main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - December 16, 2016

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by boomx2sjk, Mar 12, 2015.

Tags:
  1. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    that scene isn't in the film.

AndyLGR likes this.
  2. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    George Lucas canon: "...Elements originating with Lucas in the scripts, filmed deleted scenes, film novelizations, reference books, radio plays, and other primary sources were also G-canon when not in contradiction with the released films. G-canon overrided the lower levels of canon when there was a contradiction. (Wikipedia "Star Wars Canon" based on the links and sources listed there)

Then the deleted scene with Bail Organa and Mon Mothma in Episode III, founding the Alliance, also doesn't exist because it isn't included in the final film? :rolleyes:

3. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Yeah. That scene is irrelevant now. Ridiculous to claim it counts if it's superseded by a new film. If Biggs shows up in R1, that's the canon.

DL44Jo, cwustudent, TX-20 and 7 others like this.
  4. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    You keep holding on to that like it means anything anymore. I know that you've said your personal take is that it is still the way it is, but its not...

Regardless even in the nu-canon a deleted scene is going to count until overridden by a film. Bail, Mon Mothma - not overridden. Biggs - overridden.

cwustudent and AndyLGR like this.
  5. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Yeah - that's head canon territory. Pointless clinging to something the films themselves overrule (assuming Biggs is in R1 of course).

AndyLGR likes this.
  6. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    The George Lucas canon has now been superceded by Disney definition of the SW canon.

The Mon Mothma ROTS scene no doubt falls under the same category, but Disney were very astute IMO to go back and utlisise the same actress.

TX-20 and Satipo like this.
  7. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Yeah, could be a moot argument. Could end up being his brother Diggs.

Bail B. Baobab and Satipo like this.
  8. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    lol the Empire covers are the just the Japanese Posters with a different back drop

as for deleted scenes, way I see them is the Bail, Mon, Padme deleted scene is canon because I doubt that Lucasfilm will ever go back and do something set during ROTS that will render those scenes obsolete.

But something like when did Biggs leave or what did he do are open to change. The fact that they almost had him in Rebels is proof that they are willing to so. I always loved that deleted scene of expanding Biggs with Luke and get a feel of his relationship with him and their closeness. But it's kinda ridiculous as when Luke sees Biggs for the first time, it feels like it was a first meeting in a long while. Not "hey didn't I see you 1h30 ago?":p

One deleted scene I still consider canon is the Red Leader, Garven Dreis telling Luke he knew his father to then be killed by Luke's father is too ironic.:p

9. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Haha.

I know you're joking but it's definitely Biggs and Porkins there (or their stand-ins at least). Whether or not those two make the cut, who knows?

10. raefinnpoe

raefinnpoe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    lol....like space battleship yamato/starblazers.

kill of fighter pilot conroy bring in his twin brother 'corey conroy'

11. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    That deleted scene with Biggs can still be canon. Rogue One takes place just before ANH, literally. We don’t know when in the film this new “Biggs” will appear. He might just be in the background at the end, in which case Biggs would have joined the Alliance by then.

12. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    weezer wrote

You keep holding on to that like it means anything anymore.

Of course it does mean a lot, and not only to myself but to others as well.

And in the particular case of the Luke-Biggs Tatooine scene what's the point of their cheerful reunion in ANH when you remove the context this reunion is based upon? The Lucasfilm Story Group pledged that the original films remain absolute canon and whether you like it or not, that Tatooine scene is part of it - because of their reunion in ANH.

13. weezer

May 16, 2001
    No, no... Diggs never actually got in an x-wing after that. Realizing the shame that he brought on his family he passed on his helmet to his paternal twin (who shares his fashion sense), shaves off his mustache, and begins to hunt down Jedi lore across the galaxy in tribute to those that lost their life on Jedha, adopting the name Lor San Tekka.

10 part Marvel miniseries coming in May.

14. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I would imagine the last we see of any fleet will be the space battle. But I imagine the film bumps right up into the start of ANH. If Biggs plays any part in the space battle then I can't see how he'd have the time or inclination to visit Luke during the Tantive IV's boarding.

15. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    I hope we see Biggs and Porkins in that space battle, I've wanted to see more of those dead pilots from ANH for years.[face_waiting]

Revanfan1 and nightangel like this.
  16. weezer

May 16, 2001
    https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/713040277250805761

The scene doesn't explain the cheerful reunion. If anything it contradicts it. Luke squealing like a school girl about a guy he just saw a day ago? If you went into work after every weekend and greeted your co-workers like that they'd lock you up faster than Kanye.
    The films are canon. Deleted scenes aren't if contradicted by a flim. Doesn't really matter what I like.

Artoo-Dion and thejeditraitor like this.
  17. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    weezer

Thanks for the link. Pablo Hidalgo: " Some are [canon]. Some aren't. Case by case. Depends why they were cut."

In the particular case of the Toshi Station scene it's been thoroughly documented that it was deleted, so the story could flow faster.

And why shouldn't Luke be happy? His longtime friend Biggs just dropped dropped in shortly to say goodbye, but it became obvious they have rather different ideas about how to take their fate into their hands (in an earlier draft Biggs was actually rather pissed). So there is Luke at Yavin IV, Ben is gone, Solo is leaving and unexpectedly his longtime friend Biggs shows up.

Fact is they really didn't spent that much time earlier at the Toshi Station together, already there they hadn't seen each other in a long time.

18. weezer

May 16, 2001
    My final comment on the matter is at least Wormie is still canon, no matter what camp you fall in.

For that we can all be grateful.

Satipo likes this.
  19. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    There is also the possibility that Lucasfilm uses the same CGI tech they are rumoured to have used for Tarkin.

20. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Unlikely. "You want how much to put who in the movie? Here's $50 go down to Home Depot and do your best"

21. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    weezer wrote

My final comment on the matter is at least Wormie is still canon, no matter what camp you fall in. For that we can all be grateful.

I see, nobody seems to mind that certain characters that used to enrich the Star Wars Universe of George Lucas can retroactively be declared "Unperson" and some of us apparently somehow believe we get more while it's actually less.

Here is a video that speaks for itself, some pivotal scenes from 1984:

22. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    That is what I expect to be the case, or at least some kind of VFX magic.

23. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I can't wait to see Tarkin. Having seen some of the recent de-aging of Michael Douglas and Anthony Hopkins in Antman and Westworld respectively it's built my hopes up for Tarkin.

TX-20 and Satipo like this.
  24. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Even so, I don't see how it can't be easily reconciled. Maybe Biggs was back on Tatooine with a Rebel-sanctioned purpose?

25. weezer

May 16, 2001
    It could depending on where it ends up in the film. If he's in the attack at Eadu (which most consider to be prior to Scarif), there would probably be enough time for it to work out (he's got use it or lose it shore leave and he's not about to lose it). If he's part of the final space battle, which seems like it's going to lead right up to the point that Luke was watching in the skies, it would be a little more difficult.

Revanfan1 likes this.