main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Jason Fry Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 4, 2012.

1. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003

Not an error.

2. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010

So his species has been changed then? Interesting.

3. darthosaka

darthosaka Jedi Master star 1

Oct 25, 2012
    That's really disappointing.

4. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

I found the Anzati to be a stupid race anyway. I can think of better ways to make Space Vampires and the Anzati just weren't it.

5. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I never liked the Anzati much either.

6. darthosaka

darthosaka Jedi Master star 1

Oct 25, 2012
    I find the lack of Anzat fans in this thread disturbing.

spicer and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  7. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    The Anzati grew on me - mostly because of Republic - but honestly, they were a pretty tough sell for as long as I can remember.

spicer and JediBatman like this.
  8. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    The Anzati DO exist in the new canon, though - if the Wook is to be believed we see an Anzat mob enforcer in the Rebels comics.

darthosaka likes this.
  9. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Ohhh so they're like, those wannabe vampire fans in real life who file their teeth? Combined with a tentacle fetish?

(This is going to become one of those retcons that gets out of hand, isn't it? I miss those.)

10. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    Another Complete Locations alien question, if you don't mind. The Outlander Club shows some burly four-armed aliens who are identified as "kiughfid dealers." I'd think "kiughfid" would be their species, but it's written in lower case whereas SW alien species tend to be proper nouns, with the first letter capitalized. So is "kiughfid" the species? The game they're dealing for? Something else? I have to say they look an awful lot like Besalisks to me. Are they Besalisk dealers for the game of kiughfid?

11. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    Also in Complete Locations on the Outlander Club page, Nyrat Agira has been misnamed Agira Nyrat again. Does that mean she is canonically Agira Nyrat or is that a mistake left over the previous book.

darthosaka likes this.
  12. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Here's a picture:
    [​IMG]

The Wook apparently recanonized them based on Leeland Chee's tweet that "Fair to assume species names are the same unless you hear otherwise. Same goes for planets. And ship models.” But since it looks slightly different from standard Anzati ( most art shows them having their tubes concealed unless they're feeding instead of letting them dangle, and they're usually assassins instead of hired goons) I think the artist was just drawing a generic alien that happened to look a bit like Anzati, without intending to recanonize anything. But that's just my opinion.

13. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Kiughfid is most likely the game they're dealing, based on the capitalization rule you cite and the fact that, yeah, those guys look like Besalisks.

Unless the writer or illustrator ID'ed that green guy as an Anzat, that might be an overreach by the Wook.

Agira Nyrat/Nyrat Agira was inherited from previous editions. Wasn't aware there was an issue with the name.

If you've got other possible mistakes in Complete Locations, lemme know. Aware of the # of moons issue for Naboo and a couple of typos on the Cantina page, but otherwise am all ears.

darthosaka and Hamburger_Time like this.
  14. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    In this case, "the Wook" means me, so I feel compelled to defend my position. This conversation with author Martin Fisher confirms that illustrator Bob Molesworth intended that alien to be an Anzat.

15. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006

That green guy looks alot better than the original design.

Do you happen to know LelalMekha who's in charge of Star Wars Databank?

16. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Not the foggiest.

17. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I think it used to be Pablo? I don't get the impression it's him anymore because some of the entries, when compared against each other, sound like they were written by more than one person (that is, the writing style differs). Except for the parts that were copied and pasted from the old Databank entries, in which case those are Pablo's.

Hmmm. I think I remember someone else saying they used to write for it. Dan Wallace? Jason, you even? It was someone.

Who writes and who's in charge, of course, are not one and the same. Presumably the Story Group is in charge at the end of the day I guess.

18. AV-6R7

AV-6R7 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    I've got one: the book says that Malakili started the Crystal Moon Restraunt with Porcellus after Luke killed his rancor, which contradicts his post-RotJ activities in Aftermath: Life Debt, where he wandered the Dune Sea before being recruited by Cobb Vanth to work in Freetown. Can the restraunt stuff be assumed to take place after his Aftermath vignette?

19. AV-6R7

AV-6R7 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    Also, I know this portion has been unchanged since its original publication, but can the Mos Easley Cantina's Nimbanel bartender (Husklf) be assumed to be the same guy who worked there during the Clone Wars?

20. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    I think the restaurant thing could still work, but in a perfect world the Life Debt material would be used as more relevant. Wish I'd known the rancor had a name back then!

Thanks for the clarification re the Anzat. Good by me.

DB ultimately reports up to SG, yes. I did a lot of entries for them over the last couple of years but am far from alone in such efforts, and the Rebels stuff tracking S3 is done internally.

21. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
  22. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    [​IMG]

darthosaka likes this.
  23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Mm, Core World superiority...

Also, genuinely didn't realize the thing from the Fel comic was grav ball. I think of that scene often when discussing SW sports, but I always thought it was something else.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

24. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    Say Jason, can I just say thanks? Of all the many, many contributors to Star Wars canon over the decades I have to say I admire guys like you, Abel, Dan, and Leland most of all. You all squeeze the sweet retcon glue that keeps the canon from falling apart; in particular I REALLY like what you and all the other reference and supplement writers have done to weld Prequel-era and Bantam-era stuff together. Like any work where a part that comes chronologically earlier is written real-life later, there were contradictions aplenty, but you guys fit it together so well you can barely see the seams! =D=

25. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    I imagine it's a bit like managing the internet. The whole internet, all at once. :p

Hamburger_Time likes this.