main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Lightsaber Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DarthCeltic, Apr 5, 2016.

?

Favorite Lightsaber?

1. Anakin's Blue

31 vote(s)
    29.5%
  2. Luke's Green

31 vote(s)
    29.5%
  3. Kylo's Red

17 vote(s)
    16.2%
  4. Ben's Blue

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Leia's Blue

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  6. Rey's Yellow

18 vote(s)
    17.1%
  7. Dark Rey's Red

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    The Clone Wars made it seem like the Kyber Crystal in each lightsaber is a Force bonding element that the wielder could always sense if lost. This all makes me think that the lightsaber Anakin keeps breaking in the Prequels was always retrievable...it breaking on Geonosis really doesn't matter, as he can always sense it's whereabouts and repair it when need be. Obi-Wan not retrieving his in TPM is a bit different, though....it was probably disingrated in the melting pit core far below Naboo's surface.

But Anakin's would have been salvageable, because after the defeat of the Seperatists, he could have gone back for it. Unless I'm reading too much into it, and that only a knighted Jedi would have this residual bond to his weapon, the lightsaber crystal contains an elemental connection to the Force that's just like any other living organism in the Galaxy. Hence the reasoning of how and why Anakin's lightsaber was found, whether it be by it's original owner or someone else looking for it.

2. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015

I don't think you are that far off actually. But I will add that I also believe Padawan's also had the ability to form a bond as well. It all goes back to the construction of the Lightsabers and the rituals use. The Sith have their Rituals and the Jedi have theirs.

3. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    TK327 likes this.
  4. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    And the ring of power has a will of its own...

Kylo wants it, we needs it. Must have the precious. They stole it from us.

Rey must take the Lightsaber to Mordor!

5. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  6. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    That's hilarious. And honestly, I don't really need a less banal explanation than that.

I'm a bit surprised people keep demanding an explanation in the movie. Unless there's something really interesting about how the saber was found and passed around, I think it should be explained in a book or comic.

But this thread/subject doesn't seem to die, so who knows. To me it seems on the level of demanding to know where Anakin shopped for his Jedi outfits.

7. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    No, something that important needs to be explained in the movie. Some fans don't read books and comics.

8. Master of None

Master of None Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    True. I'm one of those fans

9. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    Wildcatbarry and nightangel like this.
  10. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    Maz is Snoke confirmed. [face_whistling]

11. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    LMFAO!!!!

12. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    There are literally hundreds of different ways the LS could've ended up in Maz's collection.

The question is, SO WHAT?

Maybe it's more important to know where did Luke get the crystal for his green saber (NOT!!!!).

Or where is Vader's Red Saber from ROTJ (NOT!!!!!!).

Or what happened to Darth Sidious LS from ROTS (NOT!!!!)

There is no value to the story, unless.....

.... yes I can see it now....

The reason Jar-Jar Abrams didn't put the scene is that the LS is actually a distraction. The main relic was Luke's severed hand.

See the reason this is the key information is that it will be revealed in EPIX that
    Rey is a female clone of Luke. Maz took Luke's DNA from Luke's hand and created a new super Jedi (Rey), but to hide it from Luke they changed it so that the clone was female and not male. You heard it here first!

AplagueOnTheWise and Sarge like this.
  13. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
    But then she wouldn't have had to ask the question to Han... "So who's the girl?"

14. SaintKenobi1322

SaintKenobi1322 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 17, 2013
    It isn't important to anyone other than us diehards. Originally, the saber was to have been the key to finding Luke. They scrapped that idea in favor of it being the flash drive BB-8 was carrying. All those rumors we heard about the saber being this important plot point went away when BB-8's memory stick became the McGuffin rather than the lightsaber.

The lightsaber's history is now a piece of trivia that is completely unnecessary for the broader audience. I will be shocked if the saber's history is spoken of on-screen again. 'A story for another time ...' is a tantalizing tease that is likely to be resolved in a novel, a comic or not at all.

How much do we overthink this stuff? Remember that GL had to go back and shoot a pick-up shot of Obi-Wan taking Anakin's lightsaber after their duel in ROTS. Early concept art of that duel showed Vader using a red lightsaber, not a blue one.

Sometimes, we put more thought into these details than the filmmakers themselves.

And I am not saying that the lightsaber isn't a plot point of some kind. It may be. But it is just as likely that its journey from Bespin to Maz's chest is going to be chalked up as 'movie magic' just like R2 waking up at the right moment.

What am I missing here? For anything other than a way to tie Rey to the PT and OT and as a great bit of nostalgia, why is the history of the Skywalker saber important?

Dra---, fishtailsam and Sarge like this.
  15. ObidioJuan

Nov 1, 2002

:confused:

No one in TFA knows this except whoever ordered or made the clone possible. Neither Leia, Han, Luke, Rey or others know of this. In this theory perhaps the only one would be Maz.

but I was attempting at being sarcastic. I hope no one in LFL is reading this and thinking it's a good idea.

16. SaintKenobi1322

Jul 17, 2013
    I thought of this after I posted ... consider the history of the Millennium Falcon. Could they do a fun comic series about it being stolen from Han and changing hands several times over the years? Of course they could. Is it necessary to the plot? Nope. We know everything we need to know. It was stolen, Han looked for it, couldn't find it, and he gets it back. Done and done as far as its role in the plot of TFA is concerned.

As much as I love lightsabers, they are just tools.

Sarge and fishtailsam like this.
  17. ObidioJuan

Nov 1, 2002
    Obiwan: "This is your life!"

AplagueOnTheWise likes this.
  18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Some tools keep you alive.

SaintKenobi1322 likes this.
  19. SaintKenobi1322

Jul 17, 2013
    A tool that is vital to survival is still a tool. Don't read too much into that. :)

20. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2016
    I think its a metaphorical knitting needle that knits the trilogies together :p

Wildcatbarry and Sarge like this.
  21. MYMUTHAZ

MYMUTHAZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 17, 2001
    that gif is amazing

22. ObidioJuan

Nov 1, 2002
    I think I need to add more emoji/punctuation to my posts to make sure the sarcasm comes across.

I stand by my previous posts. The story of the LS is best left to the comics or other EU, not to waste screen time in useless exposition that doesn't add to the story.

Like the very forced scene in ROTS where Yoda tries to "explain" about the Force ghosts.

"training I have...." yada yada.

Or the "have the droid memory erased" yada yada

or the whole Midichlorian scene in TPM

I can go on but hopefully you get the point.

The LS triggered Rey to learn about the Force (just like Luke did in ANH). That's all to it.

Sarge likes this.
  23. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    Comics and books suck. Star Wars is primarily a movie franchise.

24. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
  25. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    Rey refused to take the Saber after Maz's request to do so.

She was then captures by Kylo.

The Saber would've fallen into his hands had she taken it when Maz offered.

Then it flys to Rey out of the Snow avoiding Kylo.

Kylo has apparently been seeking and searching for this heirloom.

That is 2 times the Saber avoided going to Kylo.

Rey takes it the 2nd time.

Then at the end of TFA is holding it out to Luke.

The Will of the Force.

Has the Saber been trying to get to Luke this whole time?

Very mysterious. I want to learn more.

AplagueOnTheWise and oncafar like this.