main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Rate the Star Wars films, TPM to TFA

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by anakinfansince1983 , Dec 18, 2015.

?

Which Star Wars film is your favorite?

1. Episode I: The Phantom Menace

19 vote(s)
    3.9%
  2. Episode II: Attack of the Clones

20 vote(s)
    4.1%
  3. Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

103 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. Episode IV: A New Hope

81 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Episode V: Empire Strikes Back

180 vote(s)
    37.1%
  6. Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

41 vote(s)
    8.5%
  7. Episode VII: The Force Awakens

41 vote(s)
    8.5%
  1. Blake Starstrider

Blake Starstrider Jedi Master star 2

Apr 19, 2015
    With Rogue One just around the corner..

1) ESB 10/10
    2) ANH 9.5/10
    3) TFA 8.5/10
    4) ROTJ 7.5/10
    5) ROTS 7/10
    6) TPM 6/10
    7) AOTC 4/10

MOC Vober Dand likes this.
  2. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    I love all 7 films, but I will rank them today in the order I most want to REWATCH them right NOW, at this present moment.

AotC haven't seen it in awhile, great film. Love Zam, Kamino, Kenobi.

ANH Rogue One hype train! All time classic!

TFA seen it the fewest times. Great film.

TPM want to pay more attention to details I might have overlooked, like costumes, hair, makeup and the lightsaber duels are goat. Incredible score.

TESB top 5 all time film, always ready to roll! Watched it 2 weeks ago. And a month before that.

RotS love it, top 4 SW film, but a bit depressing for me right now

RotJ watched it a month ago, seen it probably 40 times and watching it with the PT social thread this weekend

3. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    1, Star Wars Revenge Of The Sith
    2, Star Wars Return Of The Jedi
    3, Star Wars The Empire Strike Back
    4, Star Wars A New Hope
    5, Star Wars Attack Of The Clones
    6, Star Wars The Force Awakens
    7, Star Wars The Phantom Menace

Darth Basin likes this.
  4. lookameatbag

lookameatbag Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2014
    Revenge of the Sith 10/10
    The Empire Strikes Back 10/10
    Return of the Jedi 10/10
    A New Hope 10/10
    The Force Awakens 7/10
    The Phantom Menace 6/10
    Attack of the Clones 5/10

5. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    5 or 7, 4, 3, 6, 2, 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    1. ROTS ---- 2. TESB ---- 3. ANH ---- 4. TPM ---- 5. ROTJ---- 6. TFA ---- 7. AOTC

Darkslayer and Zejo the Jedi like this.
  7. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    Nice, almost same as mine. I should be way stricter when it comes to TFA.

DarthKreVass likes this.
  8. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    ANH-ESB-TFA-ROTS-ROTJ-TPM-AOTC

ROTS/ROTJ are almost interchangeable on my list.

9. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Are we going to have a new 'rate the films' thread to include Rogue One next week? Since this is the Saga section, maybe the Anthology movies don't belong here?

In the case of a new thread like this - can we include all the spin off movies released so far? :D

There's just not enough love for the Ewok movies around these parts :p Or the The Clone Wars movie for that matter.

Darkslayer likes this.
  10. Zejo the Jedi

Nov 16, 2016
    I don't know, man, i don't think i'm gonna count Rogue 1 when i rate the movies. The episodes are the main saga, heart and soul of SW, spin-offs (3 upcoming main ones) and TV shows (TCW and Rebels) are just a nice bonus.

Alienware likes this.
  11. Zejo the Jedi

Nov 16, 2016
    double post

12. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Fair enough, and I think a lot of people would agree with you (actually, so do I - but I still rank all the movies). That's why part of my question was about just that :)

13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Tpm to rotj, tpm to e9, anthologies by themselves and everything combined. 4 threads.

Alienware likes this.
  14. Zejo the Jedi

Nov 16, 2016
    TCF-1138 And even i, a huge fan of TCW, don't count TCW "movie" as a movie, i count it for what it really is : 4 episodes of a Tv show edited together. I seriously don't know what was GL thinking when he decided to release it as a movie.

Sarge and PymParticles like this.
  15. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    ^ I think thats too many threads. In my opinion, stick with two: One for TPM-Episode IX, and the second for Anthologies. I think the anthologies need to be carved out because they depart from the linear Skywalker family story line and are conceptually different.

16. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    And feature a myriad of stylistic deviations. You could conceptually rank the opening crawls of Episodes I-IX, or John Williams scores for each, whereas the Anthology films are without openings crawls or John Williams' music. It just feels "unfair" to compare the Saga and Anthology films.

MOC Vober Dand and Bazinga'd like this.
  17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    It's all SW. Good enough for me

Darkslayer and TCF-1138 like this.
  18. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Agreed. As mentioned earlier, I put the TCW movie and the Ewok movies on my list when I rank the movies. They are huge departures in style from the other movies, but it's all the same universe, and I have no trouble comparing my personal feelings about all the movies, regardless of style. AOTC and TFA don't share a lot of similarities either, and those can go on the same list - so why not Rogue One and the other spinoffs?

Force Smuggler likes this.
  19. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Not ranking TFA until e9 is out. I can make a list of the movies, books, comics but not an expansive one covering everything. It's all sw to me.

JediLight likes this.
  20. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001

You are spot on about this though. Episode 8 and 9 has to build what 7 has done or 7 can lose "points" for me. For instance, we need to see why Luke was so coveted by the FO and the Resistance. We also need to an acceptable response to see why Luke left. Who is Luke Skywalker is the question I'm most interested to see over the next two movies.

Also Kylo Ren's redemption is an absolute must and IMO a certainty. You can't kill off Han Solo and make his son an agent of evil without a redemption story. If you don't believe in redemption (or this redemption), this saga's clearly not for you.

21. Zejo the Jedi

Nov 16, 2016
    "The New Padawan"
    "Castle of Deception"
    "Castle of Doom"
    "Castle of Salvation"

22. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Yes, it was originally intended to be four episodes of the show. They were then sewn together to become a movie, released as a movie, and - in my opinion - works well as a movie.
    I had a great time watching it at the cinema on opening day in 2008, and I still have a good time rewatching it about once a year.
    If you don't want to look at it as a movie, that's fine. To me it is, and I will continue to put it on my list when I rate the films.

Darkslayer likes this.
  23. JediChipKelly

JediChipKelly Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 3, 2016
    Maybe I'm old school (growing up seeing the OT movies individually on HBO in the 80's and not in trilogy form until SciFi started showing them back to back to back in the early 90's, but each movie should stand on its own and not be affected by the other.

ROTJ is a lazy follow up to ESB which set alot of great things in motion (who is the 'other' for example). But ESB is still the best movie, IMO, of the Saga despite the fact that ROTJ does an average job of tying up all of the loose plot points.

I can still watch ANH, ESB, and ROTJ in their own context and not let one affect the other, as I think that's why so many fans have problems when they try to tie everything together. Even if Episode 8 & 9 fail to tie up many loose ends from TFA, it won't affect my love for TFA. In fact, I am going to go out on a limb and say that Episode 9 will probably disappoint most fans because ROTS and ROTJ both failed in tying up the trilogies with a nice bow tie too.

24. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I can watch every movie on its own merits but as part of a Saga, parts that don't make sense now in TFA might make sense later on by E9.
    We might not know the full context of the scene until later on.
    All previous 6 movies threw things of previous movies on their head, so why not wait until E9 is out before judging?

JediLight likes this.
  25. Zejo the Jedi

Nov 16, 2016
    TCF-1138 But it's not a movie and never will be. It's nowhere to be found in movie section of SW.com. It's located where it belongs - with the TV show, it's episodes 3-6 in chronological order. 1 episode to conclude the Christophsis trilogy arc and introduce Ahsoka and then Jabba's son arc.