main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming "Divines Smile On You, Friend" - The Elder Scrolls Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Talos of Atmora, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    I made this thread for all discussion in regards to The Elder Scrolls series of games. This can range anywhere from Bethesda themselves, the games or the lore itself. Since it's been a year since Fallout 4 came out, there should be talk of a sixth installment so...this will be useful.

That being said, I have no idea if there is already a thread like this. I checked and I couldn't find one but I'm sure a mod will inform me of that.

darkspine10 likes this.
  2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Muthsera

3. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Honestly, I'm hoping that they don't end up "streamlining" the series even more than they did with Skyrim. Because, at this rate, they may as well call the next game "TES VI: Fable".

4. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    1) Doesn't this belong in the Games forum? Even so, I'm pretty certain there was at least one Elder Scrolls thread there (yeah, too lazy to look).

2) I went and bought Skyrim all over again for the XB1. Yeah, I'm a console peasant and give negative ***** about it. That said, I'm falling in love all over again. It's a testament to its quality that a five year old game can still have such a hold on many a gamer.

TX-20 likes this.
  5. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I'm currently deep into a Morrowind playthrough, I've finished the main quests of Morrowind, Tribunal and Bloodmoon, and most of the Vvardenfell factions.

I'm currently making my way slowly through Tamriel Rebuilt's mainland content, while also doing Sotha Sil Expanded, and trying to balance a bunch of quests from Uvirith's Legacy.

It's a bit hectic, but still thoroughly engaging.

Morrowind is my favourite TES game, and TR's content is just so excellent.

I hope to fit in some more ESO around Christmas, I found it surprisingly fun when I eventually got round to playing it. Anyone else play on PS4?

6. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Did you find and do the quests for one of the hidden vampire factions?

7. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    In Morrowind?

I don't usually go Vampire in MW, it has too many drawbacks to me.

Besides, I prefer the Werewolf form, fewer drawbacks.

8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I just bought Skyrim Remastered on Black Friday. I'm excited to experience all the glitches and unintentional comedy again.

Darth_Invidious and TX-20 like this.
  9. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Yeah in Morrowind. IIRC there are a few vampire factions who give you quests, but you have to get bitten first by a vampire of that faction and then seek them out.

10. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Skyrim was a great commercial gimmick. Making x box owners buy those cute little plastic platforms and the little plastic figurines that you had to put on the platform to play the game. Genius!

11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm saddened there wasn't an Adoring Fan in V.

12. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    "By Azura, by Azura, by Azura! It's the Dovahkiin! Standing here, next to me!"

TX-20 likes this.
  13. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    It's like Heimskr is Talos' Adoring Fan.

14. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Off to games, we go!

@Talos of Atmora - we do have a general gamers thread on JCC, but this is best fit for Games.

15. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
  16. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    My introduction to The Elder Scrolls was Skyrim, though I eventually ended up getting Oblivion, downloaded Arena and Daggerfall on PC, and recently acquired and read the Greg Keyes novels The Infernal City and Lord of Souls.

I already obtained all achievements in vanilla Skyrim in my initial playthrough before encountering some problems, which eventually led me to switch to the Legendary Edition. In my Legendary Edition playthrough, I am waiting to level up a bit before going to Skuldafin and Sovngarde, already beat Dawnguard besides maxing out a Vampire Lord and an achievement or two, have two homesteads, Lakeview Manor and Windstad Manor, left to finish in Hearthfire, and am waiting until I reach level 60 before I do anything major in Solstheim in Dragonborn. I am looking forward to focusing on specialized characters, instead of trying to do everything like I have been doing up until this point.

I haven't done nearly as much in Oblivion as I have in Skyrim, since I prefer the combat system in Skyrim over Oblivion and don't have the add-ons yet, only the two main expansions as part of the GotY Edition. I have only really done a bit of the main quest, about to start The Path of Dawn, a few Daedric Quests, haven't worried about any of the faction questlines yet, waiting to reach level 21 before I worry about finishing Knights of the Nine, and haven't started Shivering Isles for much the same reason that I haven't started Dragonborn. The Infernal City and Lord of Souls have given me some more motivation to play Oblivion, since they connected to a certain Daedric Quest from Oblivion.

I have tried to play Arena and Daggerfall, but stopped for the time being because I have found them to be rather difficult and don't have a lot of hard drive space to work with. Morrowind is definitely something I want to play eventually, especially given the connection with Skyrim between Bloodmoon and Dragonborn.

17. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Zeta1127 My favorites are definitely Morrowind and Daggerfall. While I still like Oblivion, the level-scaling in it is bizarre. As for Skyrim, while I still like the game (especially with the DLC), I feel that they should try to reintroduce some of the things they left behind in the older titles.

18. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Oblivion was just made backwards compatible on Xbox One. Too bad my old 360 disc is probably too badly scratched to work.

19. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Bizarre indeed, I am having terrible time working my way through with Silver weapons, an Akaviri Katana and Dai Katana, Spellbreaker, and Blades armor, having barely reached level 20. I also don't really have much useful magic to work with. The Oblivion gate was a nightmare no matter whether I did it almost immediately or waited to be able to obtain a Transcendent Sigil Stone.

That was the problem I was having with my original Skyrim disc, so I took the opportunity to upgrade to the Legendary Edition in order to get the patches and expansions.

20. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    My tactic with Oblivion gates was to just make a beeline straight for the stone, unless there was some other quest in the plane.

TX-20 likes this.
  21. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    Morrowind actually is standing pretty good against time. It remains a favorite of mine in the series. Oblivion, my favorite part is when they kill the Captain of the Enterprise right out of the starting gates. Skyrim, I bought almost a month ago on PS4, (surprisingly I only have maybe 25 hours total on it) and it sucked me in again. The thing I dislike about Skyrim, is that they got rid of the classes.

22. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    That is pretty much what I ended up doing, since I don't have much in the way of efficient healing.

I actually prefer no classes, because none of them exactly fit the skills I want to use, the closest I could get was Crusader but it doesn't include Block. Though no classes also creates its own problem of being harder to level and get all of the perks in any one skill tree.

23. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Classes are a pain in the ass for me in tabletop RPGs and Morrowind only ever exacerbated that hang up by gating guild progression behind skill levels. It's one of a few areas where I'd say Skyrim offered a uniformly better experience. That and dropping weapon endurance.

Jedi Ben and darkspine10 like this.
  24. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    I like the freeform lack of classes in Skyrim. It makes it so you create your character through actually playing, though I can see the appeal of pre-deciding the stats for a roleplaying point of view.

Repairing armour early on in Morrowind (and magic stuff in Oblivion) is a bit of a hassle. You have to carry repair hammers, which can really weigh you down in the early game.

I made the trip from Ald-ruhn, up to Maar Gan, then all the way to Gnisis recently, with no hammers. By the time I got to Gnisis all I had left were my greaves.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  25. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Indeed, I have maxed out One-Handed and Block in both playthroughs of Skyrim, but have otherwise struggled to get all of the perks for Heavy Armor, Destruction, and Restoration in order have an effective set of combat skills. I intentionally don't even have any perks in Destruction and Restoration yet. I have had to resort to Two-Handed, and at the suggestion of my brother Enchanting and Alchemy, just to be able to effectively continue leveling since about level 50, I am still a few levels away from 60 and still probably won't be able to max out Heavy Armor, Destruction, Restoration, or Two-Handed by the time I get there. I have seriously considered resetting One-Handed and Block as Legendary Skills in order to more effectively level, but the Xbox 360 bug with resetting Lockpicking has made me hesitant to try it.

I haven't had much of trouble with repairing in Oblivion, though I am definitely not a fan of it. On Monday I ended up losing out on some Ebony weapons in trying to clear the first Ayleid Ruin one is likely to encounter, since I couldn't carry everything back in one trip and when I got back from dropping off stuff in my house in Imperial City, since I ended up retreating out of the area back into Lake Rumare.