Thrawn.

And then we'll get some more story going on behind the scenes with Catalyst, which will all lead into the culmination of all of this in Rogue One.

This is good stuff, guys.

9. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    edit: never mind

10. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Do Amphistaffs have emotions? Do they mind being used as weapons?

JediMatteus likes this.
  11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Have SW any non-human species that have evolved from water birds?

12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
  13. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Do the Sipsk'ud count? :p They're referred to as "mallards" in-universe (Abel G. Peña's Lone Wolf, which I just double-checked) and "ducklike" out-of-universe (endnotes to a Hyperspace story, which I can't).

The Strutters have webbed feet, so I'll toss them in as another possibility. I haven't watched Ewoks but they look like a Dr. Seuss version of flamingos to me!

14. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Why does Savage Opress have a surname when Maul and Feral don't?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    some of the species in GFFA seems to just be humans with a skin colour that is impossible in RL (like green or blue); is it possible that they are just humans and that the range of human skin colours are broader in GFFA then in RL?

Kylun likes this.
  16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I think that's exactly it. Biology textbooks love to use the case of Methemoglobinemia for genetic cases of unusual skin color (in this case, blue) or carotenosis for dietary changes in skin color (orange). There are others (certain fungal infections can cause skin to turn all sorts of colors... [face_worried]). So who knows -- maybe mineral X on planet Y can cause your skin to turn purple or something.

spicer, Vthuil, Kylun and 1 other person like this.
  17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    If I remember right so did Obi-Wan describe the jedi as naïve in the A New Hope novelization. If this is right, do anybody have the quote where he says that?

18. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Not sure about naive - is this maybe the quote? It's from Chapter V in the Omnibus edition - "In many ways they were too good, too trusting for their own health. They put too much trust in the stability of the Republic, failing to realize that while the body might be sound, the head was growing diseased and feeble, leaving it open to manipulation by such as the Emperor." It's spoken while Luke is with Ben in his house.

19. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Pretty sure they are "just" animals and given how they are breed for the whole thing, the Vong must have tempered with their brains.

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do we know of any sort of Imperial regulatory bureau for food, beverages, drugs, agriculture, etc.?

Findswoman likes this.
  21. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    "The Imperial Board of Foodstuffs and Consumables was an organization of the Galactic Empire that monitored the usage, quality, and safety of various foods, medicines, and other such substances."

"The Ministry of Agriculture (Ag Ministry) was a government department of the Galactic Empire that was tasked with managing agricultural and horticultural production throughout the galaxy."

22. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    I'm looking for some advice:

Is there any difference between the paperback Shattered Empire and the Hardcover?
    Can anyone take pictures of both or one or the other if you have them? I've never seen the Hardcover.
    Which one would you recommend?

23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I can imagine individual amphistaffs having about as much personality difference as certain animals though, some being more even-tempered, some being more belligerent, and it being possible to befriend them, as per Jacen's "I'd like you to meet some new friends of mine."

Gorefiend, Gamiel and Force Smuggler like this.
  24. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    This might depend on the print edition you get for either. I believe -- and I could be wrong -- that any version of the paperback you buy, including the first print, would have "THE NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER" across the top, whereas the original hardcover would look like this:

[​IMG]

And it goes without saying any post-Disney copy would have the big gold banner of shame across the top.:p

25. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Barriss_Coffee Good response but I was asking about Shattered Empire not Shadows of the Empire!